Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru conversion help
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jigga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

Hi,

Ive recently put a subaru 2.5L into my buggy, and im having issue with the engine cutting out. I have driven it briefly before and it was running ok (albiet a high idle). The mechanic had a look at it, did some things and now it cuts out. Naturally, I cant reach him on the phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

Carburetor(s) or EFI?

Need better description of problem than "cuts out"...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

Add gas. Honestly it could be about anything!
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

Where are you located? If you are in SoCAl, try Outfront Motorsports. We have a shop here in CT that has helped us out many times with our Subaru powered Manxter. It call RABE Motorsports in Wallingford, CT. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jigga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Carburetor(s) or EFI?

Dale

Efi dale.
jigga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Carburetor(s) or EFI?

Dale

Engine starts, drives a short distances then it feels like it's starving for fuel (power cuts out then comes back). Then not long later engine stalls.
jigga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
Where are you located? If you are in SoCAl, try Outfront Motorsports. We have a shop here in CT that has helped us out many times with our Subaru powered Manxter. It call RABE Motorsports in Wallingford, CT. Tom

I'm in Australia Sad
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

jigga wrote:
Tom_Kathleen wrote:
If you are in SoCAl, try Outfront Motorsports.

I'm in Australia Sad

Try Out BACK motorsports

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

Not to be snarky, but find a qualified Subaru tech that is willing to sit with the car and diagnose it with the OBD connections. Anything else is going to be guesswork through the internet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

That will work unless he has a aftermarket ECU like we have (EMS Stinger). Then the troubleshooting gets more difficult. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

Start with checking all the ground connections. All the ecm's I have dealt with have multiple ground connections.
jigga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I'll try a Subaru technician first. Fingers crossed!
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

If it's losing power then stalling, you're losing something. It could be:

Fuel pressure (bad filters? Bad pump? Bad circuit powering pump?)
Spark (bad coil pack? Bad ignitor?)
Info (could a sensor be failing and the lack of info cause the ECU to shut down?)

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion help Reply with quote

Since you're in Australia try Todd at http://www.subarugears.com/ he deals with all kinds of Subaru conversions and might at least get you in touch with someone that can help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: