Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

It's a play thing wrote:
better might have been a poor choice of words on my part. On my off road Thing it was important to keep the rear deck lid and keep the tires under the fenders, sorry for the confusion. while still being off road worthy.

Went to your photo list last night and looked at yours. I like it a lot as well. As mentioned im not sure just how happy i am goimg to get with the sawsall in the future. So protecting the corners may or may not be an issue? At any event im sure there will be some whittled on the corners to gain some rock clearance. Thanks for the help here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

For what I was going for a 1" longer rear arm put the tire right were it should be any longer and the tire will contact the rear section of the car. You can get a good amount of travel and a great ride with the proper set up. all depends or goals and wallet...

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

It's a play thing wrote:
For what I was going for a 1" longer rear arm put the tire right were it should be any longer and the tire will contact the rear section of the car. You can get a good amount of travel and a great ride with the proper set up. all depends or goals and wallet...

It has a set of 1" wider 1" longer arms added in the back by the Po. Ive Mfg.ed long travel sand cars for years and know fully well what can be achieved with good set up. To be honest i dont think I want to put all that effort and cash into this project. I just want to clearence it, and do some body armor, throw a winch in it, another fuel tank and go dual sport it. For some reason i keep thinking Mojave Trail... LOL i really like what youve done to yours and may replicate a few thing you have done with your permission? Lots of questions as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

Subscribed
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

DavidWymore wrote:
Subscribed

Oh now this is just great! Now the pressure is on to actually get something accomplished. Laughing

So being your here David I’m really thinking seriously about not putting in a B pillar when I build the cage. Was talking it over with Pete and he suggested an arch in the roof for added strength. Easy enough! I can always add one later if it feels to schetchy or I can add an internal v or x brace... any thoughts? When was the last time you turtled yours. Lol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

Looks cool. Maybe more arch?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/538263-started-buildin-new-car.html

Never had mine upside down. I'm used to keeping 4x4s upright (or trying) so the buggy is easy.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

Maybe a rack along these lines...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

DavidWymore wrote:
Looks cool. Maybe more arch?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/538263-started-buildin-new-car.html

Never had mine upside down. I'm used to keeping 4x4s upright (or trying) so the buggy is easy.

Exactly, I will never get it on its roof. And that crawler is a bit flamboyant for my tastes... to each there own! The rack should add a bit of strength should that ever be an issue. I’m feeling comfortable with it...

Just by turning the thing into a primarily dirt worthy machine I’m already hearing the dis pleasures of the purests. Oh well. The price was right, it fell into my lap, so it must of been meant to happen! Nothing leaving this shop is left stock! LOL
Augie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

Was wondering what happened to this thread.
Hobug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

From what I read in another thread Metal Twister unexpectedly passed away. Crying or Very sad
72 Super
63 Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Augie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear that. He had some nice ideas.
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

Sure do miss you, Metaltwister. Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: