Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Transmission Mechanic
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
multis6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

I’m looking for an experienced Transmission mechanic to solve my problems that have developed on a 71, 4 speed swing. I have had it in and out of the shops 7 times Evil or Very Mad Mad over many months and no one can get the shift adjustment correct. Right now it will go into 2ed but pops out when the clutch is let out.
Is there any one left in western NY? I am looking for a shop that is with in driving distance of Rochester NY. Hears hoping...............
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

If all you are having done is adjust the shifting linkage at the shops you have taken it to, you will more than likely never have it fixed. No matter who you take it to. Unfortunately, it's more than likely something internal to the trans requiring a rebuild. Most likely the engagement teeth on 2nd gear itself are worn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

I agree. Wear develops on the individual engagement teeth of both gear and operating sleeve, to the point they won't stay engaged.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

Did any of the shops ck the shift rod bushing and the coupler?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

Two correct answers and one "samba" answer. Did they check the air pressure also?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
multis6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

The story goes like this……. It went in to get the 3ed gear sincro changed out & reverse gear to be changed. The shop tore it down steamed it then put it together with out a jig and tried to adjust it by guess by gibers. I eventually realized a jig was needed and made one from a junker. When I got the tyranny back 5 times there were issues. Took it and the jig to another shop and it came back with the issue of not staying in 2ed gear and difficulty going into other gears (may be a clutch issue)

Its winter in western NY and I got displaced from my garage till spring, so what better time to find a reputable shop.

I do not have the tools or knowledge to try to do a first time rebuild. I want to ride the thing!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

my addvice is to pull it out and send it to the guy that suggested checking the air pressure. he can fix it right.
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
my addvice is to pull it out and send it to the guy that suggested checking the air pressure. he can fix it right.

Applause Well said, and pretty damn funny too.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

The result of improper fork position (from not using a jig) is pretty much the same as installing a "performance" shifter or short-shift kit incorrectly. When the operating sleeve is held away from full engagement with the dog teeth, improper wear of engagement teeth rapidly develops, and pop-out issues will remain (even after correcting the improper set-up) until those worn parts are replaced.

In this case, it would be foolish not to replace 2nd gear idler and 1st/2nd operating sleeve. The problem will NEVER be cured until these parts are replaced.

This also illustrates why transaxle rebuilders HATE dealing directly with inexperienced home mechanics. Shifter set-up after installation is important. It doesn't matter if it's the same trans going right back in .. slight position change can still occur.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

There is nothing more annoying than getting your fresh built trans get chewed up by someone installing a new shifter not knowing how.

The complaint will be the trans is not working. Then asked if he/she had installed a new shifter --- then say yes.

When I build a trans, you will tell me if it will be going into a stock shifter.

The Empi ones are notorious for being pretty bad finding a workable spot.

The Berg shifters are very good if you install as instructed. I have seen one w/ the wrong shifter plate and did not shift right. Ordered a plate from Berg -fixed it.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

Just buy a exchange tranny from Rancho Smile
multis6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

Thanks for the input every one.
Rancho seems like the way to go in this part of the country.

Gears, thanks for the info an setting up the shiftier but its a low blow to us that were not born with knowledge base preloaded. The rest have to start from the bottom and work our way up. WTF !
Theconvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

http://geargaragenc.com/

This will save all your problems
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

multis6 wrote:
Thanks for the input every one.
Rancho seems like the way to go in this part of the country.

Gears, thanks for the info an setting up the shiftier but its a low blow to us that were not born with knowledge base preloaded. The rest have to start from the bottom and work our way up. WTF !

Low blow? It's not any different from someone destroying a new engine from an improper break in procedure. I get it, if you don't know, you don't know. We all were there at one point. There are circumstances where you HAVE to know what to do, or EVERY other instance to change/repair the situation will be negated. Regardless of who you get a rebuilt transaxle from, it can easily be destroyed in minutes with an improper shifter linkage/adjustment. It appears you've already "learned" the hard way about shifter adjustment, shifter fork adjustment, and tooth engagement. I see it as gears making an attempt to explain in detail the main issue that will need to be addressed in your situation before you will ever move forward, to help you not have it happen again. If you consider this a low blow, and don't have a local shop that's 110% qualified to work on Aircooled VW's, your time in the hobby is going to be very short lived.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

I am guilty of that myself..sometimes. And I am sorry if I get short. It is frustrating that I cannot be w/ this engine or trans that is not working and fix the darn thing. It is very frustrating trying to instruct someone -who does not know which end to try first -how to diagnose something from a keyboard.

So we can all pike down a little, and have a Merry Christmas!

In another thread, we are in the same boat w/ trying to figure out why this motor was not firing.

Won't this hobby be great if we can have someone close by and just help out? But we are so spread everywhere and far apart be lucky enough if we know someone who can come and help.

Bottomline is..we have to be pretty much all around in this hobby. So maybe we can all strive for that.

Merry Christmas, all!
multis6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need Transmission Mechanic Reply with quote

nsracing thank you for the mediation,
I agree with you that it is good to be well rounded in any hobby that we have an interest in and it is good when we can share our knowledge to bring others a bit more insight to what’s going on.
Side note: The keyboard is a GREAT tool to for this compared to what was available in the early 70s when I got my first 10 yr old bug. (Needed to take 40+ yrs off to raise a family) Now I have the time to pick where I left off.

Thanks “The convert” for the tip on the Gear Garage that’s what I’m looking for, I’ll give them a shout and see what comes of it. I happen to be going by that way in a few weeks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: