Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Get your bets in.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Get your bets in. Reply with quote

After driving around for a bit today I noticed something was either dragging or sticking. Got home, put my hand on the right rear wheel and it’s hotter than heck. My guess is bearings or wheel cylinder has gone bad? What’s the over/under?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Get your bets in. Reply with quote

Unless you were driving with the parking brake at a click or two . . . suspect the wheel cylinder OR the rubber flex hose.
Stupid hose got me once . . . replaced a $75 caliper just to find out that I just needed a $10 flex line. Never again! Wink
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Get your bets in. Reply with quote

Well since I don’t have an E brake......😂😂😂

I have new wheel cylinders already as I was planning on “upgrading” them with late backing plates, larger cylinders and shaved larger shoes. Guess I’m doing it sooner than I thought.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Get your bets in. Reply with quote

I would look at the rubber hoses too. Over time, they will completely collapse inside the hose to the point there is no visible passage left.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Get your bets in. Reply with quote

Rubber hoses may be a good call. After sitting for bit something has either cooled down and contracted or pressure has subsided and released so that the wheel is rolling free again.
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Get your bets in. Reply with quote

Definitely sounds like the hose to me. Has happened on a few of my cars. Over time, the brake hoses degrade and swell to the point where it can close up. When you apply the brakes, the pressure will expand the hose to allow fluid through but once pressure is released, the hose will contract and fluid is trapped by the swelled hose. This keeps the fluid from flowing back to the master cylinder. The trapped fluid allows the brakes to drag and produce heat. Eventually, the friction will heat up the fluid and cause it to expand, increasing drag on the brake shoes and the friction and heat climb. This can lead to the wheel locking up.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Get your bets in. Reply with quote

A little bit distant from your single brake/wheel issue, is if there is not enough free play in brake cylinder push rod, the plunger blocks the port from/to reservoir and causes pressure to build in brake system and actually starts applying the brakes and as heat builds in system, it gets worse as more pressure builds, BUT it usually happens on all four wheels if its a master cylinder/pushrod issue... I betting rubber flex line on side giving you fits just as others have mentioned... If you have one in trouble, replace them all because the other are not far behind, and you will only have to fight with bleeding system once....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Get your bets in. Reply with quote

Since consensus seemed to be lines, I picked up new ones this morning and will be replacing to see if this solves just before I tear into the drum. Really not wanting to get into that this week as I’m short on time due to my kids coming into town.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Get your bets in. Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Since consensus seemed to be lines, I picked up new ones this morning and will be replacing to see if this solves just before I tear into the drum.

No need to tear it apart.
the easy way to determine . . .
When the brakes on the one wheel are dragging . . . open that bleeder valve.

If no fluid and the brakes continue to drag = wheel cylinder (or something inside the drum) might be the problem.
A small squirt of fluid . . . followed by the brakes releasing = a bad hose.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Get your bets in. Reply with quote

True. I would think if a bad cylinder they would stay locked and right now are released. The wheel also doesn’t seem to lock immediately, takes a little bit. I’m replacing the lines either was since I bought them. It’s the easiest solution at this point. If it’s a cylinder it will have to wait for a bit as I don’t have time for this much.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Get your bets in. Reply with quote

As a follow up, consensus seems to have been correct. Replaced rear soft lines and problem seems to have cleared up. When I cut the old rubber lines the inner hole was tiny. Trying to blow through it took serious effort so they did seem to be fairly swollen and partially collapsed. Thanks all for the help.

As a suggestion for anyone replacing their lines grab a set of flare end wrenches to remove the fittings. Stripped two of the little bastards trying to get the lines off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: