Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Excessive steering play
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Excessive steering play Reply with quote

Hi folks - I just got my bug back on the road after having to swap out the tranny with the parts bug. What a beating that was...
Drives good now but there is a lot of play in the steering. Is there a way to adjust the steering box or should I think about swapping that out from the parts bug also?
How hard is it to take out and put back in?
Thanks,
-Traver
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 bolts the beam will drop out and 4 bolts that box i will come off

Open your trunk . Under the spare tire. you will see three cover plates. The one on the right side . Remove that plate you will see your stearing box and a adjuster nut . on top you will need a flat head screwdriver and like a 13 or 15 mm wrendh and mess with that a little bit if that does nothing . maby replace that box

check for anything lose or see if you have any boots torn up there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Friedpotatoes"]6 bolts the beam will drop out and 4 bolts that box i will come off

What??? you do not need to take the whole front beam off just to change the steering box!!!! Rolling Eyes

Yeah, check the steering box and see if the play can be adjusted out and check for worn out/sloppy tie rod ends, or a torn up rubber steering coupler
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i take out the beam to do the box but maby thats just me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! well it's cool... as long as your having fun Exclamation Very Happy seems like a lot of work though IMO

but it is not really neccessary, just take the tie rod ends off, undo the rubber coupler on the shaft and remove the pitman arm, and 2 bolts on the box/collar and that's all... Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Traver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, cool, thanks for the info you guys. I did try to adjust the screw things behind that plate but it didn't help. I need to check out the tie rods and such as well.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was the screw on the adjustment of the box down near flush with the adjuster nut?? if so the box is shot to hell.

otherwise grab the front tires at 9 and 3 position and wiggle them... and look at the tie rod ends when you do. If you see movement they are shot.
chillz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friedpotatoes wrote:
6 bolts the beam will drop out and 4 bolts that box i will come off

Open your trunk . Under the spare tire. you will see three cover plates. The one on the right side . Remove that plate you will see your stearing box and a adjuster nut . on top you will need a flat head screwdriver and like a 13 or 15 mm wrendh and mess with that a little bit if that does nothing . maby replace that box

check for anything lose or see if you have any boots torn up there

Also, as an FYI, you need to be careful not to tighten that adjusting lug in too far. It can hinder your steering from "coming back" naturally when you come out of turns and such. Can be very dangerous given the right circumstance.
NorCalNick
Ain't yo baby daddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once in one of my old bugs i was driving to work and noticed extream play in the wheel. after checking it out my steering bow was so loose it was sliding on the beam
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I parked my bug one time and about an hour later I went to back out of the spot and my outer driver's tie rod end litteraly fell apart on the spot . . . man, how would that have felt at 60mph? I am now always checking my front end just in case something is working it's way loose.

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: