Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Degreed Cam
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Degreed Cam Reply with quote

So today I degreed #1&#3 end of my WEB 86B (will do other end tomorrow, ran out of time). So exhaust open and close is spot on the cam card, but intake is off 6 degrees open and close (card says 22 & 58 I got 16 & 52). So do I run it as is or get a degree gear set and move it, which will change the exhaust?
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Degreed Cam Reply with quote

Did you do it by the duration .050" method or by centerline method? It really does make a difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Degreed Cam Reply with quote

I'd check to see if lifter is hanging up in bore and not following lobe. I've had this happen.
degree wheel is secure on end of crank? (and accurate?)
Yes if you move the cam to re-index the intake, it will change the exhaust events.

Here is a tutorial I did when I was doing some independent work a few years ago. Try this, but maybe check the notes I mentioned above. It would concern me to have the exhaust match, but have the intake off that far, provided everything is going as should.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/goodbetterbestautoparts/photos/?tab=album&album_id=530455747092252

Good luck,
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Degreed Cam Reply with quote

And if it really is what you say, I would ask for a replacement cam. Somebody was too busy when grinding the cam. 6 degrees out is just too much.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Degreed Cam Reply with quote

Use the centerline method. Find TDC with the head off, setup your degree wheel. Install the head with the #1 intake valve spring. Bring the intake to maximum lift. zero the dial indicator, move to .050 before record that number, move to .050 after and record that number.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Degreed Cam Reply with quote

Are you sure your dots line up? If I remember correct each tooth is 6 degrees. Also measure as close to the cam as possible, tolerances stack.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Degreed Cam Reply with quote

Went out and checked the other end of can today. Same way as the other yesterday, Found true tdc and measured .050 at cam (stock lifter with a machined extension to stick out case half). Same deal today, one lobe measured on the money and the other 6 degrees off, but opposite than #1 & #3? Ended up using the test lifter that was giving correct reading on all four bores just because, guess what, I got the correct and repeated measurement on all four now, so i'm set.

Put barrels and head and lifter on one side set up pushrod and rockers and verified lift at valve. I feel much better now, just need to cut pushrods and final clean so I can final assemble longblock.
ARR #3
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Degreed Cam Reply with quote

That's good. I don't see how a different lifter would change anything unless it was bottoming out. But then you wouldn't be able to rotate it. Anyway good news.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Degreed Cam Reply with quote

Not sure, didnt make sense, the one extension does have a little runout?
ARR #3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: