Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Clatter wrote:
DQDan wrote:

duplicolor pro enamel, as recommended on these forums.

Rattle bomb by any other name is still rattle bomb.
Spray paint will wash away first time it gets gas or oil on it.

Go ahead and bite the bullet, and buy some kind of paint that hardens by chemical reaction vs. drying by air.

(unless, of course, you plan on doing this all again soon)

Agreed. I'd probably use some black epoxy primer (my choice being PPG's DP series). Then shoot it with real paint and clear. This will seal it for a very long time, and once the clear has fully hardened, gas won't touch it.

Rattle bomb (spray paint) will look good for a while, but it'll also be easy to scratch, and if gas gets on it, it can lift leaving bare metal to rust. Remember, you DO live in the "rust belt" (the OP).

This idea that "rattle can" paint......is poor quality.....is not 100% accurate information.

It can be said....that you may not always get the best spray pattern quality....but even that is not true of every brand these days.

Spray cans are just packaging. I buy automotive and industrial paints and coatings by the quart and gallon and purposely have them put in rattle cans for convenience in the field.

So is that saying they are now inferior? No they are not. The last coating I put in a rattle can was about $500 a kilo. Its the same product now as it was before it went in the can.

You can buy crap in rattlecans....and you can buy top quality in rattlecans.

And.....just because they dry in the air instead of being "catalyzed"...does not mean they are inferior. Also drying in the air....does not mean that its just DRY.
Most of the polyesters and some of the polyurethanes in spray cans for example.....do not just dry.....they cross link or "cure"....and.....are in many cases better choices around grease, oils and fuels than an epoxy or a two-part urethane....because those can have catalyst degradation/spoilage if your cleaning and prep is not absolutely perfect.

For example the Duplicolor and VHT products.....most of them....are very high quality.....but you need to buy the correct product.....and you need to prep/prime properly for it......and post treat it properly.
READ THE DIRECTIONS. Many of them....including almost ALL epoxy paints whether they are single or two part for engine enamel usage.....need a "post bake" to remove the last of the VOC's....if you want them to really last

For example....the best engine tin paint I have found to date.....and it matches or beats ANY mixed at the paint jobber paints I have bought by the quart or gallon and sprayed onto engine tin.......is the VHT urethane/ceramic engine enamel. And they have much better chemical resistance and far higher temperature resistance than your average epoxy or two part urethane.

The trick of it is....It really needs some bake time. As the TDS notes....200°F for 20 minutes.

Its the lack of proper treatment and usage that gives far too many this idea that some of the specialty products in rattle cans.....are all just cheap crap like Krylon.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-engine-enamel

There are also aome superb quality products in the Duplicolor line. Duplicolor is a Sherwin williams subsidiary. Their primary business since the 1940s has been and still is.....putting actual OEM paints and coatings in small packages for short term and touch up usage. For quite a while off and on they have also produced the actual dealer available touch up paints in small spray and brush applied for numerous manufacturers.

Their vinyl and plastics colorant factory color match sprays are just about the best in the industry.
And.....its a "rattlecan" paint.....so I guess that makes it "low quality"? Wink Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Thanks Ray for a VERY informative post! We've got family that works at Sherwin Williams, we get a pretty good discount. I will research the Duplicolor options, thanks!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
Thanks Ray for a VERY informative post! We've got family that works at Sherwin Williams, we get a pretty good discount. I will research the Duplicolor options, thanks!

Just be sure to get what is recommended for the use and material...and think about how what you are putting it on matches what the product says its for...or how its different.

Pay close attention to humidity and temperature and mixing/shaking recommendations...and any primer, post or pre-treatment recommendation.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LOW N SLOW66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

I built my own roof rack for my 66 square as well simply to avoid paying 400 for one, and it's cool to know that no one has another one like it Very Happy all I used was 3/4 inch electrical conduit and the pipe bender that an electrician would use, which is basically a long pipe attached to the curved die and you bend it on the ground. It worked like a charm though! Here are some pics
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Slow, that's very similar to what I was hoping to do. Is your steel really 3/4"? I thought I had bought 1/2" electrical conduit however a quick mic shows .6 inch ID and .7 inch OD! Thats neither 1/2 or 3/4 and we probably have the same stuff. Do you plan to add any planks? Unfortunately the tubing I bought is stamped with a seam and inch notches to help with clocking the bends for an electrician. I suppose I could hide it on the inside or grind it off, but it is far from ideal. I'm thinking to try some aluminum tubing that would bend better. I think I can weld it but I need to get a different gas for my mig ($$$)
LOW N SLOW66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

It is definitely 1/2 inch tubing Rolling Eyes my bad! In my head I was thinking 1/2 inch but my fingers wanted to type 3/4 Laughing I will add slats at some point as well, just one of those projects that I started and haven't finished yet:) I have never seen conduit with the marks in it like the stuff you found, it must be a new thing. But if you can find some without the marks, the stuff works great and bends really nice!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

I (along with my brother ) had a great time meeting you this morning Dan. You're a true car enthusiast. If you need any help, you got my number.

For anyone else, my brother bought a few items from Dan and it was a great experience. If he's selling something you need, don't hesitate to go for it. Great guy.
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Thanks much, Joey! great meeting you guys too. I found some gauges and I'm willing to do a gauge/alternator swap, we both will make out on that one! I would probably drop my price for the two big chunks, I kind of want them gone. $100 for both? Shoot me a text.
See you soon!
Dan P
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Hey Guys! Update time! As with many of the projects out there, progress is not always constant. Well, I'm getting there and wanted to share!

For starters, a quick flashback- I bought a 66 Roller squareback with no title and a blown engine about a year ago. I began to hunt parts and learn what I had gotten myself into. I've made a lot of progress, and so far I have:

1. Got a Title! About 5x back and forth with the Cali DMV and a previous owner in CT., I m now the legit owner of the car!!!!

2. Bought a lot of parts. Fenders, Hood, Gauges, rubber, stock piling began.

3. Bought a parts CAR. Seeking a useable engine, dash, bumpers, trans I bought a 68 square. LOTS OF PARTS!! Came with a complete solid 72 Square pan, and nice dash and pretty bumpers!

4. Met some local type 3 guys. Rob with his 65 notch project, Tommy with his fastback and Tom with his 68 Square project, Joey with his Super B and family square project, I have a new gang of friends all wrenching on Type 3s in my area. I've sold some parts to all of them, and each has helped me in some way as well!

The block out of the 68 SB parts car is a later (72?) block, and all of the heads I had (1 set single port off the 66 and a pair off the FI 68 dual port) had cracks in 1 of each head, so I bought a set of Empi heads. I then bought factory dual port intake manifolds and mocked up the arrangement with my 66 carbs. It's looking like my stock 66 32 PDSIT -2 and -3 might be too small for these stock intake manifolds.

I love visiting this forum for motivation, thanks in advance for any advice. I hope to have an engine running on the bench before spring!
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

I hung a couple fenders to see what she would look like, and she had a striking resemblance to her grand daughter 95 S6 Avant.

Ohio lets us register and display "model year' plates fro our historic vehicles. As a Porsche 944 Turbo owner, I could not refuse this 50 year old Ohio license plate on ebay for $15!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
Hey Guys! Update time!
I then bought factory dual port intake manifolds and mocked up the arrangement with my 66 carbs. It's looking like my stock 66 32 PDSIT -2 and -3 might be too small for these stock intake manifolds.

Sorry to be the 1 to burst your bubble, but those are not factory dual port t-3 manifolds. For 1, they are not cast iron. For 2, they don't have a balance tube fitting sticking out of them (will look like a piece of 5/16ths fuel tubing). I'm guessing what you have is an older pair of aluminum dual port manifolds, that were probably for a set of Dellorto 36 single barrel carbs (FRD's). They also look a little tall, which means they might be for a bug, bus, or ghia. The real factory cast iron dual port t-3 manifolds are about the same height as the single port manifolds (a quick way to check them). Like I said Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's better to know sooner rather than later. I hope this helps.

P.S. Weber ICT manifolds have the same bolt pattern as Solex carbs. Wink Dellorto FRD carbs are further apart on the bolt holes.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Hey Bob, thanks for the info, but I'm still not sure what I have. For starters, they do have vent holes (not visible in the first pics) and stand up next to my single port intakes and look the same height. Yes, they are aluminum. The barrel is 36mm vs 34mm for my single ports. I bought them on Samba advertised as VW Type 3 dual port intake manifolds. (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1938679).

Anybody want to trade me for the stockers I seek?
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

I see now what I should have bought, the cast iron ones, like these:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1938681

Is there any reason why what I have won't work? perhaps that 36mm hole with just 34mm of carb to seal it up?? The carb bolts line up fine,..

Oh well, could be worse!

Thanks for the info!
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

I noticed it has been over a year since I posted progress, so here it is!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Nice work. Very Happy If your existing manifolds will allow you to bolt the Solex carbs to them, you can run them.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

UPDATE TIME!
SO a lot has happened with my 66 SB project since we last chatted.
Did ya'll ever find a parts car nicer than the one you were gonna restore?
And then you end up with TWO cars waiting for resto?
Well, that's what has happened to me. I guess I'm probably along for the 5 year plan but thats OK. I've got the time. And I've got the parts off of about 4 or 5 cars.

My white 66 is going to be awesome someday, but it was on hold as I saved up a few grand for interior, paint and rubber. I have a complete rebuilt, ready to install engine waiting as I watched craigslist for interesting stuff. Then I found a barn find 45 year stored 69 SB in Royal Red/Black. Damn. (Dad's car was a 69). No engine, no title. At the moment that's my specialty. I sent off to Vermont for some plates and a reg document, for under 100 beans I'll have a doc that Ohio accepts as proof of ownership and will cut me a title!

This car was parked in 1974 with a blown engine. The motor was given to a neighbor who owned a shop but had not a clue what to do with a suitcase motor it never came home. It sat in the garage for 45 years until I dragged it out and cooked my winch. ( I didn't care...that harbor freight winch vs getting the SB home!)

Anyway, the fresh brakes I had are going on the 69, the fresh engine I built is going in the 69, and I'm replacing shocks and any other rubber I can find, having the fuel tank cleaned and I hope to be on the road way sooner than my ETA with the white 66! I know you all love pics so let me set you up..
The barn find car has a little rust, but very local. The front bumper mounts, and the tops of the two front fender were gone but the rest, like the battery tray is awesome solid. When I took off the door panels the og plastic is still there. All of the other cars I've come across were so heavily messed up by POs and past lives. I want to peel off the plastic to pop a dent out but, boy do I want to leave it alone just as well!!

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

As Tram would say that door is cherry mint. That door seal is beautiful and really nice. That 69 is a real survivor, and a nice starting project.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MikeLee57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Cool story. Sweet ride. We all go back with our cars. Built my first car a 62 ragtop with bondo, a JC Whittney catalog and no clue what I was doing. But it was $50 and I worked every day after school and the summers.

Good luch with the Squareback. it will be worth it.
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Ohhh that new one is nice looking.
Good score there.
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New T3 Guy in Ohio, hello! Reply with quote

Oh wow what a great Squareback day for me!! This picture shows up in my inbox, from the Previous owner (PO) of my one owner 69 SB project. It is our car, in 1969, on a ferry in Germany on their European delivery vacation! I'm making a poster of this one. The original owner's first name was Gudrun, and after some research I was surprised that is a female! There she is in the drivers seat, looking up at me!!!!
Hi Gudrun! I love your car! For it's 50th Birthday I'm giving it a new engine (and more!)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: