Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hood release?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy2cats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Hood release? Reply with quote

I found a recycling business in my travels here in Georgia and they have 7-8 beetles in various states of decay. All but one were made after 1971.

I’m searching for rims and a hood for my 70. One of the cars has a really nice hood but I can’t get it open. Is there a hood release on the later cars? The latch button presses easily but the hood won’t budge.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood release? Reply with quote

Hood release cable pull lever inside glove box

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
tommy2cats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood release? Reply with quote

Thanks!!! I’m missing a glove box too. I’ll add that to the list.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hood release? Reply with quote

you can cut the hood handle and unscrew the 'halves' from the latch and the hood will open
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hood release? Reply with quote

when I pull the hood release lever the latch opens fully releasing the hood. However, the hood does not pop up far enough to clear the latch so if I push the release lever forward the hood re-locks and won't open. So what I've been doing is 1. pull the release, 2. go to front of car to open hood, 3. go back to glovebox and push lever forward, 4. go back to front of car and close hood.

I appreciate the extra steps I get on my fitbit but it really seems inefficient. Can the spring on the latch be adjusted so the hood will pop up a little farther? Could my spring be worn out and in need of replacement?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hood release? Reply with quote

Sounds more like an alignment of the spring-loaded pin and the socket problem.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hood release? Reply with quote

Wedge something between the body and the hood down low, I have used a wood wedge, some really dense foam, a door stopper, anything that will give a little lift to the hood when you pull the cable. Packing it in tight, only needs to kick the hood about an 1/8 of an inch to release from that stop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: