Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To patina or not to patina
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squidjit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

Well.. what do you guys think..
I have a 1963 gulf blue notch..
I've always wanted a patina'd car.. I thought this may be my chance.. but the more I strip the house paint off the more of its secrets are revealed..
The roof stripped fine and polished up nicely.. but I started on the rear fender.. the house paint came off fine again.. but I'm finding this fender had a properly done respray that is a hint off.. and the true gulf blue underneath is fairly thin..
I find myself debating if it's even worth saving for patina or just painting it and redoing it all..
Keep in mind that the left door and both fenders are going to need extensive work and will have the be touched up to remain presentable.. this car will never be a purists car either.. while I'll keep the original color and body lines I will add my own flair in the way of a period correct but aftermarket interior, lowering, etc..
How far have you guys gone to save a patina'd car?
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

Your car .. Your choice

Many a purist has taken a rust bucket and brought it back to show room condition...

And yet other non purist have taken a show room car and turned it into a Rat Rod or full patina'd car.

Make it what you want, you have to be happy with it and enjoy it no one else.

even a rat rod fully modified car can be restored in 50 years time, at least you have not scraped it.

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

I concur with retrovan. It's your ride, your canvas and your taste in what you want. Strip it down to its gulf blue, sit back with a few brews and stare at it for a while and see how if grows on you and it's what you want. As long as you're happy with it, you'll be fine. Everyone has their own taste in wheels man. Pics would be nice.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

Yup, it's your ride, do what you want with it.

While I'm not a purist, I have rebuilt a couple of rusting hulks in the past, including 1 that Tram said "I built the somebitch out of air". Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
squidjit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

Yeh I know it's mine.. and in the end it's my decision..
Just tough deciding between the 2..
The car isn't going anywhere so it'll get done one way or the other..
I'm just unsure if it's worth the effort to save the patina or just go new..
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

squidjit wrote:

Well, something to think about, if you decide to save the OE paint, and you find you've gone too far, then you know you're due for a re-paint.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

It's been said, your car. Me personally, it was cool when it started many years back, now it just seems played out and way over done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
It's been said, your car. Me personally, it was cool when it started many years back, now it just seems played out and way over done.

again I agree with its your car, your choice. to me, I would repaint, "patina" is WAY played out.
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

It's only OG once, if it's savable, by all mean save what you can, if not respray it. But like others have already said, your car your choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:

Agree, the few cars that have a real genuine patina look great, but there are way too many cars out there with fake patina or "save everything even if it is too far gone".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

The pictures he posted of it on facebook yesterday make it NOT a patina candidate IMO.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

squidjit wrote:

If as you said, that one side is near perfect, but the other side is heavy patina, then you would have to fake patina most of the car to get it to look uniform.

This spoil's the look and as said, its well over done, a full rust bucket will look good, a fake one never does....

If still not sure, take all the house paint off, give it a good wax, and get it running,

Once you have run it you will get its personality, then it will guide you to which direction to go.

1st stage, is get it on the road, or you may loose interest and it just becomes yet another uncompleted project on Gumtree.

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

Let's see some photos!
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

Actually I have a totally different take on patina.

While I have no interest in the look for cars....I do respect patina as its found on old tools and objects....99% of which are now really just unused museum pieces...which is why the patina and original-esque condition CAN be respected and left as is....however these cars are in my opinion...designed to be driven and operate in a harsh environment and need and deserve to be protected properly to do so.

I actually have much more respect for those who strip the car or nearly so...enough to correct rust throughs and cancer and sealing of internal leaks....and work hard with good modern coatings and products...to make the patina. A patina produced in this way requires as much skill and money and provides as much protection...as a good paint job

In that respect...THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IS OBSERVED...and that is the absolute preservation of the actual irreplaceable German metal of the car.

Sorry..."OG paint"....is just paint. You can dicker about the quality of it versus new....but its just paint....similar to the fact that real patina is just rust and oxidization...and as original as one thinks it is...its not. The cars did not come with rust on them. Wink

While I highly respect and agree with preserving the original COLOR....to me its no better than working hard to preserve the original German grease in the ball joints or the OG oil in the transmission.
Sadly...paint is a consumable in its own right. Even with the best care it will wear out and should be replaced...hopefully with something in the same actual hue (not just general color) and of the same quality as the original.

Yes...I realize that last point is THE point of contention....that modern paints are not the same quality as original....but by that same token ...original paint with rust and oxidation is nowhere near the quality of original paint.

But as noted...its your car...do it the way you want. If you want a Patina car...by all means do it quality...preserve the metal FIRST.

Far too many people I see....simply take a scotch brite to their rusting hulk and throw on a clear coat. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

"Patina" is just convincing yourself that a junky old car is cool.

It's a lot easier and cheaper than doing body/paintwork.

Self-deception requires no real effort or money,
Just work inside your own head..

What’s That Noise?!?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: To patina or not to patina Reply with quote

mine was patched/painted in a few places and color matched then cleared over. The clear is just rattle can and will come off with acetone.

I wanted a daily driver, we already had 2 beetles that sit in the garage with nice paint jobs. I drive it to work and I park where I want, and don't worry about door dings.
under the outer skin, it has all been repainted, rebuilt, new interior, and running a 1904cc that keeps up to modern traffic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: