Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PDSIT Rebuild
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

got a set of pdsit, but it appears to be 6v. Is it possible to get idle cut off and choke heater element for 12v, or do I just run a 12/6v resister/voltage drop dealies?

i think this may work for idle cut off
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-BUG-BUS-GHIA-AIR-BYPASS...mp;vxp=mtr

and for choke element, can I get one from the bus version?

one of the carbs is missing volume control screw. Can I fit adjustment screw from any other solex?

Thanks,
Anton
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

Hello-

yes you can just swap electric fuel cut offs and chokes, no need to get fancy with voltage drop.

That cut-off solenoid looks like it would fit the PDSIT 32's but what size is the idle jet in it? You need ones that are 50 or 55 , they are pretty easy to find

12v choke elements can be hard to find and I do think the pdsit 32-34 ones fit (if that what u mean by bus ones)

try to use the proper air/fuel adjustment screws. they are not rare and incorrect ones could cause damage to the carb bases.
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

Idle cutoff solenoid:
http://www.busdepot.com/311129413j

PM me if you need 12v chokes - I've got them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

so the set of carbs that i have is from 6v, which means idle cutoff soleniod as ataraxia posted and chokes would have to be replaced.

Jets are not missing. so I don't need any just yet.

Now I am looking a little closer and it appears that I might be missing another bit besides adjustment screw. I think it's accelerator or some brass squirter tube that points down the venturi. For one carb two of them and another just one.

I might be better of picking up another set and to cobble up one working pair.

I'll take some pictures to show what I am talking about.

Thanks!
Anton
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

ok here are some the pictures of that little tube:

this one has a stamped 2 on the top part of the body:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and here is one with 3.

looking closer it appears as #3 does not even have the hole drilled.

Is this supposed to be this way or do I have two miss matched carbs on my hands?

Thanks!
Anton
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

My bet is that you have mismatched carbs.

Easy way to check: Look at the spine of the fuel bowl - on the outside there's a number stamped in the body.

This chart will tell you how to 'pair' the carburetors:

This thread will explain the differences between the carburetors in more detail:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540152&start=0
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

Yep you have two different tops there- one has the power jet the other doesn't

and the cap is missing that covers the choke plunger thingy (sorry to be so technical) on the cab top in the 2nd pic
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

ugh, thanks for the links and scans. Looks like this is going back on the back burner, or better yet back into classifieds. Hopefully a few folks have a use for one of each Smile

now I know what to look for.

Thanks!
Anton
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540804&highlight=pdsit

some aspirin recommended before reading Very Happy
vwfanatic67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

send me a pm of what you need I have a ton of those carbs.

SBS #74
52 Split Beetle
60 Panel
65 Notchback
More if my wife would let me!
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

Ok Gents,

going reopen this can of worms Smile apparently aircooled.net sells new pdsit kits for t1 and t4. Neither will probably fit on t3 as is due to linkage and manifolds.

I wondering if I can just take the T4 kit and use it with stock manifolds, air cleaner and linkage. (maybe I can use t4 linkage hence the reason looking at t4 rather than t1 kit). Does anybody know if they will work on t3? I want to be as close to stock as possible so I can use my aircleaner and electric chokes.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Dual-34mm-PDSIT-Solex-Carb-Kit-Type-4-p/3286.htm

they come with pod filters, so I cannot tell if they have a rod in the top like the stock aircleaners do. Maybe I should ask this in the bus forum?

Anton
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

My Autopress manual has Walker # 15552A as being the proper rebuild kit for Type 3 Solex carburetors, penciled inside the front cover.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=walker+%2315...mp=yhs-002
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

What year is your car?

I have a super nice set of stock carbs with all of the linkage and parts.
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

I believe those ACN kits are from Brazil. You should be able to adapt your T3 linkage to make them work as long as long as you use stock DP T3 manifolds. Stock T3 air cleaner will not fit, however.

I'm running a set and am quite happy with them.

They should also work with stock SP manifolds.
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

this is a 70 dual port. I do have all the bits but the actual carbs are mismatched and 6v. I was thinking of taking brand new ones from a kit and using them.

Why won't stock air cleaner will not work? do these have bigger tops and/or missing the stud for air cleaner wing nut?

If that is the case I might as well dust off a set of ICTs, but I don't like the fact that I would be losing chokes and pulling air from engine compartment.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

akokarski wrote:
this is a 70 dual port. I do have all the bits but the actual carbs are mismatched and 6v. I was thinking of taking brand new ones from a kit and using them.

Why won't stock air cleaner will not work? do these have bigger tops and/or missing the stud for air cleaner wing nut?

If that is the case I might as well dust off a set of ICTs, but I don't like the fact that I would be losing chokes and pulling air from engine compartment.

The ACN carbs are 34 PDSIT, the stock T3 carbs are 32 PDSIT.

There is another version - the 32-34 PDSIT used on the T2 bus. They are often confused with the 32 PDSIT. Perhaps the 32-34 PDSIT is what the ACN carbs are based on...

The carbs I have are jetted for a 1500 S - if you change the jets, you'd be good to go. I also have NOS 12v chokes and idle cut offs.

Send me a PM or email if you're interested - I can send pics.
sqbk1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

Since this subject came up and I just did this thought I would ask a questions as it might help in your build.

I just bought and rebuilt a set of 32 PDSIT and I in my kit it came with 2 throttle gaskets.

I decided to use this one. The holes aligned better and it had a full "smiley" cut in it for the the port pictured. The only thing is that if you notice right above the "smiley" cut there is an extra hole that causes the gasket to have a little tab outside the body.

This is the gasket that matches what a past PO had used, but no matter how I move it the holes just don't align and no "smiley cut" but no tab either.

Which is more right?
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

Why won't stock air cleaner work on the Brazilian Solexes? The stockers have a stud sticking out of the air horn which holds the AC on. The Brazilians don't; the air cleaner clamps on like on a typical Type 1.

I modified the stock air cleaner to work by welding on sleeves to fit over the air horns and securing the whole thing with hose clamps.

I did this some years ago, but today I would hesitate to cut up a good T3 AC.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

Anything will work with modification...
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT Rebuild Reply with quote

sqbk1971 wrote:
Since this subject came up and I just did this thought I would ask a questions as it might help in your build.

I just bought and rebuilt a set of 32 PDSIT and I in my kit it came with 2 throttle gaskets.

I decided to use this one. The holes aligned better and it had a full "smiley" cut in it for the the port pictured. The only thing is that if you notice right above the "smiley" cut there is an extra hole that causes the gasket to have a little tab outside the body.

This is the gasket that matches what a past PO had used, but no matter how I move it the holes just don't align and no "smiley cut" but no tab either.

Which is more right?

I'd go with the first (top pic) one.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: