Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RubNDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

I'm trying to source a pair of those hard to find 1300 Dual Port Heads, but I'm confused about part numbers.

I found a 113 101 375A, but the barrel opening is listed as 94mm, whereas my stock 40hp would need 90.5mm I believe...so I can't imagine that will work...right?

Tom Wilson's book "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagon Air-Cooled Engine" lists P/Ns for Cylinder Heads on page 47, but I don't see a 1300 Dual Port listed.

Can anyone help me with my confusion here?

What P/N should I be hunting for if I want a 1300 Dual Port that will fit to my stock 40hp?

I realize big-bore or a 1600 is an option, but I'd like to keep my 40hp, and strap on some dual carbs without having to fabricate intake manifolds.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

1300 dual port?? crazy!

Must have been Europe only

Yes the opening would be 90-90.5mm
burner208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

It's a Canadian engine. My Baja herbie super beetle is a 1300 dp ab code block iirc.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

The Wilson book is addressing the US market, export models only.

One could argue that the US market was the "real" market, but whatever...

Those heads are no longer available new, and can be hard to source in good shape, as they are notorious for cracking. The 44hp 1300 was highly-stressed by aircooled VW standards, and it's kinda miserable to drive, you have to get it to "scream" before changing up a gear, gutless.

I have yet to meet someone who was willing to go through the steps of welding and re-machining the heads, so much simpler and more rewarding to go to 1600 upon rebuild. I say weld and re-machine because the clearance around the 1600 intake valve is already too big for the 1300 spigot, IIRC, and the 1300's chambers are like 44cc?

So, there are a lot of them that get tossed out, to be replaced with the 1600 version, in Europe, maybe you can convince someone to ship some? Sorry, I won't send any if I find some good ones, 'cuz I need a pair for a "matching numbers" project.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

Could you power sleeve the 77mm cylinder top like the turbo guys do and use a 1600cc dp head?
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

I have a set here they read 113 101 375

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

I am a Canadian too, around VWs since the mid 60s and this is the first time I have ever heard of a 1300 dual port head! Never offered for sale in Canada to my knowledge, you must have a car that was imported from Europe!
ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

i had a set.. its now installed in my dads 1600dp... it had a 113 casting..

last year i think i pm'd modok about the port volume on those vs 040 vs a 1600 113 casting sb head

porting my SP head for my brother's project
https://youtu.be/OS_mVjQuqgk
ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

i had a set.. its now installed in my dads 1600dp... it had a 113 casting..

last year i think i pm'd modok about the port volume on those vs 040 vs a 1600 113 casting sb head

porting my SP head for my brother's project
https://youtu.be/OS_mVjQuqgk
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

RubNDub wrote:
I'm trying to source a pair of those hard to find 1300 Dual Port Heads, but I'm confused about part numbers.

I found a 113 101 375A, but the barrel opening is listed as 94mm, whereas my stock 40hp would need 90.5mm I believe...so I can't imagine that will work...right?

Tom Wilson's book "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagon Air-Cooled Engine" lists P/Ns for Cylinder Heads on page 47, but I don't see a 1300 Dual Port listed.

Can anyone help me with my confusion here?

What P/N should I be hunting for if I want a 1300 Dual Port that will fit to my stock 40hp?

I realize big-bore or a 1600 is an option, but I'd like to keep my 40hp, and strap on some dual carbs without having to fabricate intake manifolds.

I can probably find you a set. Send me an email [email protected] with the specific info and I will check the warehouse....

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atafonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

We have them here in the UK, lots of them. Engine code AB.
Abel
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

113 101 375A I thought this head number was just the first German 1600 DP head part number for the 1971 Year.
These are what I have on my 1971 VW Bus.
1971 Bus Cases ranged from (AE 000 002) to (AE 0 529 815) according to Technical above. My heads came on my AE case motor which is within the range of numbers for the 1971 Bus engine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

while I am not sure.......it seems likely that the only difference in them is the combustion chamber and cylinder opening size,
casting number may actually be the same.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

I had 3 or 4 pairs of these in the '80s. Steven's Machine used to import them from Europe, along with the smaller diameter end and center manifolds. The 1300 dp heads were essentially a "poor man's Okrasa kit" for 40hp engines.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atafonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

There was a 1300 DP also here in the UK with the AE code, the last ones. They used a dual preheat pipe on each side of the intake manifold too, quite different.
Abel
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

atafonso wrote:
There was a 1300 DP also here in the UK with the AE code, the last ones. They used a dual preheat pipe on each side of the intake manifold too, quite different.
Abel

My bug came with that engine, but i upgraded it, was just too slow Razz

I kept most of the parts (P&C's, heads, endcastings, carb) sold the exhaust and the center section, i would sell you the parts if you need them but the shipping would probably cost more than the parts Razz

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
RubNDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

Curious the 375 is considered to be a 1600DP - seems the US charts I've seen would support that...

Just to be clear, I don't currently have DP Heads. My canadian engine is remanufactured, with 113 101 373 Single-Port Heads.

My objective is to find a set of DP Heads that will fit. I'm not partial, but John Muir's book indicates that the "1300 DP" will fit.

So am I correct to say that "stock" 90.5mm (77mm cylinder) barrels from a 40hp will fit the 375 Heads?

In my mind, I would expect the diameter of the combustion chamber could be problematic for mating up to my stock barrels. Many of the DP heads presumably have larger diameter combustion chambers, that would exceed the diameter of my barrels...am I off base on this?

I also would expect that how far down the valves move could be a factor in head compatibility...
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

What is the OD on those 77's? 90mm? Aren't 1600's 94mm my 88 thick walls are 98mm I think.

Found this link: Part number for 1300 DUAL port heads.
RubNDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

OD on the 77s is 90mm

I've heard of people fabricating centering rings to fit smaller barrels into larger heads. I'd imagine this would only work if the combustion chamber was small enough in diameter.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1300DP Cylinder Head Confusion Reply with quote

If you fly cut a 1600 dp head down to where the chamber no longer cuts under the cylinder and use those centering rings I don't know why they wouldn't at least fit. You may be able to use one of the new thicker material heads. Or perhaps weld up the 1600 stock head.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: