Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

I started a new post, original post was about questions on installing new starter. We then lost the hex socket while removing the upper bolt on the starter by the fly wheel. Then when trying to turn on the van when we finished we heard the socket bouncing around inside the fly wheel. Do I have to drop the tranny now? Changing the alternator and starter was hard enough.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

Is this a 2.1 WBX?

With starter removed, and if you're really lucky, you might be able to fish out the socket with a flexible magnet.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

An endoscope / borescope is an inexpensive tool that is invaluable for situations like this. It will let you see just where the thing in located, some even have a magnet attachment though the flexible magnet described by Neil may be better.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll remove the starter tomorrow and try to locate it with a magnet. I tried looking for it all around the flywheel with a camera and light but it must be in the middles somewhere.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

stick a large, round neodymium magnet on the outer edge of the flywheel as accessed thru the starter opening. then turn the engine over by hand while having someone watch in the starter hole for the magnet/socket to come by.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

I think it is jammed in there. The flywheel no longer moves at all.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

If no joy with the magnet/scope, you probably only need to support & unbolt the tranny nose mount, then loosen the
nuts at the bellhousing. The socket should drop out as soon as the gap at the bellhousing is larger than the socket...

No need to fully drop the tranny...(crosses fingers)...

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

Thanks I'll try that. That give me some hope. I do have to drop the transmission and differental pan at some point. They're both leaking.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

What size socket and did it go through the vent hole opening on the engine side?
The engine does not rotate in either direction?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
What size socket and did it go through the vent hole opening on the engine side?
The engine does not rotate in either direction?

It was a the Allen wrench type socket to loosen the hex bolt on the starter.
This one https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-8-mm-Hex-Bit-Socket-H3DHBS8MM/202913544
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

Maybe use a hole saw to drill a hole in the bottom of the bellhousing?

I understand the way to recover the brake band pin from a tranny on a Model T was to get all the young bucks in the neighbor hood together, pick up the car, turn it over, and shake the pin out. There is always a way. Wink
flameisley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Maybe use a hole saw to drill a hole in the bottom of the bellhousing?

I understand the way to recover the brake band pin from a tranny on a Model T was to get all the young bucks in the neighbor hood together, pick up the car, turn it over, and shake the pin out. There is always a way. Wink

lol
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

I think it's 5 bolts plus the shift linkage to slide the tranny forward an inch. It's not that hard. Someone here with a better memory may say you don't need to mess with the shift linkage if your just moving the tranny forward for a peek inside the bell housing. The deal is if you pull the tranny too far it will be loose which means you could stress or break a grounding strap, starter cables and clutch slave cylinder line if you let it drop. Just support the engine and transmission so they can't drop. The engine will want to tip down towards the front of the van. It's probably 45 minutes or less to loosen up the tranny and slide it forward. This will probably give you enough space to see where the wayward hex bit is resting.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

OnTheVanagain wrote:
Thanks I'll try that. That give me some hope. I do have to drop the transmission and differental pan at some point. They're both leaking.

Is this an automatic? If so the automatic bellhousing has some large access holes around it. The above advice was for a standard trans. If you can't unbolt the flexplate which requires turning the engine by hand, you will have a huge can of worms. That may be difficult for a DIY person to recover from.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

As others have said, you may be able to separate the transaxle and engine just enough to allow the wayward socket to drop out.

When wrangling engines and/or transaxles around, I've found a motorcycle/ATV jack to be quite helpful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You won't need the cute little wooden sled for your purpose, unless you intend to completely remove the engine and/or transaxle and then set it down somewhere else. The wide rubber-padded platform on the jack provides a stable base, the lift mechanism allows fine vertical adjustments, and the wheels allow rolling.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jeffrey Lee on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

Some borescope cameras come with a magnet attachment, if your'e looking to purchase one this would be the way to go.

As far as turning the engine over, if you remove the spark plugs it will be easier to turn since there's no compression to fight. At this point you could ever so slightly wiggle the engine back and forth until it was dislodged. After the socket was free then move on to retrieving it. There's not much point in separating the engine/trans without first being able to turn the engine over, imho.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

Update. I remove the starter that installed yesterday Mad I can't find the wayward socket with the berescope I'm thinking I have to seperate the transmission. I don't feel ready for a job like this but oh well.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

OnTheVanagain wrote:
Update. I remove the starter that installed yesterday Mad I can't find the wayward socket with the berescope I'm thinking I have to seperate the transmission. I don't feel ready for a job like this but oh well.

Just so we are sure, are do you have an automatic manual tranny?
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
OnTheVanagain wrote:

I have an automatic transmission
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need help! Dropped a socket in my fly wheel. Reply with quote

OnTheVanagain wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
OnTheVanagain wrote:

I have an automatic transmission

With the automatic you can not pull the tranny back more than 3/8" from the engine or your risk desplining the pump shaft from the torque converter and if it is not resplined correctly before remating the tranny and engine the tranny oil pump will be destroyed. When and if you try to pull the tranny away from the engine leave the nuts installed on the studs and backed off no more than 3/8" so to keep the splines mated.

If the lost tool is between the engine case and the flex plate and you can't get at it somehow with a magnet or piece of wire, you will need to remove the tranny with the torque converter being left in place, this will mean that the pump shaft may well try to stay with the TC and pull out of the tranny. This is a bad situation as the pump shaft is long and flimsy and can be easily bend. You will need to be able to support both the engine and tranny in such a way they can't flop around much and once you get enough room between the two get up in the space with your hands with vice grips and bars and free the pump shaft.

If you can't get the engine to turn it is a RPITA to get to the three bolts that fasten the TC to the flex plate, but it can be done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: