Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I've been the guest of the medical profession. I'm allowed to drive again from today.
That sounds ominous; I'm wishing you well.

Quote:
They are also molded at the corners so that they lay flat and don't have to be forced into position.
That's good to know; thanks for posting that info. Even with the push-on retainers on the anchor posts I've been disconcerted by the wrinkly corners of the weatherstrip of the engine compartment, and it appears that they have that covered as well: "seal for the rear hood, with curved edges , perfect fit ( NO yardware ! ) prime quality"
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
I've been the guest of the medical profession. I'm allowed to drive again from today.
That sounds ominous; I'm wishing you well.

Quote:
They are also molded at the corners so that they lay flat and don't have to be forced into position.
That's good to know; thanks for posting that info. Even with the push-on retainers on the anchor posts I've been disconcerted by the wrinkly corners of the weatherstrip of the engine compartment, and it appears that they have that covered as well: "seal for the rear hood, with curved edges , perfect fit ( NO yardware ! ) prime quality"

It sounds worse than it was, thanks. Like our cars, we need repairs every now and then.

Herr Huber's parts are very good and he often has items that you can't find elsewhere. It helps that I can read German, and he is now my first stop when I need something.

I have one irritating item left: the R side window scraper just won't sit closer to the glass. But I have new rubber for that too - from Herr Huber.

I have found the rubber - all new - the most difficult part of my car's restoration. There were jobs that were hard, but none as stubborn and frustrating as new rubber.
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Huber is indeed the best Ghia shop in Germany. Its not really cheap but he has the hard to find items in good quality or even NOS.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
... the R side window scraper just won't sit closer to the glass. ...
I vaguely recall seeing a photo somewhere of a VW body mechanic grasping the top of a door with both hands and squeezing to adjust the gap. Think
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I finally obtained a tach and installed it this afternoon. I had installed a second wiring loom with 6 wires of different colours and thicknesses (down the right side of the car) when I put the car together again after all the welding and painting had been completed and that loom came in handy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It came with detailed instructions.

All wired up.

And once installed, worked perfectly.

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I finally obtained a tach and installed it this afternoon.
Clean and neat. It's funny how things that appear incongruous catch one's eye. Looking at the fourth photo I was thinking wtf, then I remembered you're heading into summer; that explains the bare feet Laughing That's not likely around here just now what with snow and sub-0*C.
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Wow, that looks great, can I ask where you got it?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
I finally obtained a tach and installed it this afternoon.
Clean and neat. It's funny how things that appear incongruous catch one's eye. Looking at the fourth photo I was thinking wtf, then I remembered you're heading into summer; that explains the bare feet :lol: That's not likely around here just now what with snow and sub-0*C.

As you say, summer here, and a very hot one at that. Too hot outside to work on the deck I have to build, so I worked on the car instead. Same story today, so I'll have a chance to see if I can get the instrument lights working. How I cursed those German engineers yesterday while trying to connect all the wires in the crow's nest that is a Ghia's wiring! For every wire I connected, i knocked another loose or broke the spade connector.

All the best for the festive season and the New Year.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:
Wow, that looks great, can I ask where you got it?

Hi Paul, From an advertiser here on theSamba: [email protected]. Expensive, but it looks like good quality.

You've been toying with this for a few years, I think. I I think I saw some posts from you on a thread dealing with the different tachs members have installed.
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I do like the idea of a tach, I used to have one in my previous ghia, but that has to be the best looking one, IMO, I've seen, particularly for a '68, swapping out the clock is genius!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:
I do like the idea of a tach, I used to have one in my previous ghia, but that has to be the best looking one, IMO, I've seen, particularly for a '68, swapping out the clock is genius!

It's a really good one, so good that when I had completed the installation, I asked my wife, "See anything different?" After a while she said, "I don't hear the clock." Then she noticed the tach. She knows the clock all too well because every time we go somewhere she has to adjust it first. Not any more.

I think this style of tach suits post '67 Ghias and Tim - the guy who makes them - styles the needle and dial to suit individual years. At idling the tach shows about 850 rpm, and when I revved it up a bit, it "felt" accurate at 2500 rpm. I'll do a road test later today when I've completed my Santa duties.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I think your tach looks great Kiwi!! You will watch it more than the clock. Wink

It is supposed to be winter here but its still 80*+ everyday.
I talked with the guys at ISP and they recently came out with some really nice tachs for 67+ and for the early big hole ghias too. Check them out.
https://www.vwispwest.com/141018552GY.html?p=c3E9dGFjaA==
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I think your tach looks great Kiwi!! You will watch it more than the clock. :wink:

I talked with the guys at ISP and they recently came out with some really nice tachs for 67+ and for the early big hole ghias too. Check them out.

I did a test drive this morning and the tach appears to be accurate. I read 2000 rpm at 40 mph. That means I should see 3000 rpm at 60 mph.

Yes, Darrel, my speedo is marked in miles per hour - mental arithmetic: 40 mph = 64 KPH and 60 mph = 96 KPH.

Should I be seeing 2000 rpm at 40 MPH?

Too hot to work outside today, so i'm drinking beer and waiting for my grandchildren to arrive (and turn my house upside down).
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

KPH...MPH...dang, I'm getting a headache. More cowbell, more beer.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Been following a tach on eBay... $100... Made but ISP West I believe. Hope to pick one up, much better than a clock IMO.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Been following a tach on eBay... $100... Made but ISP West I believe. Hope to pick one up, much better than a clock IMO.

Oh man, I paid a lot more than that!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Ouch... Sorry. Let's keep this on the DL... It's the "Last One". 😉
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Love the tach, bought the one I've been lurking.

swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
I think your tach looks great Kiwi!! You will watch it more than the clock. Wink

I did a test drive this morning and the tach appears to be accurate. I read 2000 rpm at 40 mph. That means I should see 3000 rpm at 60 mph.

Yes, Darrel, my speedo is marked in miles per hour - mental arithmetic: 40 mph = 64 KPH and 60 mph = 96 KPH.

Should I be seeing 2000 rpm at 40 MPH?

Too hot to work outside today, so i'm drinking beer and waiting for my grandchildren to arrive (and turn my house upside down).

I'm not going to touch the math . But i was just going to add , in case you didn't know , That 4500 rpm is the max you want to push on a stockish motor . Most likely a 3rd gear wind-out trying to pass a truck uphill.......
But now you'll know how far to push it. Its a painful sound at that point anyway.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Love the tach, bought the one I've been lurking.

That does look nice but it also looks to be for a Type lll. Their dash sits on a different angle so the gauges bezels are beveled back. Here is another look.

So might look out of place in the dash proper, But real fine in an accessories location

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Page 80 of 90

Jump to: