Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Year Of manufacture license plates.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

Shocked Hello all.Today I when to my local DMV .I when to assign a set of black /yellow old plates.I have a 1967 VW Bug. I was told that I could not use them on my 67.They said because the plate had "63" stamped on them.And my car is a 67. So is this true? I did not ask her to give me the vehicle code(if their is one?). So has anyone had this happen to them? Any information would help.As I am going to call the DMV, in Sacramento.And ask about this situation.Thanks out ,AND KEEP ON BUGGING! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

are plates registered to that car already? if so talk to manager. and if not you can use but pay yearly fee for personal plates. which is more than other state charge for whole registration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

You just need a blue 1967 sticker to put in the corner. From that point on, you are 100% legal.... as long as the plates you have are clear.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

ALL original black plates had 63 stamped in the corner. That was the first year of release. For 1964 through 1969 a sticker was placed in the recession over the 63 stamping to validate the plate for the year.

Dean1 is right -- a '63 plate without a '67 sticker is not valid for a 1967 car.
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

Hello,and thx for the advise.The plates are not OG to the car.I did take them to the DMV.She said they were clear.I have both of them.So one plate has a mnoth sticker on the left side,and none on the right side.I have heard the 67 stivker must be on the left side?But if I want to use a tab,how can I put the sticker on? Thx all. Cool
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

This is what you need to cover the embossed 63 on the plate.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/1967-California-YOM-DMV-Car...0694.m4598
Then when you get your new tags (year & month ) you can put them on a tab or get a plate frame like this) back in the day DMV used to give 2 metal tabs for YOM plates not sure if they still do.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

Very Happy Ok got it.Will look for a 67 sticker.However,been told to stay away from repop's.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

Here's what you're looking for. This one's a repro though...
https://www.ebay.com/i/361626416826?chn=ps

This guy claims that CA DMV accepts his repro stickers Rolling Eyes
http://www.oldplateguy.com/1967-ca-yom-dmv-sticker-license-plate-registration.html

Here's some info on registering a '67 Beetle in CA with non-original black/yellow plates:
http://1967beetle.com/registering-black-plates/
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Here's what you're looking for. This one's a repro though...
https://www.ebay.com/i/361626416826?chn=ps

This guy claims that CA DMV accepts his repro stickers Rolling Eyes
http://www.oldplateguy.com/1967-ca-yom-dmv-sticker-license-plate-registration.html

Here's some info on registering a '67 Beetle in CA with non-original black/yellow plates:

Same guy as the E-Bay listing i posted.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:

. . . when you get your new tags (year & month ) . . .

You will need to be patient . . . took 7 weeks to get mine . . . they gave me a red temp w/sticker . . . had it taped inside the corner of my windshield.
You MUST have a 1967 sticker on the plate in the correct location . . . and get rid of the month sticker.

56Cabrio wrote:

. . . back in the day DMV used to give 2 metal tabs for YOM plates not sure if they still do.

The sent them to me with the new stickers . . . I got them just a few days ago! (Dec. 11)
I didn't use them . . . too large and ugly . . . made my own tab so that the stickers are tucked up under the light.

The guy at the DMV scratched his head and had to talk to his supervisor when I brought my plates in.
They are on my '62, so they have a 1962 sticker right next to the embossed "56" on the plate.
He did not remember how the plate/sticker are supposed to be configured. Rolling Eyes
Now, get this . . . he told me before I left . . . that at one time, he worked at different DMV office . . . where he helped his supervisor develop the YOM Program!
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't use them . . . too large and ugly . . . made my own tab so that the stickers are tucked up under the light.

I did the same. The supplied mounts for the tabs were much too big and distracting. I took a piece of 3mils aluminum and cut it to size and shape to fit the tags together with as little extra metal as possible.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

Very Happy Hey,I want to say to all who replied .THANX A MIL! I am so glad to have the support from fellow samba members! I am going to follow the steps.And I will not take no for a answer from the DMV .So for now I will locate a used 67 sticker,put it on the stamped 63.And take off the month one on the left side.And will let all know how it when in a few weeks.Happy Holidays to all!!! Cool
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

theduck wrote:
. . . I will locate a used 67 sticker,put it on the stamped 63.

Careful!!!!
It MUST be in the correct location!
The field office you visit might not have someone that knows what's up with Y.O.M., BUT . . .
the field office WILL photocopy your plates so that the Y.O.M. team in the main Sacramento DMV can review/approve your plate/sticker configuration!
Take a look at this . . . http://www.oldplateguy.com/YOM-Information-for-1963-to-1969-California-Vehicles.html
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

Shocked The sticker belongs on the left side or over the stamped 63 on the plate?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

I have the original issued black plates on my 61 with stack of stickers about 3/8 th inch thick. this after some 30 years ago or so I removed the prior stack. stickers for year on right side. month on left. the dmv never sends new month stickers, only year stickers. my month sticker is very fadded, asked dmv to send me a new kne, they said only if I come into their office with the car. forget it, lines a mile long, rude uncaring staff, no way, I avoid the dmv as much as possible, horrible money grabbing monsters, Wasted too much of my life at the dmv. If the dmv was disbanded today, the effect would be more freedom, more free time, win win.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
I have the original issued black plates on my 61 with stack of stickers about 3/8 th inch thick. this after some 30 years ago or so I removed the prior stack. stickers for year on right side. month on left. the dmv never sends new month stickers, only year stickers. my month sticker is very fadded, asked dmv to send me a new kne, they said only if I come into their office with the car. forget it, lines a mile long, rude uncaring staff, no way, I avoid the dmv as much as possible, horrible money grabbing monsters, Wasted too much of my life at the dmv. If the dmv was disbanded today, the effect would be more freedom, more free time, win win.

Wow, that must be brutal, dude. I'm not sure where you live, but I'm in a fairly congested area, and my trips to the DMV are relatively painless. Go in, get a number, then sit down and surf TheSamba for a half hour or so Very Happy
My longest wait is usually 45 minutes or less, and they've always come through with my ELP and YOM plate needs Wink
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

theduck wrote:
The sticker belongs on the left side or over the stamped 63 on the plate?

The blue '1967' sticker should be placed in the well on the right side of the plate. You'll be covering up the stamped '63' that all the black/yellow plates come with. The left side well is for the 'month' sticker.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

theduck wrote:
Shocked The sticker belongs on the left side or over the stamped 63 on the plate?

I told ya to be careful . . . warning you . . . I think that there's incorrect that's been given to you in this thread!
If you get the sticker wrong, the best outcome will be some lost time when you have to scrape your new sticker off of your plate and find another sticker.
The worst outcome . . . who knows . . . maybe the DMV will render those plates unusable!

Do your home work!
For instance . . . look at these plates and decide if they look original https://www.ebay.com/itm/CALIFORNIA-1963-1964-1965...Sw1QpaLaVg
Zoom in on the stickers to see where the BLUE 1967 sticker is located.
That should help you decide if the info, regarding the sticker location, found in the link that rcolled gave ya is credible. Wink
rcooled wrote:

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
I told ya to be careful . . . warning you . . . I think that there's incorrect that's been given to you in this thread!

Do your home work! For instance . . . look at these plates and decide if they look original. Zoom in on the stickers to see where the BLUE 1967 sticker is located.

The location of the blue 1967 sticker on the TTR 296 plate in that eBay link is INCORRECT. The fact that the plate has two different 'year' stickers is also INCORRECT. The 'year' sticker goes on the right...'month' sticker on the left.

The sticker placement shown on the XKS 279 plate from that same seller is correct.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: California Year Of manufacture license plates. Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:

Do your home work! For instance . . . look at these plates and decide if they look original. Zoom in on the stickers to see where the BLUE 1967 sticker is located.

The location of the blue 1967 sticker on the TTR 296 plate in that eBay link is INCORRECT. The fact that the plate has two different 'year' stickers is also INCORRECT. The 'year' sticker goes on the right...'month' sticker on the left.

The sticker placement shown on the XKS 279 plate from that same seller is correct.

The plates (DCF 519) that I linked have sold . . . https://www.ebay.com/itm/CALIFORNIA-1963-1964-1965...rmvSB=true . . . to see them you would need to also clink on where it says "See original listing" to see what I was referring to . . . the original location of the stickers.
You can get a glimmer of the blue 1967 sticker under the edge of the 1969 sticker. It substantiates the info in the link you posted . . .
rcooled wrote:

1967 YOM plates will not have a month sticker on the plate itself. The month sticker will go on a separate tab.
The plate itself must look exactly the way the plate would have appeared when it was installed on a brand new car back in the year 1967 . . . NO month sticker.
For the 1967 year sticker . . . ya got a 50-50 chance of getting it right . . . BUT, I would put it on the left side! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: