Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2003 EVC VR6. Camshaft Sensor Replace. Which is Bank 1 and 2?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: 2003 EVC VR6. Camshaft Sensor Replace. Which is Bank 1 and 2? Reply with quote

Hey y'all I can't seem to find this anywhere. I have a bad camshaft position sensor. After getting a camshaft sensor code on Bank 1, I swapped the sensors and the fault code then went to Bank 2. I have a replacement, but looking down from the front of the van, I don't know which bank of cylinders on the motor is 1 and which is 2. One sensor is higher up on the motor on the driver's side. The other - also on the driver's side, is a bit lower, obviously corresponding to the lower camshaft. Anyone have the wisdom?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TuckedVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 EVC VR6. Camshaft Sensor Replace. Which is Bank 1 and 2? Reply with quote

Quick vortex shows that Bank2 = Exhaust side and Bank1 = Intake side

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7150980-Which-one-is-the-camshaft-position-sensor
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 EVC VR6. Camshaft Sensor Replace. Which is Bank 1 and 2? Reply with quote

There was a recall on these, which might still be active - Ill try find and post.

You usually get 10 years.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 EVC VR6. Camshaft Sensor Replace. Which is Bank 1 and 2? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There was a recall on these, which might still be active - Ill try find and post.

The replacement less expensive one I bought at Autozone was junk. Threw a code within a few minutes of install. Reversed 'em and the code followed the new sensor. Gonna get a Bosch. If there's a recall does that mean we get the replacement for free?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 EVC VR6. Camshaft Sensor Replace. Which is Bank 1 and 2? Reply with quote

Bank 1 finances the purchase

Bank 2 finances the replacement transmission

Very Happy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 EVC VR6. Camshaft Sensor Replace. Which is Bank 1 and 2? Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Abscate wrote:

The replacement less expensive one I bought at Autozone was junk. Threw a code within a few minutes of install. Reversed 'em and the code followed the new sensor. Gonna get a Bosch. If there's a recall does that mean we get the replacement for free?

If it's within the 10 year window of the recall.

Looking in Alldata, no luck. Mine may hAve been replaced on a emissions warranty basis, I can check paperwork in the am.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 EVC VR6. Camshaft Sensor Replace. Which is Bank 1 and 2? Reply with quote

Thanks for checking that. I got a Duralast model from Autozone - defective right out of the box. Code followed the new sensor from one bank to the other. Ordered a Bosch unit. We'll see how it does.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 EVC VR6. Camshaft Sensor Replace. Which is Bank 1 and 2? Reply with quote

Replaced mine on warranty in 2003, 22k miles.

Symptom was an occasional flash of EPC light, no change in performance
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 EVC VR6. Camshaft Sensor Replace. Which is Bank 1 and 2? Reply with quote

Replaced it with a good Bosch unit. Just drove 400 miles. No issues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: