Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

Is it advised, when getting a windshield replacement, to also replace the seal, even if the glass place says it doesn't need to be replaced? I've read conflicting things about this (as in, you should ALWAYS replace the seal in conjunction with the new glass).

Much appreciated!

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

I haven't replaced my windshield yet so haven't much advise on how well the rubber stands up to uninstalling and reinstalling - but - is it original? If so, it's 30 years old give or take a month or two, how long much longer will it keep the wet out? And will you know if it isn't?

Mark (of the rust paranoia....)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

It's not original, it was replaced around 6 years ago and still looks good.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

Rubber components like window seals can take a 'set,' assuming a unique shape to suit the variables of their particular installation. No two installations end up precisely the same, so when re-used with a new piece of glass your used window seal may have tight spots (and worse) gaps, causing water leaks.

Better to spend the extra few dollars and use a new seal when installing new glass.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

Just popped up in the classifieds...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2128310

Not German but new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

When I replaced the OEM German seal in my '74 it was 16 years old, hard as a rock, and badly cracked. The American made seal it got replaced with is now 29 years old and quite soft still. I doubt that I will ever put the '74 back on the road, but I might risk rerunning the seal if I did, I could always use some polyurethane to seal it if need be, had to do that with brand new seals at times anyway. What I am saying is that replacing the seal is a judgement call, does the old one have a reasonable amount of life remaining and is the new one made from quality materials so it won't die an early death? In the old days, at least, German made was not a sign of quality when it came to rubber products.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

I don't know what the right answer is but I usually reuse them and normally go with whatever the glass place says.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

Yep - lesson learned... always replace the seal while you're doing the windshield - even if it looks good!!

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

Why, what happened, did it leak?
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Why, what happened, did it leak?

It sure did! Real bad, too. New one in and no leaks.

childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
Rubber components like window seals can take a 'set,' assuming a unique shape to suit the variables of their particular installation. No two installations end up precisely the same, so when re-used with a new piece of glass your used window seal may have tight spots (and worse) gaps, causing water leaks.

Better to spend the extra few dollars and use a new seal when installing new glass.

Good luck!

YES, MOS DEF TRUE!!

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

All I can say is results vary.

I have long ago lost count how many windshields I have had in the past 30 years but the seal is the original, still pliable, still looks good and still seals.

The van has enjoyed indoor parking its whole life which probably helps... plus the original German seal may be superior to replacements offered through the years.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seal - Always Replace, or... ? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
All I can say is results vary.

I have long ago lost count how many windshields I have had in the past 30 years but the seal is the original, still pliable, still looks good and still seals.

The van has enjoyed indoor parking its whole life which probably helps... plus the original German seal may be superior to replacements offered through the years.

well yeah, with indoor parking I'd reckon your results are a bit different..

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: