Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 fastback brake problem.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

Hello fellers, I'm stumped with my brakes on my 1966 fastback and I hope someone can help out.
First, I've checked most of the links in the samba, and of course, I can't find anything that might help me.

To start, I have 914 rims on my fastback. I started hearing some chirping sounds coming from the rear so I decided to remove the rear drums and check the brakes. I didn't find anything wrong but when I was putting back the rims, I stripped the treads of the hub.
I bought new rear hubs from a respectable vendor and after a week of driving it, I began getting a pulse (kinda like the front rotors being warped) at the brake pedal.

I bought new rotors, brake pads and wheel bearings and installed them. Well the problem is still there. I drove my fastback on the freeway and when I stepped on the brake it felt like I have ABS brakes.

Any help would be appreciated.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

check the shaft, I had a drive shaft with screwed threads that drove me crazy trying to find the problem

https://www.instagram.com/p/8tOv8Nxrfd/

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
check the shaft, I had a drive shaft with screwed threads that drove me crazy trying to find the problem

https://www.instagram.com/p/8tOv8Nxrfd/

Thanks for the reply W1K1. I just took the drums off and checked the shafts. They looked okay. Only issue I noticed was the rear brakes needed adjustment. I’ll drive it to work today and I hope that fixed the problem.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

look at the front, make sure the calipers were ground down and not hitting the wheels. I know you said rear, but check. When you run aftermarket wheels on a disc type 3, you usually need to grind them down
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
look at the front, make sure the calipers were ground down and not hitting the wheels. I know you said rear, but check. When you run aftermarket wheels on a disc type 3, you usually need to grind them down

Thank you Erik for the suggestion. Weird is that my fastback has been my daily driver for several years, with the 914’s on it and Im not hearing any noise like if it’s rubbing up front.
Yesterday coming home from work, I pulled the ebrake, holding the button down of course, and i felt the shaking coming from the rear. That was without pressing the brake pedal. So I leaning towards the NEW rear hub being the problem.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

begood56vw wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Thank you Erik for the suggestion. Weird is that my fastback has been my daily driver for several years, with the 914’s on it and Im not hearing any noise like if it’s rubbing up front.
Yesterday coming home from work, I pulled the ebrake, holding the button down of course, and i felt the shaking coming from the rear. That was without pressing the brake pedal. So I leaning towards the NEW rear hub being the problem.

ok, yep. with that added info, I agree
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

Update; I adjusted the rear brakes and got on the freeway. Oh my, just driving 65 mph, the fastback was shaking like crazy. Then after a short time, it would feel ok. After about 5miles, I decided to take the Vdub back home. To scary to drive it. I’m still kinda stumped. Any help would be great.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

Make absolutely sure the hubs are torqued to the proper value. If you are satisfied that they are, pull them and look them over. Do you still have the old ones to compare? There have been some reports of new hubs being not so great, but I haven't had any personal experience with them.
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

I used the torque tool which makes it easier to remove and torque the axle but so I believe it’s properly torqued. I don’t have the original hub anymore( in the garage it went). Sad.
I will take it off and check it. I did buy two new hubs and still have another new one that I will install. I hope that’ll fix it. Fingers crossed.
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

Another Update;

I changed the hub for another new rear hub, torqued it to the proper numbers and drove it on the freeway. Sad
When I press on the brakes, it shakes like no tomorrow. I'm now thinking it might be the rear drums that are bad. Sucks.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

Did you leave off the OG allen head bolts that hold the rear drums on? They will interfere with most aftermarket wheels. I have to run 1/4" spacers on the rear to get the dust covers to fit on my OG Fuchs 914 wheels.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

Thank you Mr. Fisher. I will remove the allen head bolts from the drum and see if that'll help out. When you say "1/4 in spacers", are you referring to placing washers between the drum and rim?

Thank you.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

The EMPI #16-9926 aluminum wheel spacers I use are actually 3/8" thick I see. I ordered longer lug bolts from http://www.ezaccessory.com/Lug_Wheel_Bolts_s/20.htm
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Did you leave off the OG allen head bolts that hold the rear drums on? They will interfere with most aftermarket wheels. I have to run 1/4" spacers on the rear to get the dust covers to fit on my OG Fuchs 914 wheels.

I removed the OG Allen bolts and drove the fastback. I still have the pulsating brake pedal feeling. ☹️
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

begood56vw wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I removed the OG Allen bolts and drove the fastback. I still have the pulsating brake pedal feeling. ☹️

Sounds like a drum out of round. Might try taking it to a good auto parts place and have them do a slight cut on them to true them up. Explain to the guy there what's going on, and see if he can help you. If that doesn't fix it, then I'd look at replacing the stub axle as it might be bent.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

Thanks Bobnotch for the suggestion. I will remove the rear drums and have them turned. I’m leaning towards bad drums. Fingers crossed.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

begood56vw wrote:
Thanks Bobnotch for the suggestion. I will remove the rear drums and have them turned. I’m leaning towards bad drums. Fingers crossed.

Keep in mind that good used Original German type 3 drums are better than the new repop drums. This is mainly because the repop drums are cast as 1 piece, and are machined off center.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

Dang.... I didn't read the message soon enough. I just ordered two new drums. We'll see if that fixes the problem. Thank you.
stonecoldcars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

I would agree with warped drums(out-of-round). I've had the same issue on a beetle I use to have. and fixed it with the drums turned at a machine shop.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 fastback brake problem. Reply with quote

If you can get it down to Santa Cruz I can check it out for you.

A 2nd set of eyes can be invaluable sometimes...

My first thing to do would be to put an indicator on the rotors and drums and see if anything is running out.

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: