Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Did the Eric & Barb thing on my fuse box
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wack01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the one i use i been using it for about close to a year hasn't failed. I've also use on IC components haven't toasted one yet.
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=15860+TL

or buy this one if you want to know what temp your running
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=15845+TL
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
The secrets to soldering are everything has to be extremely clean, use the right amount of heat and the right kind of solder.

Sorry to bump myself but maybe you missed my question.

Short of the screw vs spade terminals are all headlight switches the same in the dimmer?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

Sorry to bump myself but maybe you missed my question.

Short of the screw vs spade terminals are all headlight switches the same in the dimmer?

Pretty much, yes.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Is there such a thing as 6 volt and 12 volt headlight switches when it comes to the rheostat that controls the dash lights or are they identical?

is this a test??? 12v will last longer when used on 6v switch.(less amps) that is why 6v usually have higher gauge wire than 12v.....

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Is there such a thing as 6 volt and 12 volt headlight switches when it comes to the rheostat that controls the dash lights or are they identical?

is this a test??? 12v will last longer when used on 6v switch.(less amps) that is why 6v usually have higher gauge wire than 12v.....

So a headlight switch that came on a 6 volt spec bus has fatter rheostat wire and whatnot internals? And a headlight switch that came on a 12 volt spec bus would not be too good to run on a 6 volt bus?
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

So a headlight switch that came on a 6 volt spec bus has fatter rheostat wire and whatnot internals? And a headlight switch that came on a 12 volt spec bus would not be too good to run on a 6 volt bus?

The only bus parts book I have access to is the 58-67 online book from OACDP. The 58-67 book only lists one headlight switch, and it was obviously good for both 6V and 12V. They probably didn't bother to redesign the switch specifically for 12V when the original 6V switch would work fine for both.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Did the Eric & Barb thing on my fuse box Reply with quote

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but is there a link to the soldering fuse box fix, or does someone sell them already done?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Did the Eric & Barb thing on my fuse box Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483901&highlight=fuse+box+soldering

Also solder up the riveted connections of the headlight switch, and same can be done on exterior of the ignition switch.

http://type2.com/library/electris/vw-hauptlicht-schalter.html

Can do the work here if you want, Pmail for more info.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Did the Eric & Barb thing on my fuse box Reply with quote

I'm really surprised somebody like Wolfsburg West doesn't already sell one made this way. Seems like it would add hardly anything to the cost and they could sell it as 'new and improved'.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Did the Eric & Barb thing on my fuse box Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
I'm really surprised somebody like Wolfsburg West doesn't already sell one made this way. Seems like it would add hardly anything to the cost and they could sell it as 'new and improved'.

I thought someone mentioned that Wolfgang or someone sold them done like that?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: