Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boring Liners for 83 big bore pistons
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt350ta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Boring Liners for 83 big bore pistons Reply with quote

Hello,
Is it possible to bore that much from stock late case (90 mm) 77mm liners to fit big bore 40hp 83mm pistons. There are no sets for late case I think and pistons are readily available. I'm mostly concern about overheating because of thin walls.
Thanks for any input.
Best Regards
Peter
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Boring Liners for 83 big bore pistons Reply with quote

I think they would be to thin, you would be cutting about 1/8" of a inch from the wall of the cylinder, A&A makes a 80mm kit for the 36 hp that pretty cheap but you have to open the heads and case up to fit them, this should be a 1303cc motor, if you put a 69mm stroker crank in it it would be a 1387cc.
I think you would need 1/8" cylinder spacers to do it and it will make your motor wider which may cause a exhaust and intake problem.

https://aapistons.com/products/vw-80mm-type-1-cylinder-kit-36hp-big-bore

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Boring Liners for 83 big bore pistons Reply with quote

You can find old stock 83mm (1500) piston/cylinder kits if you keep looking. I have a set of NOS 69mm-stroke 83mm COFAP pistons and cylinders that will go onto a rather old-school engine I've got the parts to put together (1493 single port, will have dual 34 ICTs on it, mostly intended as a beefy good-fuel-economy engine to replace the 1385 big-bore 40 engine in my 62)

Of course, 1200 and 1500 piston/cylinders also differ in that they have different lengths and connecting rod/piston pin diameters.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt350ta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Boring Liners for 83 big bore pistons Reply with quote

Thanks for replies.
On pictures it looks like big bore kit has all external dimensions the same as 1200 barell. The wall is thinner than 1500 but similiar to 1600. Will talk with my machinist. I'm upgrading my cooling system with dog house so shouldn't have problems with overheating.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Boring Liners for 83 big bore pistons Reply with quote

I alluded to this above, but keep in mind that the 1200 uses a 20mm pin at the connecting rod and 13/15/1600 use a 22mm pin!! (not very interchangeable, in other words)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt350ta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Boring Liners for 83 big bore pistons Reply with quote

I'm aware of all the differencies, trying to build fast 1200 looking daily driver motor. With 1200 rod and 69 crank you can get more low end grunt but still be in a very decent rod/stroke ratio of 1.884:1. Also I a have late mexican 1200 with 90 barell mounting size.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Boring Liners for 83 big bore pistons Reply with quote

OK, cool, just wanted you to be aware just in case you didn't know all about those differences.

Wait a sec though, when they shifted 1200 production to Mexico during model year 1978, the cylinders reverted to the 1969/older specification of 87mm openings at the bottom.

gt350ta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Boring Liners for 83 big bore pistons Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip and for photos, which are worth more than thousand words. Didn't expect for so many good info. I will have to check case opening dimension. Also will cut one junk head to see what can be done to enlarge ports for bigger valves and carbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: