Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motorcycle rims
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sstech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Motorcycle rims Reply with quote

Hey guys so i had the idea of running motorcycle rims on my street rail with link pins and a stock 1600. my main question is if its a good idea or not. my plan is to get a pair of 96 zx11 front rims they run the same axle diameter as the link pin spindle shaft and i would keep the disc brake setup they run but id probably get some beefier calipers. My only concern is that they might not have the braking power required. if anyone has any incite it would be much appreciated
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle rims Reply with quote

Nobody has chimed in yet- but I have a question. I'd expect much of the design rigidity of those wheels to come from being mounted with a through axle- fork to fork. Is integrity expected to be the same when anchored on only one side?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle rims Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Nobody has chimed in yet- but I have a question. I'd expect much of the design rigidity of those wheels to come from being mounted with a through axle- fork to fork. Is integrity expected to be the same when anchored on only one side?

Integrity of the wheel would probably stay the same, but the smaller diameter axle will no way support the cantilevered weight. There are motorcycle type wheels designed for spindle mount on a car. I suggest OP search Hot Rod sites for spindle mount spoke wheels. I did a quick search for "T-bucket spoke wheels" and came up with a load of stuff.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle rims Reply with quote

My main concern would be how motorcycle wheels will stand up to cornering stresses. On a bike the rider leans the bike over, but on a car the wheel remains straight up and down (well mostly) putting far more strain into the hub of the wheel. I like the idea of an integrated wheel/brakes though.

brad
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle rims Reply with quote

Laughing They are outlawed at a Drag strip for a reason Wink Laughing
but I do run MC tire's on my solid spindle mounts Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: