Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 amp alternator
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Just to follow up that the thermodynamics of running an electrically driven AC compressor have not changed since 2016...or since 2001 or whenever this was first proposed.

Bigger alternator ...cool.

Bigger alternator for AC...less cool
Geirskogul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

I installed a Remy around the time I posted that and it's been all giid since.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Jivermo wrote:
Has anyone bought one of these Remy or Wilson units, that could comment on the quality?

I installed one of those Remy units a couple of months back and the bearings are already whistling when under load. I only ran a couple weeks before it started. I'm hoping it'll last long enough to get my other unit rebuilt with the original components I already sourced.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
Jivermo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Any update on sources for new 70amp, or more, alternators? The Wilson and Remy are no longer available, at least for the time being. Is the Van Nuys place still using the 55 amp unit, and upgrading it? What about a cooling fan? I would think it necessary for the unit to stand a chance of lasting.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

I run the BNR ("the Van Nuys guys") standard size alternator in the up-rated amperage... and it works great.

I use Volvo Dave's adjustable voltage regulator....
https://www.prancingmoose.com/AdjustableVoltage.html#externalregonly

and I have it adjusted to put out a steady 14.4V ...

It's been working perfectly for 2+ years.... and my batteries charge up quickly... which is a good sign given that they will readily accept 50A each...

as far as i know, the combination can't be beat Smile

maybe there is another solution for a drop-in alternator ... i know there was a 914 guy making a custom alternator replacement set up for the Type IV .. but good luck with that ... he stopped making it but there's a thread with some great info .. looks like there is a Bosch potential fit unit that could be had in up to 220A ... which would be enough to support even the 180amp Sanden 12V a/c compressor....

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=324239

for something that just drops right in and works/looks like stock.. the BNR uprated alternator + Volvo Dave Adjustable digital voltage regulator... I believe, can't be beat.

Remember to charge your batteries to full, let them rest, and then run the engine for a little while, before you adjust the voltage regulator ... you don't want to adjust it while your batteries are still pulling a load .. or you won't get a correct voltage reading.

I think a lot of people would be surprised if they realized how much capacity is being wasting on their house battery setups by having the wrong voltage (which can also be due to a diode based voltage isolator dropping the voltage by a huge amount... I saw -0.8V on my not-too-old marine spec one, before I replaced it with a Thunder TDR15100 digital unit [no voltage drop on that at all].. combine that with a non-adju voltage regulator that might only be peaking at 13.8V to begin with...)... a lot of people are rolling around with their house battery at 60-70% all the time... particularly when using LiFePO4... if you do the math on a 13.8 - 0.8V charge to that house battery, it was actually only getting to 30% charge max...
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Thanks for the link of the voltage regulator, I will be looking at that to fully charge my LiFePO4 house batteries when they come in.

Tempting to get the 75 amp BNR ("the Van Nuys guys") also for a better charge.
I hear tho it is tough to replace the alternator in a 77 bus Evil or Very Mad

Likely would have to pay to have that done...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
Thanks for the link of the voltage regulator, I will be looking at that to fully charge my LiFePO4 house batteries when they come in.

Tempting to get the 75 amp BNR ("the Van Nuys guys") also for a better charge.
I hear tho it is tough to replace the alternator in a 77 bus Evil or Very Mad

Likely would have to pay to have that done...

Look through this thread as well.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388028

This article

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

https://alternatorparts.com/cs130-cs130d-series-alternators.html

Others have used the Delco CS130 on type 4. It was also used in some water cooled VW and Saab. Its a pretty close fit ...close enough to modify and work....and is 105 amp. That last site makes them up to 140 amp.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Thanks so much Ray, great info!

tristessa wrote:
Looks like a standard Delco CS130-type alternator, which you can get brand new for under $100 if you look around a little. I've seen them with outputs as high as 160a...

Raygreeenwood wrote:
Yes...I have been looking at one for my type 4..

Did you eventually buy one Ray?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
Thanks so much Ray, great info!

tristessa wrote:
Looks like a standard Delco CS130-type alternator, which you can get brand new for under $100 if you look around a little. I've seen them with outputs as high as 160a...

Raygreeenwood wrote:
Yes...I have been looking at one for my type 4..

Did you eventually buy one Ray?

No....not yet. This is one of those things that is on a list that stays .....literally......clipped to the visor in my Golf. I also have a copy if the list in my briefcase notebook.

As I get around all day any day.....if I get a few minutes....run across something on the list or have excess money Laughing ......these are items/tasks that get done. But I am glad when others bring the thread up. It pushes me back to the "to do" list.

I did get to check out a CS130 in a shop on someone elses car on a watercooled engine back in the fall. There are several different cases for this alternator.

And the trick is finding one with a pulley or shaft that fits your pulley. Really.....if you f8nd the basic CS130.....the case is close enough that between washers,shims and maybe a bravket tweak....its not that hard to fit one in a type 4.

The work required will be spacering and shimming the mounting at the hinge and arc shaped bracket....along with aligning the pulley to the fan. Not hard work....just tedious.

Also from what tbe guy at the shop noted....these alternators have several versions that can leave the mounting points the same.....but change the case diameter between those mounting points.....or change the depth required behind the alternator. ....which could be a problem in our engines.

Also....from reading in these links....there was what,was called the "iceberg" model.....which had a finned rear housing to take away more heat from the rectifier and bearing.

While that sounds great.....I dont think so in our engines. More sizein the wrong place....and also unlike the Chevy's and GMs these came in....not a lot of free flowing air and room at the backside of an,alternator in a type 4.

Also.....these alternators....like our original Bosch models......cool by flowing air from the rear through the front. However....unlike ours.....they are not set up to use the fan shroud as a forced air supply. They have a rear air grate inlet....but the air is PULLED through the alternator by the pulley fan.....so this makes getting the pulley right with the fan .....important.

The hemmings article I posted earlier speaks about important little details lime mounting bracket spacing and clock positions....and also plug location clock positions.

Also......when looking at fans......look through the "quick start" company page. They havd a lot of knowledge and detail. It may be work calling them to ask questions. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

"..but change the case diameter between those mounting points.....or change the depth required behind the alternator. ....which could be a problem in our engines"

That was one of the concerns I had..
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

The 55 amp alternator in my 79 bus finally packed it in so I have decided to install a 70 amp unit in its place. I notice a slight difference in the 70 amp alternator to regulator harness wiring in that a black wire comes form the alternator side of the harness as shown in the picture below. Does anyone have any idea what it is for? The 79 harness just has the blue wire dash light connection.

I have another 70 amp alternator and the harness is identical. One came from a 76 and the other a 77. Both had BA6 gas heaters installed. Pulled the alternators about 6 years ago and both worked properly when pulled. Hopefully that is still the case. Both complete alternator to regulator. The Bentley I have makes no mention of the 70 amp alternator. Possibly a connection for the BA6?

Unfortunately the mists of time have clouded my memory as to what the black wire was attached to. Thoughts and comments please.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

here is a bit of information that seems relevant to this discussion--

a new, very expensive (but 160 amp) alternator that i recently discovered for T4

https://www.powerlite-units.com/remanufacturing/alternators/rac680.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and re: 70 vs 55A wiring
maybe these might help?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7646835
https://www.ratwell.com/technical/Alternator.html
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

this looks helpful
https://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/possible-group-by-of-72-79-bus-alternator-harness.9433/

"As can be seen by the photographs, there is a proper connector for the wire connection (Blue Wire) to both the Dash Alternator Warning Light and the Heater Blower Fan Relay (Terminal A). On some models, there is a Black Wire to provide Battery (12 Volt) Voltage to other component(s) in the engine compartment and is included on this harness with the proper connector for this purpose. If not needed, please disregard."
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Forgot to answer my previous post. While doing a continuity check of the 70amp wiring harness, I learned that the black wire is connected to the B+ wire going to the starter.

Some installation notes:

A Dorman 85684 alternator wire boot is suitable for the Alt. B+ terminal rubber boot.
Headers had to come off for the 70amp unit to clear.
Cleaned all wire terminals Including the Trans to frame ground.

Alt. working well after 3 weeks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: