Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine deck lid hinge
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
remdiw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the size of the screws on the engine deck lid hinges? The screws on one of my hinges are completely stripped out. I’m hoping I can just clean up the threads in the holes and use new screws. Or, I’ll drill out the holes and put in an insert or heli coil. Or, maybe someone will have a better idea?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Countersunk Phillips M6 x 1.00 - 12 mm
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Heli-Coil is not going to work.

Weld one hole closed, drill back open, and tap. Use the other hole with the hinge holes to align each drilled and tapped hole.
remdiw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I used a tap to clean up the threads but they’re shot. Welding is beyond my capability. Is there a reason why a Heli Coil won’t work?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Because heli-coils do not have a way to be locked into place. So really easy to push/thread thru by just trying to thread in the screws.

Bet you have a muffler shop or fabrication shop in your area that could do the welding for you for very little.
remdiw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Gotcha. Thanks!
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

I used rivnuts or rivetnuts to repair the treasure chest door on my single cab. Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/i/380948307488?chn=ps
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
remdiw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

I went ahead and used a Helicoil. It was an easy job and the threads held! Thanks for all the advice!
Jordan16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Can you buy the hinges on there own, and where can I get hem. Or would I just have to cut them off a donor deck lid.

Thanks
Jordan
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Edited, was thinking Beetle! Embarassed

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Jordan16 wrote:
Can you buy the hinges on there own, and where can I get hem. Or would I just have to cut them off a donor deck lid.

Thanks
Jordan

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=261829551
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Jordan16 wrote:
Can you buy the hinges on there own, and where can I get them.
Jordan
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=261829551
Or can get nice rebuilt originals from member Campingbox: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=648875
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

I usually drill out the old pin and replace it. It can be done with a hand drill but much easier with a drillpress.
Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DsplitWindowguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Hey all,, I have a 63 split, I have the deck lid, brackets, and small mounts for the screws too... BUT, how do i attach the mounts at the correct angle for the brackets to work?? ANY and ALL advice appreciated, I am such a rookie at this!!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

DsplitWindowguy wrote:
Hey all,, I have a 63 split, I have the deck lid, brackets, and small mounts for the screws too... BUT, how do i attach the mounts at the correct angle for the brackets to work?? ANY and ALL advice appreciated, I am such a rookie at this!!

Would try the "Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*" up at the top of the forum in the stickies. There is a multi page thread on the engine lid arm mounts there.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
I usually drill out the old pin and replace it. It can be done with a hand drill but much easier with a drillpress.
Good Luck!
You can heat them up and dunk in cold water, then drive out what's remaining of the pins.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
DsplitWindowguy wrote:

Would try the "Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*" up at the top of the forum in the stickies. There is a multi page thread on the engine lid arm mounts there.
I think he's talking about the deck lid hinge mount area, not the prop mount.

I believe the recessed hinge mounting area of the deck lid follows the same angle as the sheet metal reinforcement panel on the back side. I always eyeballed this and they all came out fine.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
DsplitWindowguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid hinge Reply with quote

thanks for all the help.. you guys rule! My engine deck lid is now ON and working fine!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: