Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

Wow that really is puking oil. Check for cracks or the cylinders not seating into the case or damage between the cylinders and case.

No sealer between the cylinders and heads.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

Well it must be? It's the story we have. The crank is going to shove a lot of oil up against the cylinder openings. Maybe the case cylinder opening decks need checked. Maybe a cylinder did not seat. My spare engine below "1800cc's Webcam 118 and 1.25:1 Rockers" was fine till I revved it up and Oil started flying out the side of cylinders on both sides of the engine. The problem turned out to be cracked cylinders though.
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

Permatex The Right Stuff, no leaks, will hold cylinders with the heads off no problem, and doesn't peel off all stringy. Also no waiting for it to dry, it's good to go as soon as you torque it down. I have not used silicone on a single thing since i discovered it, and i have tried it everywhere i used to use silicone with 100% success.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

Dürtwagen wrote:
I was told never to use sealer where the head mates to the jugs, is this accurate?

Correct. DO NOT USE SEALER BETWEEN THE HEAD AND THE TOP OF THE CYLINDERS.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a top view of cylinders 3 & 4 , notice the gap difference between the case and jug, but also notice that where it meets at the head, the fins are level with each other. Is this normal?

And here is 1 & 2

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

Yeah it's right but you know what I bet you got a pulled stud.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

Please change the tittle of this thread from "rebuilt engine" to "I hacked some junk together, what should I do?"

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

That one that looks like the case saver came out does have threads and screws in but I just realized that could be whwre a lot of oil is coming from
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Please change the tittle of this thread from "rebuilt engine" to "I hacked some junk together, what should I do?"

Pretty ignorant statement.
Why Don’t you go stick your shit opinion somewhere else hmm? Wink
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

Dürtwagen wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Don't bother listening to that mcmscott guy . . . he's probably just some novice that'll crank on a new engine for days without checking to see if it has gas!!!!
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Dürtwagen wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Don't bother listening to that mcmscott guy . . . he's probably just some novice that'll crank on a new engine for days without checking to see if it has gas!!!!

Well, shit happens. when the gauge tells you there is gas in the car, and there is fuel getting to the carburetor, naturally i assumed the car had gas, which it did Cool just not enough apparently. I don’t know how you guys can talk shit, the engine runs great and looks damn good.
Is this all you do is bag on people trying to solve a problem?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

So what is the scoop? Pulled insert? Just not tight? Is the engine still out? If so and it doesn't need inserts ?? then RTV right. If it needs inserts, then, case comes apart right? 10mm studs need inserts.

Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

The engine is in the car still in the car, I didn’t have time yesterday but I’m free all day today, I’m gunna pull the exhaust off and get as much done as I can today, just sealing everything up . I’m gunna look for the ultra black.
Also I’ve been soaking the oil cooler bracket to clean it
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

THis cylinder looks like it’s not seated at the bottom, like it’s cocked upwards, is that no good???
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

The top head bolts would have to have been tightened down first with the bottom loose to do that. What happens if you remove the rockers loosen all the head bolts and go through both torque sequences again? Do the studs hold? etc...

Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

Alright so it’s not supposed to be like that I’m guessing. I tightened them in the same sequence as one of the books said, with a torque wrench. Im loosening the bolts now engine should be out in a few min . I got permatex Ultra Black today .
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

Yeah that's the problem. That thing isn't seated at all. I'm surprised the head sealed. Or did it? Check for piston/ring/cylinder damage too.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

With the top studs coming out of what looks like inserts it could be leaking there. On cases about 1/2 of the stud thread holes are blind and can't loose any oil but some are open to the inside of the engine. I would want to make sure both inserts & studs were sealed with thread sealer locker Blue thread locker sealer on the studs usually red is used on the inserts by a machine shop. Probably a machine shop job though to remove inserts and re seal them with thread locker. I have done it though on ones that weren't thread locked to start with. Had to make a spare stud with locking nuts and a collar.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

When you replace cylinders on these engines one thing you have to do is set the new cylinders in place with the studs and 6 main nuts in place and see that it sits flat on the case, and see that there is some clearance so you can rotate the cylinder slightly without it hitting anything.
Very common that the cylinders will hang up on the studs, or the case savers, or eachother, or hit the 6 main nuts/washers and you have to grind the cylinder for clearance in these areas. It's not supposed to fit the case tight either. If the case smooshed in and not it's a TIGHT fit int he hole that's NG.
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Puking oil from cylinders after rebuild Reply with quote

Alright I got the engine on the stand, I had to take the flywheel and clutch off, I’ll do some investigating now

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: