Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

Heres how i moved the battery in my 65 Ghia to underneath the back seat.

I have a 1965 Ghia with a rebuilt 1600 and converted to 12V

I found a battery that fit at NAPA Auto parts, its slightly under 6 3/4 inches tall with side posts, its the shortest full sized battery i could find and it doesn't seem to hit the underside if the seat.

NAPA sells the wires that that screw to the battery as well, buy both of them.
.....and whatever you need to solder two battery cables together((

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It does not seam to hit the bottom of the seat, it also sits super snug in between the heater pipe and the cable...

...there is absolutely no wiggling or shaking of the battery in any direction, (dare i say its perfect)

The part number for the battery is 75101 at NAPA.
(Sorry for all you other people outside of the US)

The Next step was two splice the old Battery cable along with the wire going to the Voltage Regulator together, and solder them to the new Battery cable that will go to the battery
(The positive battery cable you get at NAPA is slightly bigger than the battery cable on the Ghia, so it shouldn't be an issue to splice the two into one.)

(I flipped the Red wire around and cut off the part that should have gone to the battery in order to drill a smaller hole in the fire wall...)

Next is two drill a hole in the fire wall and feed the wire thru.
I drilled the hole right above where the existing wiring harness goes thru the fire wall.

Soldering old battery cable along with the positive battery cable i bought at Napa turned out to be the perfect length to run down behind the door panel to the battery.

( I have a 65 Ghia with a 1600 12v engine ) different years moved some wires around and moved the battery from one side of the engine bay to the other, so you might have to experiment with different ways to rout your wiring.

The Ground cable i just bolted to one of the body bolts and tucked the rest of the wire away.

At some point i will fix a tie down for the battery, but until then i am confident that it will stay where its at...

...Under the seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

At a bare minimum put a ratchet strap around the battery - there should be space between the floor pan and the rear seat base to slide one through. The last thing you want is to get in an accident and have a 20 lb brick loose inside the car.
TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

It is on my list, along with putting a rubber grommet in the hole in the fire wall and tidying everything up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

Nice work Cool
I wonder if the original designers wanted the battery located under the seat as with the Beetle? Its so much cleaner IMO.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Nice work Cool
I wonder if the original designers wanted the battery located under the seat as with the Beetle? Its so much cleaner IMO.

Well at least the Ghia doesn't have metal seat springs to arc the battery and cause a fire ( yes that happens Rolling Eyes )
TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:

Well at least the Ghia doesn't have metal seat springs to arc the battery and cause a fire ( yes that happens Rolling Eyes )

It doesn’t matter anyway with this battery, I wanted one with side posts so that they wouldn’t hit the seat.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

I’m wondering if you see merit in the use of grommets where the battery cable passes through the holes shown in the photos.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

I put the battery under the rear seat also. I used a conduit fitting called a strain relief. The yellow thing under it is a sealing washer. The ground bolt has a hole drilled in it the size of #12 wire for the starter solenoid.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I’m wondering if you see merit in the use of grommets where the battery cable passes through the holes shown in the photos.

Nicholas

Crude but effective.

Max
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Nice work Cool

You know - I've never really thought about it, but that's indeed a very good point.

It does seem odd that the Karmann Ghia was not originally designed to have the battery mounted under the rear seat where the Beetle had it, and later where it was placed in the Squareback, the Notchback, the Fastback, and even the Thing.
Perhaps that is because the Karmann Ghia design was not originally penned by the Volkswagen designers/engineers.

VW seems to have simply accepted the Karmann Ghia design exactly as presented to them (a pretty large assumption on my part, perhaps - I'm really just guessing about that) without making little tweaks here and there to bring it more completely in line with their other product designs.

As I think that point through a bit more completely, though, I realize the only other Volkswagen products in production back in the early 1950s were the Beetle and the Type II in all of its different variations.
Of those, it was only the Beetle that had the battery mounted under the rear seat so I guess that really hadn't yet become a regular hallmark of Volkswagen design.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
It does seem odd that the Karmann Ghia was not originally designed to have the battery mounted under the rear seat where the Beetle had it...
The only reason the Beetle had the battery under the rear seat was because there was no room for it in the engine compartment. If there was, it would be there. Shorter, more direct wiring that way and a bit less cost per vehicle.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
Nice work Cool

You know - I've never really thought about it, but that's indeed a very good point.

It does seem odd that the Karmann Ghia was not originally designed to have the battery mounted under the rear seat where the Beetle had it, and later where it was placed in the Squareback, the Notchback, the Fastback, and even the Thing.
Perhaps that is because the Karmann Ghia design was not originally penned by the Volkswagen designers/engineers.

VW seems to have simply accepted the Karmann Ghia design exactly as presented to them (a pretty large assumption on my part, perhaps - I'm really just guessing about that) without making little tweaks here and there to bring it more completely in line with their other product designs.

As I think that point through a bit more completely, though, I realize the only other Volkswagen products in production back in the early 1950s were the Beetle and the Type II in all of its different variations.
Of those, it was only the Beetle that had the battery mounted under the rear seat so I guess that really hadn't yet become a regular hallmark of Volkswagen design.

Im guessing that they couldn't find a battery that fit. I only found one.
Back in the day there weren't as many companies and factories pumping things out, so there would have been fewer sized batteries to choose from in the first place. ..I don't think one would fit if it had not been for the side posts.

It is more practical to have the battery in the engine compartment.
at some point i want to add a Positive Lug somewhere on the fire wall just incase i need to jump start the car

It is also a VW, not a Ferrari a Porsche or a Mercedes. If the Karmann Ghia was more than a nice looking VW they probably would have gone through the effort to hide the battery.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

TwinkyZulu wrote:
I'm guessing that they couldn't find a battery that fit. I only found one.

For future reference, an Odyssey PC925 sealed dry-cell battery fits very nicely under the Ghia's back seat. No fumes or leaks to worry about either.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

I’ve got a 6v optima laying on its side in mine. Rather small in there with lots of room to spare.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

Where does the battery cable go when you mount it under the rear seat?

Some people seem to have the cable go backwards toward the engine using the existing hole:

Others seem to have the cable go down to the starter motor using a new hole:

Why the difference?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

I used an existing hole and drilled a hole. Battery cable passes thru an existing hole to the starter using a strain relief conduit fitting (waterproof) Then I drilled a hole for the ground connection. First I drilled a hole the diameter of a 10ga wire thru the center of the bolt for the starter wire. A little RTV on the wire makes it waterproof also. Cool

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

Here is mine...

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Here is mine...

I would think connected first to the frame...but connected to the body is good too.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

I sanded down to bare metal on the body mount, and used a wire brush to clean the treads... It's a solid ground front to rear.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating Karmann Ghia Battery under Back Seat Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
I sanded down to bare metal on the body mount, and used a wire brush to clean the treads... It's a solid ground front to rear.

Isn't there a rubber gasket between the frame and body there? The Germans didn't connect the neg. of a battery to the body first. It was either a stud on the frame or straight to the engine like Karmann did. That being said, yours works, it's your car and it looks good. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: