Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor Reply with quote

JasonBaker wrote:
It doesn't matter if it's mechanical or solid state, some of you guys will turn anything into a pissing contest. Wink

More like a sword fight.

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J-ZEAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor Reply with quote

Because there are few cases in Japan, I will participate.
I think 123 tune is recommended for street users, not for racing.
Changes in reliable ignition and exhaust sound are wonderful but can only be issued up to 8000 RPM.
I would like to see more 123 tune videos, but can anyone upgrade me?

In my case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5dGWAOOZAE&t=10s

My homepage
http://zeal-gaia.com/

It is difficult to understand because it is Japanese
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor Reply with quote

Anything with chips and circuitry that close to the heat of the engine especially aircooled is doomed to failure.The most OEMs will put on the engine is a Hall or VR sensor
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
Anything with chips and circuitry that close to the heat of the engine especially aircooled is doomed to failure.The most OEMs will put on the engine is a Hall or VR sensor

I tend to agree with this somewhat. There is a long history of issues with ignition modules and coil drivers in a wide range of vehicles.

They have been under the hood for decades...so just generically being under the hood in general is not the issue. But when the same part # of module starts failing in significant numbers on one particular model of car...and you start digging into it...its usually because it was moved from someplace relatively cool and low vibration like the firewall, fender or engine cover....to someplace hot like on top of the manifold or directly on the distributor or coil pack.

VW and Audi had this issue wit ha tried and true coil module system back in the late 90's/early 2000's....when they moved it to a housing that was too close to the turbo on the 1.8T and some other engines. Between the vibration and heat it commonly cooked the chip. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor Reply with quote

I would like to see some folks try the Daytona Sensors TCS-1

I don't really have the time to play with ignition systems right now, but if I did I'd like to try that one. It can retard the spark any number of degrees past the timing signal like an MSD timing computer, while the balck box or the 123 can't do that, they need 90 degrees or more degrees lead time to work right.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Paul.H wrote:

I tend to agree with this somewhat. There is a long history of issues with ignition modules and coil drivers in a wide range of vehicles.

They have been under the hood for decades...so just generically being under the hood in general is not the issue. But when the same part # of module starts failing in significant numbers on one particular model of car...and you start digging into it...its usually because it was moved from someplace relatively cool and low vibration like the firewall, fender or engine cover....to someplace hot like on top of the manifold or directly on the distributor or coil pack.

VW and Audi had this issue wit ha tried and true coil module system back in the late 90's/early 2000's....when they moved it to a housing that was too close to the turbo on the 1.8T and some other engines. Between the vibration and heat it commonly cooked the chip. Ray

On one model Volkswagen actually dumped the coil on plug set up due to unreliability and went back to the old style with drivers mounted in an aluminium heat sink on the top of the wasted spark coil. Those coil packs are reliable and if the drivers do fail for some reason the whole coil can be bought for $30 and changed in 10 mins.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor Reply with quote

modok wrote:

I don't really have the time to play with ignition systems right now, but if I did I'd like to try that one. It can retard the spark any number of degrees past the timing signal like an MSD timing computer, while the balck box or the 123 can't do that, they need 90 degrees or more degrees lead time to work right.

I've been drooling over those TCS modules ever since I first saw you mention them back in the big TFI thread. Too bad I've yet to see one under $180 Crying or Very sad

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Paul.H wrote:

On one model Volkswagen actually dumped the coil on plug set up due to unreliability and went back to the old style with drivers mounted in an aluminium heat sink on the top of the wasted spark coil. Those coil packs are reliable and if the drivers do fail for some reason the whole coil can be bought for $30 and changed in 10 mins.

Yes....that exact problem showed how some engineers actually are so far out of the loop they cannot see the problem.

The primary problem you are speaking of (and it took VAG a while to figure it out) was not the COP system.
Late 90's early 2000's ...and in some models even still....VW's in the 50-70k mile range..mysteriously start losing a coil.

Owner replaces coil...usually just out of warranty...for $95-$125....and motors down the road. 3-6 weeks later...another coil dies. They replace that one...a month later..another dies.

This is actually linked to the problem I posted about earlier. The defective part was actually a damaged coil driver chip and plug assembly. These were placed in hot locations with poor grounding in several models.

The loss of a single coil at 50-70k miles.....is not indicative of the coil driver chip....its indicative of running iridium plugs (fantastic plugs)...until their gap increases so much that the coils over saturate/overdrive and overheat. because the VW ignitions use ion-sensing....as the gap increases over long miles...the system senses this and over drives the coils to keep the system running nominally with no change in power or economy.

So they had that problem going on (and still do)....and they knew it...but the dealers are not going to go back to copper plugs on most models...because it keeps them from having to do ANY spark plug changes under any standard warranty Wink Wink Wink ...get it?

They would rather suffer the "occasional" cooked coil near the end of warranty...5 minutes and $25 their cost....than have to change your plugs every 15-20k miles at their cost.

But....backing up here....so if you cooked a coil at 50-70k miles...a single coil...VW would kind of just give you that..."hey it occasionally happens....and they really are not expensive"...spiel....
But when you start cooking multiple coils....and thousands of cars did this...they HAD to do something positive....so they did as you noted...knee jerk...political...rearward engineering...to say they fixed the problem.

The real problem was the location of the coil driver chip...its overheating...and that is what killed the multiple coils. Its fairly widely known now. When you cook a single coil....its one thing. When a second goes in short order...you replace the coil driver module and the problem ends.

But...the other problem...they still do. While it is true that iridium plugs CAN last 80K miles....its STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID...to try and run them that long on a self sensing system. The gaps can double in 50-60k miles....and you really cannot gap iridium plugs. They crack the electrode.

When the gap increases over a certain amount...you WILL overdrive and overheat the coil packs. Its fare simpler to replace them at a sane interval of about 35K miles maximum.

On both my 2006 Jetta and 2012 Golf...and numerous other modern VAG cars I have worked on...you can see the start of this symptom...as the overheating coils literally cook the plastic on the connector plug first. Ray
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor Reply with quote

OK so back to the distributor. I guess this thing has some sort of memory chip and a bluetooth gismo and other stuff inside so lets just heat it all up to 100 degC and put a huge EMI source(spark jumping rotor arm gap along with some condensation) within a couple of inches of said device. I hope it has a long warranty period and cheap and easy to replace bits. Maybe it has a remote mounted gizmo box which would be better ?
J-ZEAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: 123tune Bluetooth Distributor Install Reply with quote

It is a movie that I installed.

I am happy if it becomes helpful.

Link

Last edited by J-ZEAL on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
modok wrote:

I've been drooling over those TCS modules ever since I first saw you mention them back in the big TFI thread. Too bad I've yet to see one under $180 Crying or Very sad

From what I gathered on the website the MAP sensor can only be used to remove timing, like for boost retard and not add timing for cruise. Am I misunderstanding it's abilities?
J-ZEAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ahnendorp B.A.S. 1-2-3 Bluetooth Distributor Reply with quote

Mr. j-dub.

I can not speak English.

for that reason

I write sentences using Google's translation software.

I can not write detailed explanation in English.

I do not want you to misunderstand

I'm sorry but
YouTube is everything
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: