Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hanging fuel pump
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirschwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: hanging fuel pump Reply with quote

how does something like this just find it's way to be dangling down?
isn't the EFI fuel pump on a T3 typically bracketed and bolted to the front beam?
what bolts would I be looking for? I might just have to try to zip tie it to the beam until i can get it up on a lift to be reworked or replaced.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: hanging fuel pump Reply with quote

kirschwagen wrote:
how does something like this just find it's way to be dangling down?
isn't the EFI fuel pump on a T3 typically bracketed and bolted to the front beam?
what bolts would I be looking for? I might just have to try to zip tie it to the beam until i can get it up on a lift to be reworked or replaced.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking at the pic, the rubber mounts broke (right mount in the pic is the big give away), allowing it to fall off the beam.
KTPhil knows where you can get new rubber mounts, and McMaster Carr sells them too (but with SAE threads (not metric).
For now though, you could just zip tie it in place until you've got the replacement mounts.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
kirschwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: hanging fuel pump Reply with quote

thanks, bob. it makes more sense now. i also looked at some classifieds of fuel pumps and used brackets. found that agreed, mine sheered off or snapped at the threaded mounting studs on the end of the bushings. i may try to buy a used bracket complete with rubber mounts and studs and try to get under with just a tire jack and the front passenger tire removed if i can. floor jack in the driveway not an option right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirschwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: hanging fuel pump Reply with quote

or those 24" zip ties might come in handy temporarily again Smile
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: hanging fuel pump Reply with quote

kirschwagen wrote:
thanks, bob. it makes more sense now. i also looked at some classifieds of fuel pumps and used brackets. found that agreed, mine sheered off or snapped at the threaded mounting studs on the end of the bushings. i may try to buy a used bracket complete with rubber mounts and studs and try to get under with just a tire jack and the front passenger tire removed if i can. floor jack in the driveway not an option right now.

Here's a link to them that KTPhil found. Sorry for the length of the link.
https://www.grainger.com/product/2NNZ6?gclid=CIvZn...NZ6&AL

Someone else found them at NAPA. Part # 191201256 $2.49 each
I hope this helps.

P.S. The 24 inch zip ties will work as a temp solution until you can replace the rubber bits.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: hanging fuel pump Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
kirschwagen wrote:

Here's a link to them that KTPhil found. Sorry for the length of the link.
https://www.grainger.com/product/2NNZ6?gclid=CIvZn...NZ6&AL

Someone else found them at NAPA. Part # 191201256 $2.49 each
I hope this helps.

P.S. The 24 inch zip ties will work as a temp solution until you can replace the rubber bits.

Yes...you can get them in metric from McMaster Carr...pages 1440 and 1441.

6mm thread @ 0.5" long on each end...5/8" diameter X 5/8" high rubber...available in neoprene part # 9225K52 @ $1.80 each and natural black rubber part # 9217K57 @ $1.76 each.

Ray
kirschwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: hanging fuel pump Reply with quote

Thanks Ray. These dimensions and specs are very helpful.
Thanks to all for the input as well. Happy holidays!
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: hanging fuel pump Reply with quote

I have to admit I use PVC tape to hold mine in place. Embarassed

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: