Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

Yeah that's pretty crusty even for my location. You might want to hang on to it though until after you get the new body, just in case there's some parts, dimensions, or reference you might need on the new one. Good luck!
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

After a few hours of finagling yesterday we were able to get the Ghia loaded. There are a few suspect spots namely where the nose looks to have been replaced with a clip, but overall the body and chassis are in FAR better shape than the '70. I thought the VIN had been removed from the chassis but its there under some rust, and the numbers even match.

The worst spots are the nose as mentioned before, the drivers side rocker behind the front wheel and the fresh air ducts are completely gone. There are some holes on the drivers side roof column, and around the windshield rubber. I may actually be able to use some pieces from the '70 to replace the bad spots. There is no luggage tray in the back, so I may end up using the one from the '70.

Turns out theSamba member I bought this from bought it from the son or daughter of the original owner. It was their high school car that took them to prom and everywhere in between. There are a few cool "period" mods such as the SunPro tach and EMPI shifter. There's also 2 pretty cool wheels which I believe are late super beetle or Porsche, I'm not 100% sure. I would like to track down 2 more for a complete set. I was told that the seats are one year only, and I'm hoping someone here can provide some more info. Enough talk, here are some pics.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase of a 1968 Ghia. Seats are as you said one year only (1968) ...for a reason. Ask Kiwi. Wink
I can make out 148XXXXXX on the rear wishbone. Finger tab for gas flap is 68. 68 front heater vent location. Swing axle is 68. Unique gas tank mod is all previous owner. Very Happy Its still crusty but much better than your other body.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

The VIN is 148 305721 which appears from the chart here on the Samba to be a manufacture date of Aug 1967, the start of the '68 model year. So you are correct Darrel. I mistakenly though it was a '69.
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Wink

I don't think that its a 68 gas tank, but do you care? Smile
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Not much, lol. Next step is to apply for a bonded title for the '68, seeing as how this car isn't IRS and therefore my options are now limited for swapping the body onto the '70 pan. I am assuming since its not an IRS the body wouldn't be a direct swap?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

Do a search. I came up with this quickly....

A 8 bolt ring gear swing axle transaxle can be converted into a IRS transaxle. You will need the IRS side covers, the CV flanges, and the IRS diff. Take the ring gear and put onto the IRS 8 bolt diff and install with the side covers and CV flanges.

A 6 bolt ring gear transaxle can be converted to a IRS the same way, you just have to buy a IRS super diff that has both the 6 bolt pattern and the 8 bolt pattern drilled on the ring gear flange, (or drill the needed 6 bolt holes in the stock diff).

That's switching the trans.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Congrats on the purchase of a 1968 Ghia. Seats are as you said one year only (1968) ...for a reason. Ask Kiwi. :wink:
I can make out 148XXXXXX on the rear wishbone. Finger tab for gas flap is 68. 68 front heater vent location. Swing axle is 68. Unique gas tank mod is all previous owner. :D Its still crusty but much better than your other body.

I've been wondering about the "reason". Better than pre-68, worse than after 68? I installed Porsche seats - narrower, lower and more comfortable too. The Ghia '68s are sitting (the pun is entirely accidental, I swear!) in my shed.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

Not much, lol. Next step is to apply for a bonded title for the '68, seeing as how this car isn't IRS and therefore my options are now limited for swapping the body onto the '70 pan. I am assuming since its not an IRS the body wouldn't be a direct swap?

I believe the bodies are the same between the SA and irs pans, shouldn't be a problem swapping the body
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

I believe the bodies are the same between the SA and irs pans, shouldn't be a problem swapping the body

That is great news. After some research I found that you are correct, the only mounts that may need modification are the two in the rear wheel wells. I will take measurements when I get the body off the '70.

If so I will likely be putting the '68 body on the '70 pan to go with the title.
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

Since all of the drums on both cars have been REALLY stuck on there from shoe to drum corrosion, I decided to fabricate a quick tool to pull the drum off the spline. I put a piece of 1/4" steel scrap between the bolt and the spline as not to mar the spline. It works great with one person driving the bolt in with the impact and another tapping around the drum with a heavy hammer.

The angle should be heavier gauge steel to resist flex but this was what I had.

I had a buddy down for the weekend and we made some good progress. We pulled the motor out of the '70 without too much issue. I'll need to fab up some kind of engine stand (or buy the HF one) before I get started there.

With the lump out of the '70 it went outside and the '68 came in. Our math equation here will be 1+1=1 Very Happy

I took inspiration from Samba member BellaGhia and made a body dolly out of some 4x4 PT lumber, some scrap steel for support brackets and HF Pneumatic casters. I decided to make the uprights 2' tall rather than 1' in the original design since I need to do some work on the interior and rockers, so the higher the better. It was a bit of a pain to get up there, I used a floor jack and a bunch of blocks to jack it up (a bit sketchy, but got it up there no problem Cool )

As I stated in the above post, I may end up putting this body onto the '70 pan to get the IRS suspension and a less crusty transmission, but I have a bit more research to do there and still need to get the body off the '70 to see how everything looks under there.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

Great progress!
Get a vw engine stand or bench mount. You CAN get a vw engine on a HF stand but it much more work. Ask how i know. Embarassed
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

advCo, I was also undertaking a precarious body removal over 30 years ago. My friend helping me take the surprisingly solid chassis off a badly rusted '70 parts Ghia, to use on my '64 Ghia body. Jackstands on top of cinder blocks, supporting a plank! Shocked Embarassed

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

I very recently bought a couple sets of those "FV Racing stripes" decals that are on Rome's top pic. Laughing
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
advCo, I was also undertaking a precarious body removal over 30 years ago. My friend helping me take the surprisingly solid chassis off a badly rusted '70 parts Ghia, to use on my '64 Ghia body. Jackstands on top of cinder blocks, supporting a plank! :shock: :oops:

What the heck! A Ghia only weighs 900 kg or so. Enough so scrape your shins, but no more.

Just be careful, or you'll be on the next episode of Seconds from Disaster.
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

I used to use cinder blocks under cars.....till I saw one crumble....
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

First - some progress. With a little bit of work (and a big prybar), I was able to get the seat locking brackets free on the '68 pan. Put a healthy amount of kroil on the seat rails, and used a wooden block and heavy hammer to free the seats up and eventually tap them off. Then out came the pan.

I started harvesting necessary parts from the donor body. I managed to find all the spot welds and perform a fairly clean removal of the back seat support and heat exchanges. The perforated section on the main heater channel feed was rusted out on one side, so I'll have to fabricate something there.

Next, some good news and bad news...
Bad news first . I knew there was some rot on the windscreen and rear window channels. After popping the windows out of the donor body, I worked up the nerve to see what the damage was on the '68. What I found was not good. I'm not sure if this is from leaky/dried out seals or what, but just about the entire channel has rusted away. The rear window is just as bad.

Now for the good news. The channels on the '70 are in great shape. There's some pitting on some of the sheet metal, but overall both front and back are solid. This is by far the biggest and most daunting task as far as the body repairs go.

I want to get the '70 body cut up and off the frame, so I planned out where I want to cut and replace on the '68 body. For the front, I may use about 1" of dash, and keep that bottom seam spot welded together. For the rear, I want to keep the luggage tray spot welded to the channel and install it as one piece.

I think it will be pretty manageable to replace the two channels in this fashion. To those more knowledgeable than me, does this method make any sense at all? Or, am I better off replacing the whole roof, windscreens included? I had thought of this option, but it seems like a whole lot of work. I guess I'm not sure of the best method to tackle this.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

Did both of these bodies spend their life in Texas? I'm surprised, always thought Texas cars were pretty rust free
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Did both of these bodies spend their life in Texas? I'm surprised, always thought Texas cars were pretty rust free

I can't believe that rear shelf Shocked
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: advCo's '70 Ghia Project Log - Brace yourself Reply with quote

The '70 (yellow) came from Kentucky. The '68 is from Texas as far as I know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: