Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st post & some questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marty1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

just went through NY registration last year. Reg isnt the problem insurance is. I couldn't get ANYONE to touch my buggy. I tried all the usuals- Hagerty ( i have close to $100K in cars with them) ect ect. 1 or 2 of the companies would insure if i could prove that it was a Manx which of course it wasnt. I ended up sending a pic of the last good REG to my personal insurance agent and had to write it as a personal 2nd car for $500 per year. I am keeping it registered and insured year round to avoid any problem with either. It was stressful and i was elated when i finally got my plates.............

good luck!!

Marty
1960 manx like buggy
1952 Ford Mainline
1960 VW Dune Buggy (frame is a 1966- motor is 1970)
1966 Ford Wagon Country Sedan
1966 IH Tow Truck
1978 Jeep CJ7 V8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

marty1835 wrote:
just went through NY registration last year. Reg isnt the problem insurance is. I couldn't get ANYONE to touch my buggy. I tried all the usuals- Hagerty ( i have close to $100K in cars with them) ect ect. 1 or 2 of the companies would insure if i could prove that it was a Manx which of course it wasnt. I ended up sending a pic of the last good REG to my personal insurance agent and had to write it as a personal 2nd car for $500 per year. I am keeping it registered and insured year round to avoid any problem with either. It was stressful and i was elated when i finally got my plates.............

good luck!!

Marty
1960 manx like buggy

Contact Rally insurance. They insured both my DuneBuggy and 64 Bug for under $250/year total. Agreed insurance value and some mileage restrictions but they are reasonable ones for recreational vehicles. Only caveat was no off-road coverage.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
zanderk_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

Happy New Year & thanks to all for the great responses & info in all your recent posts!

I have decided to sell my EMPI GTV steering wheel. It is a 15", not the rare 14" size, and I agree with the suggestion that it's best to keep the adapter & any other parts with it. I can replace it with a similar, less-collectible, wheel for a reasonable price & use the money toward the PRP Roadster seats & tracks I need. If anyone has info & advice on how to sell on the Samba classified section, please let me know. I've never sold anything online & assume I'd need to link to a PayPal account? My wife has one I think but I'm uncertain how this all works.

As for the steering column angle, I simply rebuilt it the way it came originally. It probably mimics the original 29 degree angle from the Beetle it was based off of & I agree the look would be more sleek it it were lowered a bit. Until I get my seats & install them, I'm not certain if I want to lower it or leave as is. Need to see how hard it is it get my fat self in & out of the buggy once the final seating position determined.

Thank you to those who've offered suggestions on insurance & registration. In the short term I plan to contact NYS DMV & get a copy of the forms for a home-built/custom vehicle so I can look over the process this winter.

All else will be on the back burner for the foreseeable future as temps here in upstate NY have been hovering in the single digits for at least the past 2 weeks & appear to be staying there for the near future.

Alex
zanderk_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

Been a while wince I updated this post. Winter weather has kept me out of the garage for the past several months.

Anyway, in preparation for Spring, I've purchased new battery tray & hold down, new battery cables, a rearview mirror, and a pair of cool side-view mirrors that were intended for a Harley Davidson. Also finally (after 3-4 tries) found a fuel filler cap that fits & seals the neck of my gas tank. Lastly, I cleaned up the original early-60's VW switches that came with the project. I have a wiper switch, headlight switch, & dimmer switch.

I also purchased the Universal VW wiring harness from Rebel Wire. Quality item & very happy with it. I've started laying out different wires in my basement shop before it goes into the buggy.

Looking for a source for a reasonably priced 3-wire turn signal switch. Mine was shot after years of sitting outside exposed. Cip1 has a good sale going but the switch I want is always out of stock. Any suggestions? I want one that is a replacement to the stock switch.

Also still looking at new steering wheels. I'll probably go with the EMPI dark wood 15" replacement wheel kit w 23mm grip as it's the closest to what I have now. I'll sell the original EMPI GTV wheel & hub once I get the new one installed.
zanderk_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

Thought of 2 other things that I forgot in last post...

As I get ready to final assemble body-to-chassis, anyone have experience sourcing or fabricating the brackets atop the front axle to fasten & support the gas tank? I want to procure or start making up those brackets so there's support under the the front of the body with the weight of the fuel.

Secondly, anyone using a center console in their buggy? I've search this forum & didn't see more than 2-3 old posts about center consoles. I think it would really help finish the interior & allow a place to mount a radio, store small items, maybe a cup holder, etc. I'm sure I can fabricate something myself. There's a few options out there for Beetle sedans, buggies, sand rails, etc but none seem like what I want.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

I made my own support brackets. Measure with your body on the chassis to determine how tall yours need to be.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
zanderk_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

Thought I'd revive my old thread as the warmer weather is slowly creeping back into the Albany NY area.

Unfortunately the buggy hasn't seen much work over the winter as I work 3-4 hours out of state during the week & my time time home on the weekends is short & usually filled with kids sports activities.

When I left off in November last year, I was really close to completing everything. My 'to-do' list is getting shorter. I posted my original GTV steering wheel here in the classifieds for about 6 months. Got some interest but no solid offers so it's still sitting on a shelf in the garage.

I tackled the majority of the electrical wiring. Installed the 12-circuit Universal harness from Rebel Wire. Great investment & the tech support by Rob at Rebel is amazing! I got everything sorted & ran into an issue where I can't get the brake lights to work. I think it's related to a combo of chasing grounds & trying to use '65 Mustang taillights with 1157 bulbs. If I get brake light working, I loose turn signal. When turn signals are functional, I get no brake light. Last plan was to try the "Dale" method of wiring through relays.

Still need to fab support brackets for under the front of the fuel tank & get fuel gauge wiring sorted. I also just purchased a cage (aka Baja bumper) from CIP1 to protect the rear end. Gotta get that painted & installed but my need some modification to fit with my dual exhaust set up.

Other than that, it's final bolt in of the seats, seat belts, & show bar & I'm ready to find insurance & go for NYS registration/inspection.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

Nice! More pictures please!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

zanderk_98 wrote:
Thought I'd revive my old thread as the warmer weather is slowly creeping back into the Albany NY area.

Unfortunately the buggy hasn't seen much work over the winter as I work 3-4 hours out of state during the week & my time time home on the weekends is short & usually filled with kids sports activities.

When I left off in November last year, I was really close to completing everything. My 'to-do' list is getting shorter. I posted my original GTV steering wheel here in the classifieds for about 6 months. Got some interest but no solid offers so it's still sitting on a shelf in the garage.

I tackled the majority of the electrical wiring. Installed the 12-circuit Universal harness from Rebel Wire. Great investment & the tech support by Rob at Rebel is amazing! I got everything sorted & ran into an issue where I can't get the brake lights to work. I think it's related to a combo of chasing grounds & trying to use '65 Mustang taillights with 1157 bulbs. If I get brake light working, I loose turn signal. When turn signals are functional, I get no brake light. Last plan was to try the "Dale" method of wiring through relays.

Still need to fab support brackets for under the front of the fuel tank & get fuel gauge wiring sorted. I also just purchased a cage (aka Baja bumper) from CIP1 to protect the rear end. Gotta get that painted & installed but my need some modification to fit with my dual exhaust set up.

Other than that, it's final bolt in of the seats, seat belts, & show bar & I'm ready to find insurance & go for NYS registration/inspection.

There is also this option for stop/turn signals...

http://www.signaldynamics.com/tri-star-turn-signal-to-brake-light-conversion-module/

Disclaimer: Have never used it, have recommended it many times, never had anyone say the have used it or say if the have used it it did not work....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

zanderk_98 wrote:

That came up recently in this thread.
zanderk_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

To OPRN's request for photos, I'll add some directly to this thread tonight after work.

If anyone is interested in seeing all the photos of this project, go to 'gallery' and search all postings by zanderk_98. You will get 3 pages of results. I uploaded almost every picture I had of this project here on thesamba.com last fall. I'll add more soon as I get back to working on finishing the buggy.
zanderk_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

As promised here's a few photos of how the project progressed up to where I ended last fall as the cold weather set in.

-Alex
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st post & some questions Reply with quote

Sweet! Looking clean!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: