Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not so standard, Standard.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Yes cable brakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

The end of the antenna roof hump was late 52 when the Zwitter started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... I noticed the little convex hump on the center of the leading edge, on the roof, for the center antenna support. I have owned both a 1950 deluxe and standard... my recollection is only deluxe models had this mount "bump" I say, the BODY is a deluxe... does it have mechanical brakes?

The Antenna roof "bump" was on all cars as early as 41', when there was no "standard" and "deluxe". It is very subtle though. Here is a 43' and I believe the black car is a 41'....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

John cilia wrote:
Both horn grills are bright too match the other body trim.
Yes 49 was a real game changer.
Standard was a 11 model and 11A for Delux .Then it got changed to 11A for Standard and 11C for Delux.
I have a copy of the J.T.Garwood Car of the Century book and it's unreal just how many changes were done in 1949.

John, so with all that being said, just curious does your Vin plate designate the model to your car as 11 A or 11 C? what about the BC?
And does the BC specify anything about deluxe options? typically it would list such things....
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Those square holes are NOT original for sure.
I have a june 49 deluxe body and the holes are perfectly round.

Cable brakes where stock on all models up to spring 1950.
From then on just standards kept them.

If your car has no clamps for the headliner down along left and right of the rear windows, you have a standard.
Their headliner was smaller and ended above the rear window.
Like this:

Having no horn holder also supports beeing a standard.

Adding trim was a common thing back in the days to get the deluxe look.

Last edited by usariemen on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Is the body badge with the model code still there?

This is a june 1949 deluxe or as called in Germany the export model.
Saying 10/11A

This is a may 1949 standard badge.
Saying just 11

Though, this was an "early export".
Those came from the factory before the real export model was introduced.
They where standards, pimped with some chrome parts.

John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

My body badge is stamped 10/11.
I am currently waiting for my BC and according to the people at the museum that deal with the BC my car is a Standard that came in Pearl gray.
One interesting point to my car is the simple question of WHY would anyone go to the trouble of first drilling about 30 round holes and then turn them all into perfect squares ??
Especially when the moulding clips fit a round hole ?
To me they look too precise not too be done by a factory press.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

John cilia wrote:
My body badge is stamped 10/11.
I am currently waiting for my BC and according to the people at the museum that deal with the BC my car is a Standard that came in Pearl gray.
One interesting point to my car is the simple question of WHY would anyone go to the trouble of first drilling about 30 round holes and then turn them all into perfect squares ??
Especially when the moulding clips fit a round hole ?
To me they look too precise not too be done by a factory press.

So if your car has the older style Vin plate as he showed, then your car definitely clean before they were considered either a "deluxe" and "standard".
secondly you mentioned you're still waiting for the BC, but I thought you had previously mentioned in this thread that you had the BC and we're reading info from it to us? If you are simply going off of what somebody verbally told you from the factory them saying it was a standard could be out of context in your mind meaning that it wasn't a deluxe but like I said if they're reading type 11 that means standard beetle type 11, period. They probably just using the word standard as an adjective, not as an official model designation.
Lastly, I agree with you that it is very strange about the square holes. I assume that the front and rear quarter panels also have square holes? if this was in fact added why someone would use square holes in some sort of punch instead of just making a round hole doesn't make any sense.
Where does your Vin number fall compared to the car that Usairmen mentions? earlier or later??
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

[quote="virtanen"]Can you post pics of rear quarter to see the molding holes? I see your doors have 6 clip holes, when original deluxe split door has 5 clips

Im with Mika, it's hard to see completely but it appears that the holes on the front quarter panel are not square but are round. This leads me to believe that maybe the doors have been re-skinned with replacement panels or something? it appears from the interior pictures that the inside of the door still has the gray color such as the dash does; anybody else have any input on this theory??
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

My car is a August 49.
Sorry for the confusion but originally I had given the BC people the wrong number as they were very difficult too read.
Now the car is identified as a pearl gray standard.
Trouble with the door skin theory is that the rear quarters also have the square holes.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Well, it is just a standard model with deluxe trim and horn grills added.
Nothing crazy.
Those square holes where added later for sure.
Maybe the quy had just a small drill and a square little file.
WeŽll never know.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
Well, it is just a standard model with deluxe trim and horn grills added.
Nothing crazy.
Those square holes where added later for sure.
Maybe the quy had just a small drill and a square little file.
WeŽll never know.

x2

These square holes are never daone by factory! They are added later. Doing this (=upgrading standards) was common. So you can decide if you want to restore to factory specs (without trim) or how it survived (custom specs).
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

As a side note: The passenger door has 6 holes for moulding clips and the drivers door has only 5.
I am doing a restoration of a 52 11g crotch cooler at the same time and guess what, same amount of holes on the doors, 5 and 6 !
Is this normal ?

The most important thing on a Tombstone is the Dash between the 2 dates.
vw2530
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Hi John,

Try to talk to Terry Gaudet from New Brunswick about this. I remember he once had a standard split beetle with square body holes too. Makes me think maybe the holes are done at Canadian dealership(s).

Terry is in thesamba.com with the user name (surprisingly) Terry Gaudet.

Good luck.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

Does not sound normal.
Should be five on both sides.
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

My 49 was from Mannheim Germany and my 52 from Berlin.

The most important thing on a Tombstone is the Dash between the 2 dates.
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Not so standard, Standard. Reply with quote

I would love to see how they put square holes in and why. Interesting find.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: