Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brass shift rod bushing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fs71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Brass shift rod bushing Reply with quote

There is a company that sells a brass shift rod bushing to replace the nylon type bushing. It is suppose to be a life time replacement. Any one have experience with this brass bushing? Any cons to a brass bushing instead of the nylon bushing?

Thanks for your opinions.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brass shift rod bushing Reply with quote

It's funny how the rubber and plastic parts that were originally installed on these cars seem to outlast the replacement parts available today despite the huge improvements in the materials used to make these things.

Anyway, the last time my shift rod bushing croaked, the spare I had in stock was so old that it just crumbled in my hands.
The simplest solution was to just make one.
I just turned a brass bushing on my lathe. It's held in place with a snap ring. It was basically free.

If I remember correctly, the ID was about 21.15mm, and the OD was about 26. So the wall thickness isn't much, especially at the groove for the snap ring. It shifts nice and smooth, it's accurate, and doesn't rattle.

I think the lifetime bushing for sale in the classifieds comes with some sort of installation tool; I just used a long nose snap ring pliers, but it took some patience and finesse to get the snap ring in place.
I hope the bushing I made outlives me.
With any luck, I will never have to dick around with this again.
Good luck, Mondshine

Last edited by mondshine on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brass shift rod bushing Reply with quote

CB Performance sells what they claim is an OEM busing

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/111-701-259a.htm
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brass shift rod bushing Reply with quote

I put one of the bronze bushings in Hermann. Wasn't too much trouble and it tightened up the shift pattern pretty well. And....like their ad said, I won't have to ever replace it.

BNMike
NY thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Brass shift rod bushing Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685654&highlight=brass+shifted+bushing

I'm looking into getting one too
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Brass shift rod bushing Reply with quote

Did you also buy the install tool?
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Brass shift rod bushing Reply with quote

Hyatt181 wrote:

I did. I still have it. I shouldn't need it again, I suppose that if somebody wanted it, I'd sell it for a few bucks. It includes the instructions on a USB 'Key'.

BNMike
Fs71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Brass shift rod bushing Reply with quote

Hyatt181 wrote:

Heads up on install. I purchased the install kit. It is simply a short piece of plastic pipe with a cap and a home made tool for the installation of the snap ring. I advise to purchase the install kit. Do yourself a favor and purchase a 90 degree, long reach snap ring pliers; I found them on Amazon. The only kind of pliers I could find were internal snap ring pliers and not external snap ring pliers (external snap ring pliers would be best because you only need one hand). Internal snap ring pliers will work, but require two hands. Throw the home made tool for the snap ring in the trash. The 90 degree long reach pliers made the installation of the snap ring so easy compared to using the home made tool included with the install kit.

The bronze bushing seems to work really well. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Fs71 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Brass shift rod bushing Reply with quote

You can get the bronze bushing at your hardware store or search the internet. The part is listed on this thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...ware+store
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: