Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rewiring my buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring my buggy Reply with quote

Not a bad idea about the brown wire. I may look into that if I completely rewire. I do remember seeing brown wire I think at O’Reilly. We have a place here called Skycraft that is like a Radio shack on steroids that deals in surplus parts. They have shelves full of wire of any and all colors. If I decide to completely rewire I’ll be going there and getting my wire.

As an example I found open barrel connectors for $.05 yesterday!! I’m going back this weekend to scoop up the rest of what they had.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring my buggy Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

.... The tab at bottom of three light cluster goes to 12 volts with key on....
It powers the ALT, OIL and high beam (idiot) lamps...

Don't you mean ALT, OIL and turn signal indicator ?

Yeah... Its hell getting old and not having a VW speedo around for reference (all VDO gauges here)....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring my buggy Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Here is a tip to make things easier ... pick a different color of wire for grounds and only use it for grounds. Brown is probably the best choice because lots of vehicles use that.

It seems none of my FLAPS carry brown wire, but I picked up a roll of brown the last time I ordered terminals from Delcity and I am using that exclusively for grounds on all my wiring projects. The advantage is that lots of vehicles use brown for ground so that makes it easy to remember.

Recently installed a new factory style harness in a 1957 Chevy pickup, and when I ran a couple of new circuits I used the brown for grounds. Looks like factory work under the dash.

YES its very European on vehicles that use DIN codes to have brown as ground... And newer "computer" cars...

Personally I went a slight different way.... All UNFUSED 12volts are RED and ALL grounds are black.... Blue for high beams (sky) green for low beams (grass).... And other silly stuff

Also number tags ... If you tag something #12 on one end, the other termination is also #12, you can sort of go by the numbers and forget colors....Put number in middle of wire run on diagram....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Best of all is wiring kits with function printed directly on wire...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: