Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old Speed Front Disc Brake Install Pics
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Old Speed Front Disc Brake Install Pics Reply with quote

Since I found it difficult to find, here are some install pics/instructions of my front brakes from Russ @ Old Speed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1) Wheel off (duh)

2) Pull off all to knuckle (see Bentley)

3) The caliper plates were supposed to be labeled left/right. Mine were not and just had “X” and “Y”. This is the drivers side. I dry fit and they both work, but calipers should sit lower so pic on left is correct.

Here is the plate installed on the passenger side. I used blue loctite.

4) Kit comes with new bearings/seals so follow Bentley. I used a large socket to seat the inner seal.

5) Here is the wheel assembled with newly packed bearings. Caliper installed with blue loctite. The kit came with matched spacers that were labeled to match the brackets. Also installed the included braided brake lines. Included grease caps were not as cool as the machined ones from Wagenswest, but they are going to be hidden so not a big deal. They appeared machined a bit wider inside - they were a perfect fit and tapped right on. My stock grease caps did not fit.

6) Remove residual pressure valve as mentioned in other threads. I replaced mine with one from CSP. Pictured on left.

7) Bleed brakes. I use a power bleeder. For these Willwood, only need to bleed top 2 bleeders (inner/outter). Done.

I took one short trip around the block since but it started pouring rain. I’ll break/bed them in when the weather clears. Thanks to Russ for the setup.

Last edited by lintbrush on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Speed Front Disc Brake Install Pics Reply with quote

Do you have a link for the kit?
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Old Speed Front Disc Brake Install Pics Reply with quote

No website. They do have a Facebook page and Instagram, but I worked exclusively via email ([email protected]). Just search for them here or google Old Speed. They’re in Paramount, California.
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Speed Front Disc Brake Install Pics Reply with quote

So how are you liking them? I’m leaning toward this kit more and more...
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Speed Front Disc Brake Install Pics Reply with quote

They’re great! My only reference are my drum brakes, but I had completely redone them a few years back - new German MC, cylinders, lines, etc. They worked fine. Around town they worked and I was able to lock them up if I wanted/needed. But 55 to 0 was not as great. Especially if in stop/go traffic in California traffic for a bit then need to brake from freeway speed 0 suddenly when some idiot cuts in front of you. The new discs require less pedal pressure and brake much better. I do wish they had instructions with torque specs. All said and done, I’m happy. I was worried since I read that going disc without a booster would be trouble. I haven’t had any issues or regrets.
autohaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Speed Front Disc Brake Install Pics Reply with quote

Russell (OLD SPEED) is one off the BEST for quality products
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: