Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOCO Solar Trickle Charger-Maintainer revisit
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopaTopa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: NOCO Solar Trickle Charger-Maintainer revisit Reply with quote

As I look forward to being reunited with my Westy after being separated by wildfires, I’ve been prepping a few enhancements. Awaiting Amazon delivery of a new NOCO 2.5amp (EDIT: 2.5Watt, sorry..) solar battery charger & maintainer to keep a new and soon-to-be-installed Bosch Group 41 battery topped-up while parked in-between uses. Along with the solar charger I also ordered a 10ft extension so I can route it around the car cover (thru the wind-wing?), plus an adaptor allowing use of NOCO’s proprietary plug to allow integration with other Battery Tender (standard SAE) plugs already installed on a battery-connected pigtail and other vehicles, scooters, etc.

Two questions arise before I tear through the packaging:

1) Though the NOCO manu literature bills it as a ‘maintainer' it does not appear to have the micro-processor ‘float-circuitry’ characteristics of the Battery Tender brand, and while there does not appear to be risk of overcharge or backflow (I know not of which I speak..), I’m wondering if it does as good a job monitoring and optimizing (and perhaps in some cases, repairing) the battery? Battery Tender’s website offers: “…Battery Tender Jr. battery charger has microprocessor controlled power electronic circuitry which enables it to preform and safely control a number of sophisticated charging functions, well beyond the capability of inexpensive trickle chargers…” So is there some risk here or am I selling myself short with this product?

2) I’ve always been leery of charging (or worse —in my mind— jumpstarting) a vehicle through the cigarette lighter (mine’s a Go-Westy replacement) because of (again, what I perceive to be) too thin of wire gauge. Is my concern legit-?

I considered purchasing a Battery Tender brand solar panel, but it did not *appear* to have the build-quality or versatility of the NOCO. Similar story with the Schumacher and Coleman chargers at price points thereabouts.

I would appreciate any insight, input, or reassurance from any of you who have a good grasp of Westy-lectrics! Gratitude!

Last edited by TopaTopa on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: NOCO Solar Trickle Charger-Maintainer revisit Reply with quote

If you are asking about the NOCO 2.5 WATT solar charger, forget about it.

2.5 WATTS is only 0.2 amps for a 12 volt system.

Can't do much charging with that. Might help an already fully charged battery stay charged with nothing else connected to the battery.

Mark
TopaTopa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: NOCO Solar Trickle Charger-Maintainer revisit Reply with quote

Mark, edited/corrected to read watts, thank you.

Intended use is top-up trickle charger while stationary in the carport instead of a Battery Tender (no outlet nearby).
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: NOCO Solar Trickle Charger-Maintainer revisit Reply with quote

It won't top up a Vanagon battery. A cell phone battery, sure. A small lawnmower battery, ok.

It is a ridiculously weak and stupid device. Some of the reviews say their battery goes dead faster with it than without it. Beware.

Mark

TopaTopa wrote:

Intended use is top-up trickle charger while stationary in the carport instead of a Battery Tender (no outlet nearby).
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: NOCO Solar Trickle Charger-Maintainer revisit Reply with quote

Agreed send it back. You'd be better off just unplugging your negative battery lead.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
It won't top up a Vanagon battery. A cell phone battery, sure. A small lawnmower battery, ok.

It is a ridiculously weak and stupid device. Some of the reviews say their battery goes dead faster with it than without it. Beware.

Mark

TopaTopa wrote:

TopaTopa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NOCO Solar Trickle Charger-Maintainer revisit Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Agreed send it back. You'd be better off just unplugging your negative battery lead.

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

TopaTopa wrote:

Back it goes!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: