Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Being young is a lot funner
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

I just was thinking on something that's making me laugh. I own a 71 super and a 73 standard that I restored back to original, in pretty much new condition. Both covered and put away until spring. Go back 45yrs and I bought a 71 standard new and had a ball beating a new car thru enerything. Blizzards were the best. Only car on the road. I guess you enjoy things different at 20 than at 67. Jeff
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

Yea, when I was in my early 20's I drove my first 67 everywhere. I didn't give one thought to what would happen. 8 bugs down the line and I now daily drive another 67 rain, sun or snow. I'm 58 BTW.

My current 67 is not restored or perfect. But I do enjoy the drive. I drive it anywhere that I please. Some these days are shocked by the notion. But I love driving an old beetle into the parking garage at work and having folks look my way as I exit the 50yo beetle, while they get out of their heated seat, cruise controlled, 24mpg behemoth.
No thanks. I'll drive the beetle. Very Happy

So if your felling nostalgic about the years that you drove your first car, no matter what the conditions. Do what a friend of mine does. Buy a POS beetle.
One that has good heat and is mechanically sound. But is however butt ugly and you don't care what happens to it.

That way you can enjoy your restored cars in the driving months. And still have the funner times with the POS that you don't care about. Shocked

Old Guy's Rock!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

I bought my current bug in 2012, a year before retirement. It was my daily driver back then. I had owned many acvw's through the years and never thought of not driving it in inclement weather. When it rained, it rained. When it was hot outside, I opened the windows. It was just a fact of life.

It wasn't until 1983 that I bought what you might call a new modern new car with air-conditioning. It was nice on hot days, but I tended to go back to old acvw's, with a smattering of other--more modern--new makes in between.

After an eighteen-year hiatus of not owning an air-cooled, I sold my two-year-old Ford truck and went back to yet another acvw--the one I have now. But unlike many who haunt this forum, I live in an area of the country (Northern California), and we rarely get snow at my elevation, and salt is not used on the roads, regardless. It rains, of course, but only in winter; although a time or two in summer we may get a freak rain, but that's rare.

So, location does matter. California, Florida, the Southwest states--all provide almost year around acvw driving conditions, without fear of rusting out your car. I can't imagine having to board my bug for winter. But if I lived back east where some of you guys live, I think I'd still drive my bug in the snow. I'd just keep up the maintenance on the pan/chassis.

I will admit, on days approaching 100 degrees F, I drive one of my other cars that have a/c. But I really don't drive the bug as a daily anymore, regardless; although, in winter, I do drive it.

By the way, it was 76 degrees F today. Weird, huh?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

Yeah, being young was more funner. But being 69 (in halfway decent shape) is not so bad either.

When I was young money was tight, time was short, (my Bug was new) and I was always in a hurry. Things were happening somewhere and I needed/had to be part of the action. I drove my Bug like there was no tomorrow; because there was no tomorrow, just 'now'.

And Bugs back then weren't that special either. Many looked down upon our foreign-looking Bugs like they were some kind of joke. Those who drove things like Mustangs and GTOs laughed. And I must admit, my white and turquoise '60 Chevy Impala convertible was a definite chick magnet, not so much my '70 Beetle.

Today, I don't need chick magnets and I'm not in any hurry. Things are happening somewhere but I could care less. My lovely '60 Chevy convertible is long gone but me and my funny-looking '70 Bug remain.

But I'm still out everyday in my Bug(s) and enjoying every minute of it. Although these days, I'm making different rounds. I kick back, enjoy the scenery, get in everyone's way while I suck up Social Security. Don't need to be anywhere, anyplace at any time. Nice, very nice.

I've nothing do but to enjoy driving my Bug until I croak. Hopefully not in my Bug, or too soon. You never know. Laughing
Rag00oll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

I drove a 72 SB that was from Arizona for two winters here in PA. So much fun to drive and beat around in all weather conditions. If it had been rock salt I'd probably still have it but the rear heater channels developed some badddd rot. They use a new brine now. It's HEAVILY concentrated salt. They spray it everywhere like it's going out of style. So when you drive you have WET corrosive concentrated salt going everywhere.

My 71 bay doesnt see salt EVER. Except one time I picked it up from the inspection station last year. Just as I got in it started to pour a really heavy WET snow. The roads were a dry powdery white before from the brine that had dried up. Not even kidding in a 3 mile wet drive in salt it rusted brand new tie rods, flash rusted the front beam, ate both rocker panels, started eating my passenger dog leg and my passenger quarter panel. I even washed it once I got home... incredible how it did that so quickly. All the new brake lines developed corrosion instantly. I rubbed everything down underneath in oil to stop the corrosion.

My 68 bug is from california, it saw salt twice two years ago. I thoroughly washed it but it wasnt bad because the brine trucks hadnt been out. Thought about driving it on dry salty days this year. Decided against it. I want to enjoy it and put work into it to make it a better more fun car to drive. Not patch up what was solid, besides I just got a whole new front clip and paint job up to the A pillar.

The salt brine is nuts. It's rusting out brake lines on NEW cars in less than 5 years.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

I drove beetles (old 6 V cars) in 1980 to 1985, never gave a thought of the weather. In those days you picked up a driver for $100. Drove till it fell apart, got a new one. Mine never fell apart, I just came into a newer car (Golf vert) and let it go. Sweet little car.

After 10 years of golfs, I got my present beetle in 1996. After a divorce I wanted a cheap simple car, and I always wanted a gold super beetle with the curved windshield. After 4 years of everyday driving, the beetle was retired for an A/CVW. Ie a VW with A/C. Still got the beetle, but after a major overhaul 10 yrs ago, I don't want to expose it to salt anymore.

It was fun back then, but it is definitely fun today as well, to drive up at a gas station and chat with all the people who remember my car as "the best car in the world".

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

I have a 78 which doesn't even see rain, and I'm almost done with a complete restoration of my 74SB. That will never see bad weather. After all the time, $ and energy I put into that car to make it the best looking I can, I sure don't want to risk it by going out in the brine, salt, snow, bad drivers, etc. I had Beetles when I was in my 20's and beat the crap out of them because they weren't of any value and were a dime a dozen. Now at 55 I want to keep my cars nice. I thought about getting a "beater bug" because they sure are fun in the snow, but the last thing I need is another car to take care of. I just view my Beetles as 4 wheel motorcycles.

About 2 years ago I saw a 50's oval in a Lowes parking lot. The guy must have tuned pianos for a living because he had his business name on the side of the Bug. It was obviously his daily driver because it was worn, weathered and all rusted out. I thought it was a shame to see that car in that state of condition.

But to add to the original post, being younger was funner. Minimal responsibilities and the world was waiting to be explored. Now instead of experiencing the fun things life has to offer, I have to deal with kid issues, friends/family who have illnesses and needs, and a parent who is not self reliant anymore. Going for a ride in my Bug allows me to temporarily escape all the stress.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

Like rag00oll posted, you simply can't drive a 40+ year old car in Western PA, and not have catastrophic rust issues in a year/two. Working at a shop in Northeast Ohio for 10 years, it was sad to see dozens of "Western" clean cars being bought to drive all year specifically to relive the owners youth, only to have the cars need pans/channels two years later. It's bad enough to have 2012, and newer vehicles needing rust repair with all of their modern plating/coating of sheet metal from the horrible crap they put on the roads, older vehicles get destroyed much quicker. The crap dries on the road, and creates this corrosive "dust" that eats anything it comes in contact with, so you basically can't drive your car again until a week long rain in April when it finally gets washed away. I switched out some weeping pushrod tubes a week, or so ago, and upon opening the garage door, found an inch of the first snow of the season. I made it home before the DOT trucks started out. I have an unusually long steep driveway, and the Beetle idled up it with never spinning a wheel over the snow, even with a 195 tire.

After learning/witnessing some bad incidents at local tracks, I've stopped bracket racing my car. The longer I have it, the more I've thought of keeping it in positive "safer" situations.

When you are younger, you have less responsibility, and usually piss poor judgement. It's only after you have "witnessed life" do you realize the concequences, of your actions. It's only after you have lost friends from freak, or stupid accidents that may/may not have been prevented, or have had to clean up the mess from a lack of judgement do you start thinking about things differently.

I've had just as much fun with a newly purchased friends 67 Beetle in 2017 as I did in 1989 with the car in my avatar. A lot of things change in your life over a period of 20-40 years. Some things you simply get over/outgrow having been there done that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rag00oll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

Yeah. I'm waiting for the day they decide to change to some idea to keep roads clear that isn't catastrophically corrosive. Rain and snow isn't the problem. Driving a bug in the snow is a blast and it doesnt get stuck! I'd drive year round if it weren't for salt.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

Yuppers young and dumb and full of fun....to go back 30-40 years would be an awesome thing....I had my first ACVW in 1978-79...it was a rotted out 1971 Super Beetle...drove it all over the place too...snow sleet freezing rain...scraping the inside of the windshield due to no heat...fun times for sure...I would go back to that era in a heart beat...

MikeC
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

When I was 16 my Dad got is first and only Beetle ('71 standard).

I remember when it would snow, he would only have to shovel enough for the snow to clear the bottom of the car and he would back out of the driveway and go to work. My Mom's '73 Malibu wagon needed a full clearing before it could move.

He never let me drive his car (without him, which basically means never), although I did sort of learn to drive a stick in it.

Last edited by scottyrocks on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

goober wrote:
I don't need chick magnets ...

My VW was a "golddigger filter", kept undesirables away. Future Mrs. Cusser and I always traveled in my 1970 VW, even a mid-summer trip to California.

Also, since 1985 I've shaved only for a few weddings, figured that since I didn't like to shave that a gal had to accept me as I was.

There's a good Twilight Zone episode on old folks getting a chance to be younger...and in the feature film too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

VWs are possibly the best production snow vehicle ever. I was passing 4x4 trucks on the mass pike in a foot of snow.
weak point is the light front end. Couple 1" metal plates in the trunk helps, keep the tank above half if possible.

Oh and the rusting....pesky detail, that.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

I'd like to try my bug out in snow. Seems like back when I was a kid, or even in college, we's always get a decent measurable snowfall or two every year. Hasn't been one in at least 4-5 years here now... global warming must be a thing

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

1978, 17 years old. somehow convinced my parents I needed a car. Bought a beat up 68. I then somehow convinced them I needed to cut the front and rear off the car and make it a baja bug. WHAT where they thinking! I drove that car for 10 years straight with NO ac in phoenix! Took it to the mountains, to the desert, got it stuck a million times in the mud. It very seldom failed me. Of course I did all the work myself (read no money!) I built the motor, the interior and did the body work. It, at the time was a chick magnet. I was showing my daughter pictures of it (and me, and various GF's who happened to be in the pictures) and she asked if anyone back then even owned a shirt or knew what a barber shop was. Yes, it was funner back then.

side note, I did ask my dad, may years latter, why he allowed me to build that car. He laughed and said it was because he knew it would take a lot of work/time and when I was working on it, he knew where I was. Smile i never did tell him that his plan didnt work so well ( out the side door of the garage, anyone who lived in the late 70s knows what I am talking about). yes it was a funner time.
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

Here's another funny thought. Like I said at the beginning of this post, I'm now 67. About 2-3 years ago we had a storm that dropped about 3ft. of snow. I told my wife I was thinking about putting the battery in the 73 and go for a ride, just like before we got married. (46yrs). First she said grow-up. Then she made a good point. salt,salt,salt. Very Happy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I'd like to try my bug out in snow. Seems like back when I was a kid, or even in college, we's always get a decent measurable snowfall or two every year. Hasn't been one in at least 4-5 years here now... global warming must be a thing

sb001 signature wrote:
1969 autostick sedan, owned since new

If you've owned it since new, why did it never get driven in the snow?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

Thankfully no salt here yet- but at 49-1/2 I still love taking my beetles out in the snow- especially on drift day at my daughter's (former) HS- sorry about the big pics-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is still fun conquering weather that intimidates newer car owners.

But don't leave out your camper-

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but my measure of fun has simply evolved as I've gotten older. Having just as much fun now as I have all along. I don't WANT to do the stuff I did when I was younger, but I certainly wish I'd known then what I know now...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Being young is a lot funner Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Are those the original Formula Vee decals or added recently ? Mine were on my 1970 when I bought it (1972) and the Arizona sun has definitely taken its toll:

The little black stick-on pinstripes were also on my VW when I bought it. The dealer/first owner information stated that it had been a demo car at the dealership.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: