Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Hello samba community my name is Peter and I am seeking some knowledge in vin/chassis plate and placement for my 1963 Single Cab. I am aware of the other topics started in this same topic however I could not find anything that would help me in my situation. My 63 SC is missing the vin plate. I have already sourced a reproduction however I am having trouble identifying how a plate for my application would look like and the text placement. I was able to decode my m code plate behind the passenger side seat. As stated in the decode my production date was March 13, 1963. In this Samba link ( https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php )
It is stated that the newer style vin/chassis plate was Started in November of 63. Does this mean that since my production date was in March of 63 that my plate was therefore the precious version? I have also found that for the single cab the type is the # 26 however I do not know what the other areas of information would look like. It would be really helpful if someone with a 1963 Single Cab could post a photo of their vin plate. I will post photos of what I have and would like to thank in advanced for anyone willing to help. The last photo shows a vin plate of what I think my single cab would look like.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Would be the later type like this:

Our DEC62 and MAR63 SCs have the same. Just went out and looked at both and tried to get an image of the later one without luck.[/img]
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Looks like you posted this thread twice. If you get to the other one before someone posts to it, you can delete that duplicate thread.
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Would be the later type like this:

Our DEC62 and MAR63 SCs have the same. Just went out and looked at both and tried to get an image of the later one without luck.[/img]

Thanks for the photo is there no data for the single cab on the lower part of the plate? Also what is the location of placement and that extra small vin number where would one find it?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

mstg07 wrote:

Thanks for the photo is there no data for the single cab on the lower part of the plate? Also what is the location of placement and that extra small vin number where would one find it?

No other data stamped in the plate on lower part.

Not sure what "extra small vin" that you mean...

BTW "VIN" = Vehicle ID Number".
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
mstg07 wrote:

No other data stamped in the plate on lower part.

Not sure what "extra small vin" that you mean...

BTW "VIN" = Vehicle ID Number".

I am referring to the small vin tag above the bigger plate. I never seen one of those.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

That is the key tag that would come with the original key/s from the factory.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119339&highlight=key+tag
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
That is the key tag that would come with the original key/s from the factory.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119339&highlight=key+tag

Wow. Cool. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

No problem, glad to help! We are still learning about these old VWs decades later.... Laughing
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

For some reason my 61 does not have that plate on the firewall. Only VIN I can find it the one stamped near the deck lid. BTW....CHP won’t like screws holding a VIN plate on.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Well CHP only need the stamped in VIN.

If they have a problem with screws then they need to recall all 1950-64 VW buses.....
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Interesting...CHP claims I should have my firewall tag on the bus before he can validate VIN. Not just the body stamp. No evidence of any tag ever being on the firewall. So it was the later vehicles and most other cars that had riveted on VIN tags ?

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Pretty easy to bondo over the holes, or even been welded shut. Holes will be up higher than the standard bus. Have had good luck with poking around with a sharpish item to poke back thru the bondo.

Can you get the 63 VIN plate made? If not they should be able to understand that it was removed by a DPO so now MIA....

VIN plates were riveted in place when they moved up front to right side of the fresh air vent in the front seat interior area. Somewhere around 64 or 65.

Here is a 1966 VIN plate in situ:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

If you remove the gas tank panel on the RHS, you probably could see the evidence of the screw holes showing on the front side of the panel.

Here is a good image showing the 63 VIN plate position:

mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

There is a particular website that has this style vin plate for sale they advertise it at $95 dollars the way it is on the photo or $145 engraved with your chassis number. They do ask to see a copy of the title or registration before they make you one. It says it takes them 3 weeks to send out. I'm thinking of getting one for my single cab. Since mine is missing.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Since the plate is not correct, would see if you can get the CHP to take it as is. Hopefully later the proper tag will be made.

Might try contacting the repro plate manufacture with correct plate image and see if they would make the correct one.
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Since the plate is not correct, would see if you can get the CHP to take it as is. Hopefully later the proper tag will be made.

Might try contacting the repro plate manufacture with correct plate image and see if they would make the correct one.

They won't they have that style and the longer style showed above only. I don't think the CHP knows what the plate really looks like they only care about the vin number. Typically here in California they want to see the numbers in 2 different locations. I have had other VWs registered and titled with only the m code plate behind the passenger seat and the body stamp near the rear apron. You might need to pin point these areas to the DMV or CHP whoever is doing your verification they don't typically know where to look. Most of the times the verifier will go looking on the engine block but we all know with these old VWs the original engines aren't likely to be there.
mstg07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
If you remove the gas tank panel on the RHS, you probably could see the evidence of the screw holes showing on the front side of the panel.

Here is a good image showing the 63 VIN plate position:

So this particular plate for a 63 was screwed in or are those rivets? Would you happen to know the size of the screws used?
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

mstg07 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

They won't they have that style and the longer style showed above only. I don't think the CHP knows what the plate really looks like they only care about the vin number. Typically here in California they want to see the numbers in 2 different locations. I have had other VWs registered and titled with only the m code plate behind the passenger seat and the body stamp near the rear apron. You might need to pin point these areas to the DMV or CHP whoever is doing your verification they don't typically know where to look. Most of the times the verifier will go looking on the engine block but we all know with these old VWs the original engines aren't likely to be there.

Good call...Unlikely the CHP knows about the different plates on the different years. I thought the M code plate behind the seat was just a body run number...not a VIN. It is sequenced pretty close to the VIN . Before I take this to the CHP, I want to get my ducks in a row and not have him call me on something. Thinking now about getting the repro tag and having it stamped with VIN. This is a 57 S Cab.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my 63 Single Cab vin plate and location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Pretty easy to bondo over the holes, or even been welded shut. Holes will be up higher than the standard bus. Have had good luck with poking around with a sharpish item to poke back thru the bondo.

Can you get the 63 VIN plate made? If not they should be able to understand that it was removed by a DPO so now MIA....

VIN plates were riveted in place when they moved up front to right side of the fresh air vent in the front seat interior area. Somewhere around 64 or 65.

Here is a 1966 VIN plate in situ:

All original paint on my firewall...no bondo, no welding.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: