Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

While im just getting up to speed on my duel sport Thing (on & off road) build. The research on line is jumping me all over the world. What amazes me is that often times I am redirected back to the Samba to some obscure thread from Years past. Im literally spending way more time researching only to find it burried here somewhere. Only so much modification information can be interchangeable with other body styles and that is why im one that would truly appreciate and benefit from a Modified Thing sticky.

The 181's are unique enough that seldom does the off road section of the Samba have accurate or educated input on these matters. Nor do they even care. Which is fine as they are geared towards Baja Bugs and dune buggies.

Going through the sticky threads i find that there are so many that have DEAD links, Pictures, and other information that leads no where. While I understand that it is no fun to clean up old threads it makes it hard to take spending time in the sticky topics worth the effort. Time spend sifting through the material could be spent more wisley elsewhere.

It would sure make since to have the one place on the entire world wide web that one could go to for this information be the Samba 181 section? Maybe split it up into two catagories, Custom street and Custom Off Road?

I fully realize that off road modifications might not fit into what the majority of 181 owners might approve of but I truly beleive that a current up to date off road 181 sticky would get a lot more visibility and interest for the forum from the entire 181 universe. Specially for those who intend to use them as a true duel sport vehicle. God knows if our roads get much worse we all may be off roading soon! Cool

Of all the places to look for this type of information it seems logical that it would be here... And a lot of it is! Sifting through mountains old dead links is the problem. Thanks for your consideration on this issue. And as always if there is any way i can help to make it happen just let me know. Thanks again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

Well i guess crickets chirping is the answer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

I don't "run" anything on this board, I just read post and comment trying to help others or post about my build.
What I have found is there are those that are new and trying to understand what makes a 181 different, those that are going back to stock, lowering, raising, mild offload and gonzo. AND what tires fit.
Truth is on this board you have way more different interests than any other board on samba.
When I did/still doing my build I posted progress and posted question and sometime got crickets. Don't take it personal. I have had to "figure" almost every problem out myself because my build was "different" than any other I saw on this board and "offload" board. I would continue to post questions on what you need and hopefully you fill find the right fish bites your hook to answer your question.

BTW what info are you seeking maybe I can help. Look at my build and I am sure I have had to trouble shoot your problem already.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

im a car builder by trade and have an extensive background in long travel sand cars as well as old american iron. I have also had a couple forums in those related fields. I honestly just see a need for a place where one can ask about Thing specific related off road modifications. There really isnt a place as you have found as well. Im more than qualified to get through this build but as always have a few questions and I think that there will be many not being a vw Guru, much less a Thing Guru. Lol just like now... If you wouldnt of stepped forward the chances of me stumbling across your threads most likley would never of happen. Why not have a place where the answers could be found easley? Not a biggie... Just a suggestion.

So i looked through your pics quickly and im curious where the tie in to the floor pan are located and how they were tied in? Seems the floor is pretty thin to plate like i see so mant baja bug guys do. Oh and thanks for the responce it is appreciated.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

Saddlesore1 Your build thread should be in an off road sticky!

I had the opportunity to read your build thread last night. What a well thought out and executed build of your 181. By looking through it you answered a couple of questions I had as far as clearance for the "A" pillar of the cage. Loosing the windshield latches and making the new style was one issue you salved for me. But I might of missed what you did with the latches at the top of the frame where the rag top latches are? Did you decide to cover the cage roof with something and forgo the attaching locks for the rag top?

Thanks once again for making me aware of your build thread! Have a feeling it will be a great reference for me in the near future.

Last edited by Metal Twister on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

Reading though your post I will attempt to answer some questions. I am sure it will invoke more and that is great I am more than happy to help

Cage had large plates above and below pan for more support. It is also tied into the seat belt mounts on the B pillars (2 Bolts) as well as ties into custom made shock mount (hoop) that holds the 4 shocks in the rear.
As for the top I need to head down to the upholstery shop and have a custom bikini top made. I have the drawing just other things pulling at the $$$'s. The So Cal hot sun is annoying when it beats down on my head. The drawing I have is for the top to slide into channel at the top of the windshield and wrap around each cross section of cage and strap down to the original loop area on the back of the car.

any other questions ask away.

Shawn
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

I have a very nice like brand new aluninized exhaust which was most likley the best option before the body lift. Now its just asking for issues with the rocks so im looking for a suitable replacement. Was thinking I would like to do a digital desert camo look when it finished, so the chrome and shinny stuff is not going to be used and what already exists will be painted. With that said a black off road comp style exhaust might be in order. I can easily forgo the deck lid and lower cross brace for exhaust clearance. Was thinking about fab'ing up a custom half door but then I saw yours... Who makes that exhaust? Im just trying to figure out how happy I want to get with the sawsall.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

Short answer custom

Mine was/is an exhaust from Kymko. They make a thing exhaust that is tighter. similar to yours however if you where to cut at the flange of upper and lower and add a piece of bent tubing and re attach at the flange you would there by rotate the entire assembly up and tighten to the body. I runnin 2 types of mufflers. Cheap cherry bomb for the street so I can hear myself think and a Bassani with baffles out for the desert.

I would not suggest cutting enginr cover its ugly and lots of dirt. You already
have a huge gap between the engine and body.

Shoot me your number via PM and I can always take a photo and shoot a text if you need me to. As long as I dont have to crawl under. Im getting old and fat and the ground is a pain in the ass.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

saddlesore1 wrote:
Short answer custom

Mine was/is an exhaust from Kymko. They make a thing exhaust that is tighter. similar to yours however if you where to cut at the flange of upper and lower and add a piece of bent tubing and re attach at the flange you would there by rotate the entire assembly up and tighten to the body. I runnin 2 types of mufflers. Cheap cherry bomb for the street so I can hear myself think and a Bassani with baffles out for the desert.

I would not suggest cutting enginr cover its ugly and lots of dirt. You already
have a huge gap between the engine and body.

Shoot me your number via PM and I can always take a photo and shoot a text if you need me to. As long as I dont have to crawl under. Im getting old and fat and the ground is a pain in the ass.

LOL... I was concidering the exhaust mod as you mentioned as a temp fix until i can figure out just how i want to tackle the back end... Im a function over looks guy but if I can have both it is well worth the effort! Pm sent...
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

I really recommend an exhaust that gives the ground clearance.
Mi e from A-1 doesn't stick out.

Also I have a Thing SHop Bikini top that is great in the Mojave desert.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

Just ordered a couple u bends and some 1 1/2" exhaust flanges. I will play with it and see if i can make it work. If not its no big deal. I can fab one up or buy another if required. Time will tell! Thanks for the input.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

Metal Twister wrote:
I have a very nice like brand new aluninized exhaust which was most likley the best option before the body lift. Now its just asking for issues with the rocks so im looking for a suitable replacement. Was thinking I would like to do a digital desert camo look when it finished, so the chrome and shinny stuff is not going to be used and what already exists will be painted. With that said a black off road comp style exhaust might be in order. I can easily forgo the deck lid and lower cross brace for exhaust clearance. Was thinking about fab'ing up a custom half door but then I saw yours... Who makes that exhaust? Im just trying to figure out how happy I want to get with the sawsall.

How does that run with a Pinto/Progressive carb on there, plus no preheat?
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

Typical Weber .. No flat spots or any other issues for that matter. I havent off roaded it yet so not sure how its going to react to extreme angles or whoops? Is there issues with them?

Last edited by Metal Twister on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

Yes...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386388&highlight=progressive
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

Dont know what to say? Runs great... I am at sea level and it never gets cold here so maybe that has something to do with it? It was set up by a buddy who owns and runs a vw shop here in town. He had it for a day and I cant imagine wanting any more out of it. Here again I haven't had it in the dirt yet? Might be a different story. I am running an electronic ignition??? Im happy
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: duplicate post Reply with quote

duplicate post
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

what size is your motor. Mine is a 2 liter and I have a single weber with no heaters runs great. Produces lots of torque for the larger tires. I like the single because it is more stable in offroad setting and I can get to the small ports to blow out any dust that it may suck up. with duals it is more challenging to get to.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

Its a 1776 and anxious to get it to the point where i can get it out to the desert to see what it can do
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

The question is what are your long term plans. If you rebuild and go 2L or larger you will want a single 48 and tuned appropriately. If you stick to the 1776 for a while and do not want to "waste" $$$ and want to go to a weber I would get the 48IDF and choke the S out of it and jet appropriately. I think you will find the performance of the weber is far superior to any other options available.
I have replaced the solex's on my 60 Porsche with dual 40's and found the performance is so much better. The same is said for my Thing
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Thing / Duel Sport Thing Sticky suggestion... Reply with quote

There are a ton of things I need to do to it to get it close to what I want. Right now I want to get the floors in, the cage built, seats bolted down and see exactly what I have. I know the guy who built the engine for the previous owner and he says it’s fresh with only a few hours on it. Once I get it down to Superstition for a weekend I will have a better feel for the short and long term goals. For now I’m just going to have fun fabing and driving it with very low expectations. The key for me is to have fun with it no matter what stage it is in. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: