Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Help with VIN/Chassis Numbers
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNSRANCH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Need Help with VIN/Chassis Numbers Reply with quote

Don't know if I'm in trouble or not.
Bought my buggy in May. A new VIN was never issued when the bug was converted to a buggy, so original VW VIN is still on title. Lived in Oklahoma all it's life.
To make matters worse, I bought the buggy in Oklahoma and I live in Kansas.
So, when I went to get it inspected, KS DOT informed me I had to get it cleaned up before they'd transfer it.

Fortunately I bought it from a dealer, so he's been working to get a new VIN.

He's gotten a new VIN issued by the State, (OK0828506112) but I'm likely going back to OK to match the vehicle to the original VIN before they issue a new title.

Here's my issue\problem\question........

1. No VIN plate anywhere on the buggy (at least anywhere I can find one).
2. Titled as a 1973 VW, Classic, exempt.
3. VIN number on title (OK title) - 1132826707
4. Chassis number on tunnel - 116587111
5. Engine number - AK 101045

So, I have a 10 digit VIN and a 9 digit chassis number........

Now what do I do?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with VIN/Chassis Numbers Reply with quote

You should have this conversation with the dealer.

It sounds like he has been able to get the state to issue a new VIN number. Not sure of your particular state but that's fairly normal on a buggy.

In California when you build a buggy as a Special Construction vehicle, they issue you a new VIN number which the CHP attaches on a tag to the body

They only look at the old chassis number to make sure the number isn't in the system as a stolen vehicle.
CNSRANCH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with VIN/Chassis Numbers Reply with quote

Thanks.......my concern's been matching the title to the buggy. With no existing VIN plate and nothing to tie the chassis number to the title, I've been worried.

Dealer's telling me that OK does not stamp a new VIN plate/frame, etc. Hoping that the final paperwork will make Kansas happy.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with VIN/Chassis Numbers Reply with quote

Might want to bounce information at this site against what dealer is telling you....

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with VIN/Chassis Numbers Reply with quote

So I'm confused - The 17 digit VIN wasn't mandatory until 1981. VW used the 7 digit Chassis number up thru 1980. A '74 T1 pan would have a VW chassis number 114xxxxx - where the 3rd digit is the year of manf. That 114xxxxx should be the one stamped in the tunnel (and dash plate and under trunk plate if supplied). Both my dune buggy and Speedster kit car use the original VW chassis number as a "VIN" on the title. Usually a state assigned VIN starts with the 2 alpha state code. The AK motor was used in 1973. Some state allow rebodied vehicles to title vehicles using the OEM VW chassis id number - others (since it doesn't look like a VW T1 Bug) require state assigned VINs.
CNSRANCH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with VIN/Chassis Numbers Reply with quote

You're not alone being confused. I'm not sure I'm in posession of the original donor vehicle. A 116XXX IS 1976, NOT '73.

I can't figure out what specifically ties the buggy to the title.......hopefully the Court order from OK will clear it up.......although today is the first day I took the carpet up enough to expose the chassis number.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with VIN/Chassis Numbers Reply with quote

I would "find" a number tag (1132826707) on the chassis and dummy up about it.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: