Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantillon14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
I wish they would give the Brazilian busses their own classified section Very Happy
something

I second this.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

I may change that in the future but there is a link at the top of that section to see "pre-1968 Buses only" that should (hopefully) exclude all the Brazilian Buses

I agree too ___POLL !
I like the fact that Parts are available, but there are too many guys faking them, like the Mustang Cobra's.
You can even buy an ID plate (fake). I have had two splitty's, love them, I feel real inside one< strange?
Yes I have cars surrounded in plastic, but the bus is a strange love affair for me, even when she Breaks, I cannot get mad at her. This is the biggest site in the world, time to distinguish the two apart. I have seen many of these imports, most awful, a few done well, but I only want German rides. Have you noticed? they even smell different! If you don't smell Schnitzel, it just is not a German steel. "they actually mixed Schnitzel into the alloys, that's not oil, it's grease"
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

If you whiners can't handle looking at certain split buses, just click on the link that Everett has been kind enough to put for you at the top of the split bus category in the classifieds. (search only pre-68 buses) That cleans out most of the split buses which your tender eyes can't handle.

Personally, less than 10% of the split buses in the classifieds excite me at all. I just scroll past those ads that I am not interested in and click on the ones that do excite me. I suspect that is how most everyone does it.

Brazilian buses are real split buses. They have two windows in front. Brazilian imports mean more split buses on the market. More split buses means lower prices for all buses, including the German produced ones. Arguing against Brazilian buses is basically arguing for less buses on the road, and for all buses to be more expensive.

I understand being against Brazilians if you are a heartless speculator. But if you are into the hobby and into split split buses, it seems silly to argue against more cheaper split buses.

deal with it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

Personally, less than 10% of the split buses in the classifieds excite me at all. I just scroll past those ads that I am not interested in and click on the ones that do excite me. I suspect that is how most everyone does it.

Brazilian buses are real split buses. ...

deal with it.

Right on. there are very few buses i find exciting. i scroll right by the wide hatch buses, past the 23 window deluxes, just not my thing.

i find a 6 door brazilian taxi just as interesting as a salesflap or a highroof bus, a swivel seat or just about any year barndoor. Wish i could afford one of each kind. completely do not get the disdain for brazilian buses. How about CKDs, buses from South Africa, swedish buses with the cargo doors on the left? All of these idiosyncrasies are what makes them interesting.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Lind wrote:

Brazilian buses are real split buses. ...

deal with it.

Right on. there are very few buses i find exciting. i scroll right by the wide hatch buses, past the 23 window deluxes, just not my thing.

i find a 6 door brazilian taxi just as interesting as a salesflap or a highroof bus, a swivel seat or just about any year barndoor. Wish i could afford one of each kind. completely do not get the disdain for brazilian buses. How about CKDs, buses from South Africa, swedish buses with the cargo doors on the left? All of these idiosyncrasies are what makes them interesting.

I think the issue most people have which unlike CKD and Swedish, SA busses is those busses are truly 67 and older busses - where Brazilian busses, the majority are 70' somethings. meh.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

What Texas said-thumbs up.

If you bust your ass cleaning-up and old bus, you want to have an older bus. I have yet to see a well done "imported for sale only" from Brazil. Guys just using inferior paint jobs and sticking them in a container to make a buck- it does make German's more valuable, but it kind to like a Shelby Cobra replica, everyone has one, and what was once a rarity, has become Meh.
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
What Texas said-thumbs up.

If you bust your ass cleaning-up and old bus, you want to have an older bus. I have yet to see a well done "imported for sale only" from Brazil. Guys just using inferior paint jobs and sticking them in a container to make a buck- it does make German's more valuable, but it kind to like a Shelby Cobra replica, everyone has one, and what was once a rarity, has become Meh.

There are pre 69' Brasilian splitscreens in original paint, interior, engine etc etc, and they are a lot RARER than finding a German unit kept in the original state.

Any car restored poorly is shaite, been an old VW, A cobra, A mustang whatever.

By coincidence I just sold my last aircooled 65' VWB Kombi today.

They buyer is very happy in getting my Original Paint, original upholstery well kept 65' brasilian made unit I kept for over a Decade, used by the whole family, 15k km road trips, and many stories. But that was a while ago.

BUT

This scene got way too snob for me.
It got so expensive and the ''I am rich attitude'' and the more the price bracket went up with these vehicles, the attitude came down, and the fun careless free factor reduced.

I promise this is my last POST here in the samba. I won't bother you guys anymore.

I have other project cars from other brands to keep me entertained which are irrelevant to bring up here.

Thanks for all the help I had here. Time to move on.

Merry Christmas and all the best.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

I predict Brazilian buses will continue to increase in value as more people who can no longer afford a German bus will buy them. They are actually starting to grow on me especially the 15 window models that are very reasonably priced.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

There are lot of folks here who think overpaying for a hunk of metal is an investment, which it just isn't. The Brazilian scene is just one of many risk factors that take this out of the investment category and into the wild-catting territory.

No one has gotten rich off these things - plenty have gotten poorer.

The value of cash invested in 2009 now is extreme - if you bought a Bus for 20k in 2009 and did nothing to it, and it isn't worth 50k, you lost money.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

Skim wrote:

I think the issue most people have which unlike CKD and Swedish, SA busses is those busses are truly 67 and older busses - where Brazilian busses, the majority are 70' somethings. meh.

i got into old VWs in the 80s, when the 67s were barely 20 years old, just old cars really. Early Bays are now almost 50 years old. maybe we don't need to be that hung up on the year?

Don't get me wrong, i am a narrow hatch bus guy, but it is not the year, it is the look i like. I like chokes, reserve, smooth dashes without fuel gauges, semaphores, foot operated high beams, tiny little round tail lights, brake light engine lids, etc.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Skim wrote:

i got into old VWs in the 80s, when the 67s were barely 20 years old, just old cars really. Early Bays are now almost 50 years old. maybe we don't need to be that hung up on the year?

Don't get me wrong, i am a narrow hatch bus guy, but it is not the year, it is the look i like. I like chokes, reserve, smooth dashes without fuel gauges, semaphores, foot operated high beams, tiny little round tail lights, brake light engine lids, etc.

I second that whole list! FWIW Brazil buses always kept narrow hatches. As a part time contractor, that just means I have to take my BAY window when I go to Home Depot for 4 foot wide sheet goods. but I like the narrow hatch look as well.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

I'm daunted by my '65 15 window... If I could get ahold of a parts rig to chop bits off and it were from South America, I don't think I would bat an eye. I am still trying to sort out what order of operations to make any headway at all with my two drivable VW's let alone my '60's stuff. How anyone can find the time to do project after project on top of other projects baffles me.

Keep up the good work, all those who are able!

-bobby
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

It is difficult to predict what the amount of Brazilian buses will do with the price of German buses in the future.
A fact is that there are still a lot of them for sale.

http://www.dreamkombi.com/us/collection/kombi/
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

I get a little irritated when I look in the split section(every day) and theres a handful more of them posted. 10 years ago I just wanted one. I didnt care what country it was manufacured in. The longer ive been in the scene the more my views have changed. I used to want a beautiful restored bus, but now i like them sort of beat up and original. 15 window buses used to seem like unicorns to me lol. But now its common and not as exciting when I do see one. It does seem like the prices of all splits are coming down to more reasonable prices. If I was in the market for a 15 window, i would buy a rusty german built one over a Brazilian restored one and fix it. There more attchment(for me) knowing it was shipped to my country 50-60 years ago from its true home and enjoyed here in the states its entire life until left to rot. Then I stumble across it and resurrect it. It means more to me. However, if I didnt have the skills to fix them and just wanted one to enjoy, id spend half the money and import a brazil one. I would buy the baywindow/ split window one from the 80’s because those are different. I wonder if the Porsche 911 had been made in brazil in the 70’s too, what that market would look like?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

BusJunky wrote:
However, if I didnt have the skills to fix them and just wanted one to enjoy, id spend half the money and import a brazil one. I would buy the baywindow/ split window one from the 80’s because those are different. I wonder if the Porsche 911 had been made in brazil in the 70’s too, what that market would look like?

Yes, it might be neat to have one of those. The bay is a lot longer in the cab (10 inches, maybe) so as a long term driver, one might find it more comfortable.
Not sure I want a Brazil restored one. but there a few to choose from.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
nigel naughton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

Some in this thread were just saying, 'just scroll pass them in the classifieds and deal with it'. For me that's not the point. I was just wondering on the effect they are having on the 'real' buses. I am sure any VW from the Motherland is the way to go and if someone wants a Brazilian one then ok..no problem.

Which kind of leads me to the next question: Is the bus scene (or the VW aircooled scene in general) getting played out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

nigel naughton wrote:
Is the bus scene (or the VW aircooled scene in general) getting played out?
It depends on if you're trying to impress people or have a fun hobby.

If impress people, yes. People used to identify more with the car they drove... as a representation of themselves.

Now more people identify themselves by how many FB friends / IG followers they have. So, cars in general are less important now... compared to how they used to be.

If for a fun hobby... no.

The people who enjoy it will stick together & have somewhat of an infectious vibe on some they meet.

Some people might say Ford Model T's are played out... but the enthusiasts disagree.
Air cooled being played out depends on how you identify.
Having a bit of an identity crisis?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

nigel naughton wrote:
Some in this thread were just saying, 'just scroll pass them in the classifieds and deal with it'. For me that's not the point. I was just wondering on the effect they are having on the 'real' buses. I am sure any VW from the Motherland is the way to go and if someone wants a Brazilian one then ok..no problem.

Which kind of leads me to the next question: Is the bus scene (or the VW aircooled scene in general) getting played out?

It's collapsed to enthusiasts except in a few large metro areas where air cooled mechanics still exist. It will collapse there as those mechanics age out.

Every time you see a post containing " mechanic needed in AAAAA, ST it's a maker of this. Likewise, if people are searching for me chances in major MSAs, it's telling of the slow inexorable entropic evolution to chaos.
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Most of the PoserPoorPatina crowd don't have OG quality busses either, they have hack jobs cobbled together, looking for people to say

"Look at the cool guy in the VW Van, I mean Bus...I bet he can change into his wet suit in it."

If you like a Split, buy it and drive it

If you like a Brazilian Split, buy it and drive it.

If it turns you on, its right for you.

If someone else's ride turns you off, thats on you.

Or maybe just buy a Honda, you meet the nicest people on a Honda.
nigel naughton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's with all these Brazilian buses? Bringing values down/up? Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
nigel naughton wrote:
Is the bus scene (or the VW aircooled scene in general) getting played out?
It depends on if you're trying to impress people or have a fun hobby.

If impress people, yes. People used to identify more with the car they drove... as a representation of themselves.

Now more people identify themselves by how many FB friends / IG followers they have. So, cars in general are less important now... compared to how they used to be.

If for a fun hobby... no.

The people who enjoy it will stick together & have somewhat of an infectious vibe on some they meet.

Some people might say Ford Model T's are played out... but the enthusiasts disagree.
Air cooled being played out depends on how you identify.
Having a bit of an identity crisis?

No identity crisis for me. I grew up with VWs of all types so all the VWs I've owned are just for personal pleasure. I could care less what people think of what I'm driving. I am the type that can just sit in my deluxe and be happy without professing 'hey look at me!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: