Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDi Starter - Is it Hype?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.

Did you change it because you needed a new starter?
Did you change it because you wanted the higher torque?
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Did you notice a real change in starting 2.1 WBX with it?
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Did you not really notice a big change between it and the OEM starter?
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Did you think it was worth the time to change it if your OEM was working?
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 25

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

I'm just not seeing a great improvement. My Syncro with a stock starter starts just as easily compared to the TDi starter.
I might add that I did increase the wire gauge for the starter wiring so old wiring or too small a wire gauge is not an issue.

My '81 with ABA gas I4 has a new gear reduction starter on a Mullendore adaptor. HUGE improvement over the stock Bosch starters I had in rotation. That new starter has been absolutely flawless over the last ~ 10K miles operating under a variety of ambient temps with a battery thats at least a few years old. I don't recall if it's a slightly larger gauge but that van has a 1985 starter to battery cable and engine compression should be in spec. On my '88, installing a NOS OEM cable made no improvement to my $$ rebuilt WBX starter. (and no obvious difference to charge system). And that starter was turning a 2.1 WBX with lower compression readings. On that '88 the yet to be started rebuilt ABA conversion will have the same starter upgrade. I bet the original starter cable would've operated this new gear reduction starter on this rebuilt ABA engine just fine.

Both vans have a manual transmission.

I've only ever had one Bosch Vanagon rebuilt but in my limited experience, even a new off shore starter vs a rebuilt older Bosch core stands a better chance of being reliable. And, the electrical-mechanical advantage and better future proofing using a gear reduction starter makes money spent on the adaptor plate a "no brainer". Bonus; I will most likely never feel a need to pack a spare starter.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

This is the 1st of three Remans from Autozone over about 30 days that I installed on my 89 Van. The OE starter had about 148k miles on it. They are OE replacements (not TDI).

This one was a Bosch reman. The other two were no-name brands as far as I could tell. The 3rd one has worked like a champ for about 11 months.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

In this forum you won't likely hear feedback from all the non-Vanagon applications I've sold them to as well. Trikes, V8-powered builds, Beetles and buses with Subarus, TDIs and other engines. When I designed the adaptor I thought maybe I'd sell a hundred or so. I think I'm at 700-800 right now. Blown away - so thanks everyone for buying!
I bought a 1990 MV automatic last year, which came with a new rebuilt starter and 'sketchy' engine. I replaced the engine with a DJ-code 112hp wbx I had on hand and at the same time one of my adaptors and the Latrical (CA starter) knockoffs. It never fails to crank fast whatever the temperature, and often fires off in less than one revolution. The fast cranking speed and almost double the torque of the stock starter makes it one of my favorite mods too. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I changed over to the 1.8T starter with the adapter rather than the TDI starter with my stock engine. I went with that one due to a easier installation procedure in a syncro with a diff lock with it's shorter length.

How much shorter is the 1.8T starter compared to the OEM design for the 2.1wbx? That sounds very attractive for the reason you stated!

Do you have a part number or link as a source?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

So to summarize this into the first post so you do not have to read through it.

Even though I did say the 2.1WBX engine there were a lot of response in regards to the conversion engines.
- I obviously see the benefit for the larger or higher compression engines. That was not in question.

The bottom line answer for me is the availability plus the quality builds of these right compared to the "OEM rebuild" now if you are using the 2.1WBX.
-----------------

kamzcab86 wrote:

^That's what needs to be quantified: How old were these OEM starters at time of replacement? It's only natural that a new component works better than an old, worn out component.

What the TDI starter does have going for it over the OEM is that it allegedly lasts longer. Lots of folks have had rebuilt OEMs fail within a year or two, hence trying something different.

That is a key point - from what is being said there is a lot of "rebuilt" OEM starters failing. What is there to rebuild on these or more accurately exactly does anyone know which parts on the rebuilds are failing?

Okay in this regard if you wanted to rebuild your old starter here is a link to parts for rebuilding your OEM:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Starter-Parts-for-Volkswagen-Vanagon/177700/bn_1502980

---------------
dhaavers wrote:
Sorry to be "that" guy, but your poll seems rather unscientific... Embarassed

I think what you're looking for is more along the lines of a survey' i.e.: "choose
all that apply" rather than a poll, i.e.: "choose the ONE which applies"...
- Dave

Yeah maybe..I wrote it up before trying to prove Einsteins theory,(before morning coffee x 2 cups) #Sleep
-----------------
AndyBees wrote:

Lastly, the OE TDI starter is still functional in my 2000 Jetta with almost 370k miles on it. So, I do believe they are very robust.

Sounds like a great reason!
---------------
dart330 wrote:
A quick check for a Vanagon starter at AutoZone and O'Reily shows special order only. A 2003 Jetta TDI starter is on the shelf and ready to go, a real life saver on road trips.

Very good point. For this reason alone makes me glad I did change to it.
---------------
crazyvwvanman wrote:
This is one of the major benefits to me as well. There are also other even more common VW gear reduction starters that also work with the "TDI" adapter Karl came up with. I use a version for ABA 2.0 gas engine cars as well as the early years of TDI cars. Not rated as powerful as the later TDI starter but still rated more than the old tech boxer engine starters.

Mark

---------------
Gruppe B wrote:
Don't forget that the TDI starter does not use or need a shaft bushing. I had a bushing spin out on one of my vehicles years ago and the starter gear ended up not being supported. It destroyed the starter and the ring gear.

TDI all the way...

------------
Gruppe B wrote:
Benefit #10
You can buy brand new starters instead of a rebuild (no core too)

https://www.amazon.com/Valeo-438076-Starter/dp/B00...76+Starter

I agree with you, but your link to the Amazon source did not work.

------------

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
In this forum you won't likely hear feedback from all the non-Vanagon applications I've sold them to as well. Trikes, V8-powered builds, Beetles and buses with Subarus, TDIs and other engines. When I designed the adaptor I thought maybe I'd sell a hundred or so. I think I'm at 700-800 right now. Blown away - so thanks everyone for buying!
I bought a 1990 MV automatic last year, which came with a new rebuilt starter and 'sketchy' engine. I replaced the engine with a DJ-code 112hp wbx I had on hand and at the same time one of my adaptors and the Latrical (CA starter) knockoffs. It never fails to crank fast whatever the temperature, and often fires off in less than one revolution. The fast cranking speed and almost double the torque of the stock starter makes it one of my favorite mods too. Smile

Along with your mod for the heater fan lubrication this has to be counted as one of the "great" mods we have had the benefits of.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

FWIW: I've had this bookmarked for when I need it...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDEOKDE/ref=wl_it_dp_...IYI5ADDQEN

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

For stock Vanagon boxer starters they got stronger over time.

From .7_kw up to 1.0_kw afaik (maybe 1.2kw ?)

The early TDI/ABA starters I'm using are 1.6kw
The later TDI starters Karl specs are 2.0kw

Mark
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
FWIW: I've had this bookmarked for when I need it...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDEOKDE/ref=wl_it_dp_...IYI5ADDQEN

- Dave

That's makes it very attractive to not rebuild the old one!

oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

I'm in the process of having my OEM starter rebuilt locally, from a shop that has an excellent reputation rather than of the shelf rebuild from who knows where, done with who knows what.

For $100, i think it's going to have excellent longevity and if need be a warranty with a local business that does them in house to 'talk' to.

These auto electric rebuilders are everywhere and supports local business.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Valeo-438076-Starter/dp/B00...leo+438076
This was the one that Insyncro stated he used.

I've just ordered this for my new 1991 Westy Project and already have the adapter from Westyventures. I'll install it once it arrives to ensure it fits.

Westyventures posted a warning on the automatic starter thread that some people have had issues using the Valeo.

Westyventures
Quote:
Be careful with the 'Valeo' starters as some have had experiences where they don't fit. My money is on the Latrical / California Starter brand, and that's what is installed on my personal automatic Westy.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

Be careful - this starter uses [shows] an 11-tooth gear, the TDI starters normally have 10-tooth, so not sure this will work correctly. Please do update when you find out though. My money is still on the Latrical / California Starter units.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

Thanks Karl,
I'll check the box when it arrives. If 11 tooth I'll ship it back.

Will this Latrical starter work?
https://www.amazon.ca/LActrical-TORQUE-STARTER-TRA...ANSMISSION
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Thanks Karl,
I'll check the box when it arrives. If 11 tooth I'll ship it back.

Will this Latrical starter work?
https://www.amazon.ca/LActrical-TORQUE-STARTER-TRA...ANSMISSION

They may have offset the nose to compensate for the extra tooth, hard to say until it's fitted.
Yes, that's the Lactrical version I have.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

TDI starter ........ junk yard pic as I recall.

Although it looks really bad, once I cleaned it up and added some lube, it worked fine. It's been in operation for over two years and about 30k miles.

And, below it is mounted on my tranny with the adapter...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

I just did the upgrade to the TDI adaptor and starter.

My conversion came w/ a 'hi-torque' IMI starter that worked well for the past 4 years, but recently needed some occasional hammer treatment to crank over the past month.

The new TDI starter definitely spins everything up quicker than the IMI.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

Works great and was necessary on the GW 2.7
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
I changed over to the 1.8T starter with the adapter rather than the TDI starter with my stock engine. I went with that one due to a easier installation procedure in a syncro with a diff lock with it's shorter length.

How much shorter is the 1.8T starter compared to the OEM design for the 2.1wbx? That sounds very attractive for the reason you stated!

I’m not sure if this a 1.8T starter or not but xoo00oox recommends SR0425X in a Syncro for the same reason, it is shorter.

“I recommend using the SR0425x starter, this identical to the SR0408X except about an inch shorter, it was used on the 5 speed gas powered MK4 jetta/Golf/Beetle. It it still very powerful like the TDi starter, so powerful that I have even used them in TDi cars in a pinch and it cranks over just fine.
With the SR0425X, you can R+R the starter in a syncro in minutes with out removing any other parts even if it has a locker.”

Here’s the link. About have way down the page. Has a photo too.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7999542&highlight=sr0425x#7999542
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

SteveMc wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:

I’m not sure if this a 1.8T starter or not but xoo00oox recommends SR0425X in a Syncro for the same reason, it is shorter.

“I recommend using the SR0425x starter, this identical to the SR0408X except about an inch shorter, it was used on the 5 speed gas powered MK4 jetta/Golf/Beetle. It it still very powerful like the TDi starter, so powerful that I have even used them in TDi cars in a pinch and it cranks over just fine.
With the SR0425X, you can R+R the starter in a syncro in minutes with out removing any other parts even if it has a locker.”

Here’s the link. About have way down the page. Has a photo too.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7999542&highlight=sr0425x#7999542

I'm liking it and I haven't got one yet! 😆

Thanks for the info.

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi Starter - Is it Hype? Reply with quote

I have not used the TDI starter conversion as yet. I have however used several higher KW (401x?) units on stockers, 2.2 subi's and my 2.4 wax with 220psi static compression results. Mounting this unit combined with diff lock is a bit of a chore but I have not experienced a need for anything else.

J
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: