Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project Reply with quote

Thanks. Unfortunately there are a couple holes in the front corners of the floor and also under the seat mounts. I also did the same work on the front floor where there is a little Swiss cheese on the driver side and some crusty spots on the passenger side.

The idea/goal is to stop the rust where it is right now and prevent further progression (or at least significantly slow it!) until I get to a point in my life where I can weld in metal properly and really fix the Bus up.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project Reply with quote

That's exactly where I am with my WW. I've got it running great, but now I need to turn my attention to rust abatement.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've learned the welding (took a great local college class last fall) and have a welder. After stopping the rust, all I need is the time and parts to do the welding. Rolling Eyes But with three other Type 2 projects running concurrently, I don't see any time on the horizon. Anybody who is handy with a welder want a good project?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
That's exactly where I am with my WW. I've got it running great, but now I need to turn my attention to rust abatement.

I've learned the welding (took a great local college class last fall) and have a welder. After stopping the rust, all I need is the time and parts to do the welding. Rolling Eyes But with three other Type 2 projects running concurrently, I don't see any time on the horizon. Anybody who is handy with a welder want a good project?

Yikes man, that's a lot of work! Isn't it crazy watching videos of top VW restoration shops rebuilding a bus from a heap of rust? I look at buses like yours or even mine (still rusty but much less than your WW) and just see hours of hard nasty hot work.. it's hard to look at stock photos of rust repair panels and imagine them replacing all the rusty places on your own vehicle.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

Just shoot some acid in there, and top it with Fluid Film or some other kind of wax undercoating stuff, and roll it for a while! That's my plan! Luckily I have very little rust like your bus, but I do have some on the floors... but those holes are covered up by the floor mats, so it's all good! ha

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project Reply with quote

Got the Bus waxed underneath, and put back together tonight. I also did the '78 Westy with the wax, but that one kind of made be sad, because it made me realize just how much rust there really is on that thing! There may come a time I have to make a difficult decision.

Anyway, the '73 is still pretty solid beyond a couple places and that makes me happy! Hopefully this work I did will help keep it solid for even longer.

Since I had the one panel off, I decided to put some Reckhorn sound deadener on the panel. I made a quick video to demonstrate the sound difference. I "edited" it by pushing pause, then applying the deadener, and then unpausing it!

It is quite a bit less tinny-sounding.

Link

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project Reply with quote

Yesterday I installed a new drag link. The joints at both ends were getting pretty darn loose, resulting in a lot of slop in the steering and sometimes clunking which made me pretty nervous it was going to give out!

Luckily for me, when adjusted to size and fit in the holes on both ends, it seems to have slipped right in with no issues of the steering wheel sitting off center.

Big improvement!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project Reply with quote

excited to see the BA6 working correctly in this soon Cool

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Ha ha, yes, me too! (And thanks again for tracking down those parts!)

Other than just the temp sender not working, the heater does work pretty great! At the moment, the exhaust is still just a sort of pigtail hanging down from where it exits the frame rail. I really also need to construct a pipe to carry the exhaust over and out in front of the left rear tire. I'm afraid of fumes being pulled in by the vacuum that is created as the rear of the bus goes through the air.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project Reply with quote

Bay had a cross pipe to exit by the drivers side, but vanagon had a dump pipe right under the middle of the bus. In one of the ba6 threads I posted pics side by side of two I had.

Oh also there’s a switch in that stash too. It was a good supply of spares, you will find it very helpful

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Other than just the temp sender not working, the heater does work pretty great! At the moment, the exhaust is still just a sort of pigtail hanging down from where it exits the frame rail. I really also need to construct a pipe to carry the exhaust over and out in front of the left rear tire. I'm afraid of fumes being pulled in by the vacuum that is created as the rear of the bus goes through the air.

Dave, put a CO monitor on it before you solve a problem Thst may not exist.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave's 1973 Wild Westerner Project Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Dave, put a CO monitor on it before you solve a problem Thst may not exist.

Yeah, I did end up riding around for a while with one sitting on the dash as well as the seat, and floor. Different placements. It never did register any CO. Though I certainly feel like I can tell some kind of difference when it is running vs not. Not sure I can quite explain it, but if, when I notice it and crack open the fresh air vent, it kinda goes away.

Who knows what is going on! Could also maybe be gunk on the heat exchangers or something, though I don't think there are any big leaks that would cause it. I might try the one I have hanging in the house, just to see if the other one I used may not be functioning. (Or, more likely, verify that it is.)

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: