Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Turnsignal switch?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

I am confused. I cannot believe this little set screw is to hold the turn signal assembly in place? Yes I realize it is an aftermarket piece but is that correct this little set screw to holds the entire turn signal assembly in place?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

Yep, that little screw is what secures the turn signal switch to the steering column... or at least it would if yours wasn't missing.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

The set screw places pressure on the contact plate..
It actually pulls the plate and pinches the switch to the column.

glutamodo wrote:

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Fortunately, I have all of those pieces now just to get them reassembled.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

you actually are able to fix a missing contact plate? I noticed the quote of my old image inserted above. (those photos are of are an early 60s Ghia switch, an NOS 66-67 switch and a an NOS Schadek Brazil 66-67 reproduction) but while I've seen the "missing contact plate syndrome" a few times over the years, I don't recall ever being able to fix it. I do remember seeing some seriously buggered-up column tubes due to having the contact plate missing!

The contact plate is sort of peened to the end of the screw. If it falls off it very often gets thrown out and not saved for some kind of re-use. Above, it was described as "pulls the plate" but more accurately, should say that it PUSHES the plate against the column tube.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanaJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

I am new here and want to start working on my 67 bug with my son. I've had my bug for 28 years and it's falling apart now because it was my everyday car for 20 years. The Arizona heat does not help. Anyway I am missing that same screw. Is there anywhere to get one? or what size screw and or threads so I can find or adapt one to work?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

As I said directly above, I've seen some rather mucked up column tubes when someone tries to manhandle a bare screw in there without a proper contact plate attached to the end of it. I've never seen nor heard of those parts being available.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanaJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

I have no idea if I'm missing the contact plate or not. I'll have to check ans see. I'm assuming I am missing it. Is the contact plate attached via it threads into it? Or is is just a plate that gets pushed when the screw hits it? I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out how it works to see if I can just make a new contact plate by hand. Either way I need to find out what screw will fit and how long it should be first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

It is pushed by the screw, the end of which is peened/mushroomed loosely through a hole in the plate to keep it captive, but loose enough so that it does not rotate with the screw.

DanaJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the images. Now to find the right size screw. I'm sure that piece can be made by hand if it's missing. I just need the right screw.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

You're welcome and I wish I had a "bad" switch that I could use to determine the thread size of the stock threads. Alas I do not. I remember seeing a couple of cars (not mine!) over the years where someone just jammed whatever they could fit in there and didn't even bother to cut it down so there was a screw sticking out of the switch. These go along with some memories of buggered up column tubes. Brick wall

DanaJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Turnsignal switch? Reply with quote

Well if I can find a screw that will fit, I'll be sure and cut it down to the right length and I'll make sure that plate is there. Thanks, again for all your help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: