Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal issue.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Turn signal issue. Reply with quote

Hello, I usually hang in the bug sections, but I'm helping a friend with his 1972 Karmann Ghia.

He's having a turn-signal problem. The emergency blinkers work fine, so I don't think the issue with the turn signals involves the relay.

Here's the issue: using the turn-signal switch, the left blinkers blink only once, and they begrudgingly do this a few seconds after moving the switch. There is no clicking sound indicating that the turn signals are on. Also, the right side blinkers do nothing at all--not even a single blink.

I'm suspecting the switch, but have others encountered a similar issue. If so, what did you find--other than the switch at the column? As I said, the emergency blinkers work fine.

Thanks for any advice,

Tim

Richard O'Brien
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal issue. Reply with quote

It does seem like the switch. You can verify the circuit by jumping each side at the T4 connection. Cleaning the grounds for the bulbs is also a good thing to do.It is worth trying to clean up the contacts in the switch first to see if it starts playing nice. If not, it is money well spent to get a SWF replacement. The repos are junk.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal issue. Reply with quote

For easy speak. T4 is the 4way plastic spade connection in the wire jumble behind the dash. One input is from 88 switch, the other from signal switch. Output is to front and rear of signal circuit .
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal issue. Reply with quote

Swavananda, thank you.

I'll check out the wiring and grounds. If it's the switch, I'll tell the guy to get an SWF, but you Ghia guys seem to have to pay a lot more for parts. Damn.

My first car was a 1969 Karmann Ghia that I bought new in 1969. I had it a year before flipping it on its top after having a tire blow out. Many lessons learned on that one. Since then I had one more Ghia, and many bugs and buses--and one single-cab that I lament selling to this day.

My current bug is a 1974 Sun Bug Super Beetle. Pretty much restored, and the parts--even NOS or goof usd German--are pretty cheap. But it sure doesn't cut through the wind like the Ghia I once drove.

Thanks again,

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: