Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bellows87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi,
I currently own a 1966 beetle and it came with these wheels, i was told they were 1966 only wheels. The thing is, i am having alot of trouble getting hubcaps to fit. Is it possible for someone to confirm the year of my wheels?? They have been painted so no numbers etc on the back of the wheel.

Many thanks

Abbey
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

They look like 66/67 wheels to me. Which hubcaps are you using? They take different ones than the earlier years.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba forum! Very Happy

Without seeing the date code . . . they certainly look to be 1966 or 1967 VW type-I or type-III wheels.
Here's some hubcaps for ya . . . https://lanerussell.com/products/hubcaps-beetle?variant=1311195916
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

there should be a date of manufacture stamp on the inside of the rim. at first glance they appear 66 or later. the 66 and later caps are not an easy fit, even stock, with aftermarket caps who knows?

I much prefer the early mounting method with springs on the rim, but thats not what is correct for a 66.

The flater hubcaps fit the 66 and later rims, the domed hub caps fit 65 and backrims.

Good Luck, Bug On, Now cover them naked wheels!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
The flater hubcaps fit the 66 and later rims, the domed hub caps fit 65 and backrims.

!966-1967 hubcaps fit 1966-1967 wheels!
1965 hubcaps . . . or 1968 hubcaps . . . will NOT fit 1966-1967 wheels!

What you need to know . . . There are THREE different mounting styles for Beetle hubcaps!
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

I’ve read that the 65 domes caps will fit but you have to modify the lip to fit the notches in the rims. Is this not true?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

If you have the correct hubcaps, here is how I install them.
There are three bumps on the rim that hold the hubcap in place. In your photo, they are in about the 10, 2 and 6 o'clock position on the rim that is on top of the stack. Place the hubcap in place between two of the bumps such as the 12 o'clock position and give the hubcap a smack with your fist at the 6 o'clock position. Should pop right into place.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
If you have the correct hubcaps, here is how I install them.
There are three bumps on the rim that hold the hubcap in place. In your photo, they are in about the 10, 2 and 6 o'clock position on the rim that is on top of the stack. Place the hubcap in place between two of the bumps such as the 12 o'clock position and give the hubcap a smack with your fist at the 6 o'clock position. Should pop right into place.

Thats where some aftermarket caps fail, they are so thin and/or poor fit that you end up denting them putting them on.

Some retailers sell the 66 67 as same part as the post 67 part. what are the difference(s)? The general appearence is very simular between these early and late flat style caps. Will the later cap fit 66 67 rims, and 66 67 caps fit later rims, or not?

I got a 66, orignal caps and rims, not easy to install, I also have a 61, and 65 , and 58 and them caps that use the springs on the rim snap in really nice.

Any how, now that I own a 66, I am most curious... what are the cap and rim differences compared to the later 68 and up ones?

Thanks, Keep a Bugin!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

1965 and earlier hubcaps attach to the wheel via spring clips, the edge goes inside the lip of the wheel.

1966-1967 hubcaps snap into the wheel lip directly, no spring clips and the edge is inside the lip of the wheel.

1968 and later hubcaps snap over the wheel lip, the edge is outside of the lip of the wheel.

All pics nicked shamelessly from the gallery.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I’ve read that the 65 domes caps will fit but you have to modify the lip to fit the notches in the rims. Is this not true?

Maybe- with heat, heavy pliers and no regard for the sanctity of a proper cap.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

“Will fit” like an oval window in a Super Beetle.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

Before I took the body off my car, I'm pretty sure I was running later hubcaps on my '67. The '67 hubcaps dent even if they are OG, you have to know where to hit them when you install them.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Before I took the body off my car, I'm pretty sure I was running later hubcaps on my '67. The '67 hubcaps dent even if they are OG, you have to know where to hit them when you install them.

You don't have to hit them. Just set it up so 2 of the tabs are holding and you can just squeeze it on by putting your hands into the wheel slots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

You don't have to hit them. Just set it up so 2 of the tabs are holding and you can just squeeze it on by putting your hands into the wheel slots.

Really? Well then Chris Vallone needs an update. He advised hitting them along the edges from what I remember...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
EA812 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Really? Well then Chris Vallone needs an update. He advised hitting them along the edges from what I remember...

Can't some guy on YouTube be wrong?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
EA812 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Can't some guy on YouTube be wrong?

Yes...unless it's me Laughing ... but seriously I've seen people regard him as the best restorer so I assume if he wants people to keep thinking that, he should at least make his videos accurate. That's just my opinion though, personally, I think his work is iffy to say the least. I think people here know more than him.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

You either have super strong hands or your wheel tabs are super worn out. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

“Will fit” like an oval window in a Super Beetle.

Like I said I thought I read that it took a minor tweak for them to fit. I’ve never tried it as I have early wheels.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle Wheels Hubcap Help?! Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
EA812 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

You either have super strong hands or your wheel tabs are super worn out. Smile

Probably, it definitely isn't a new wheel 😂 Maybe extreme cold helped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: