Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Greetings VicVan,

The first few posts on this thread should be a good start for tires. There is an accompanying thread regarding Which Wheels Fit in the stickies section.

That said, overall, the Vanagon is designed around tires that are somewhere near 25.3 to 25.5 inches in diameter, and somewhere around 6.5 inches wide. You can find any number of rime/tire combinations that will be very close to these. Most 15" and 16" Mercedes rims are good options. There are tons of tires to fit those, as well as other rims.

The big thing to get your thinking wrapped around is that the stock overall dimensions are a design line that will be good to follow, staying close to the original spec for a variety of reasons. Many find a 15" or 16" rim to accommodate a front brake upgrade is their best reason to move away from the stock rims. Some of each of those size rims will not accomplish this, so read the Wheels thread for good ideas. Of course, if you are asking about the Holy Grail rims, you will probably spending $800 for 4.

Whatever rims you find acceptable, you'll want to be sure that your tires are class C (6 ply) or class D (8 Ply) to comply with your vehicle's weight + hauling capacity (1 ton)

A modest suggestion would be a 16" rim wrapped with 195/65/16C rubber. It would be pretty close to the stock dimensions (from most manufacturers anyway). Many here would not be willing to go with less than a D rated tire, for stability on the road.

Good luck, and hope to hear what you have found to be a good (or poor) choice.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

There used to be a chart with tire size matched to engine hp output (including various conversions) and also what size fit without lifting. I think it was by Jon Slider. That should be right at the front of the thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I'd say look at what tires are available before getting 15 or 16 wheels. Figure out what sizes will work and then google that size to see how many and what brands are available. You might be surprised that there isn't as much as you thought.

I use tirerack to see how big a particular size is. Just pull up a tire that offers a lot of sizes and click on specs. Tirerack doesn't have a good selection, so you need to type that size into google shopping to see who sells what.

I would stick with 14" tires and just buy a set of used 14" alloys. But 15 & 16" wheels are o.k. if you just want a passenger car XL rated all season tire. There are a few specialty tires in 15 & 16 specifically made for small heavy vans that aren't too big but they are usually expensive and there are very few that have an all terrain tread that I like.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful advice folks. I'll start looking!
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Hi,

I have a 1990 Westy. Looking to upgrade from the stock 14". I have a couple of questions I can;t find answers on:

1/ Is there a chart somewhere than can tell me which rim width (6", 6.5"...) will accommodate which tire width (195, 205, 215...) ?

2/ Is there a big handling difference between 15" and 16"? I imagine 15" tires are cheaper, so why bother with 16"?

Hi, VicVan,

There isn't a chart that covers all tires that relates rim width with tire width, the manufactures provide ranges. But in general a 195 will not fit on rims wider than 6.5 to 7.0". I have 205/65/R16 and they fit fine on my 7" wide rims.

Handling is affected by many things and don't expect switching from one rim to another to just miraculously change things if all other things are kept the same. Even slight slop in your bearings can cause marked sensitivity to wind for instance. Getting properly rated tires is more important than the rim diameter in my opinion.

And be careful with selecting tires you don't want to go much larger than stock. For the lower Carat and Wolfsburg editions anything over 27 inch diameter will likely rub. Not to mention larger diameter will rob acceleration and braking performance.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hi geodude,

I intend to keep the same outside diameter (give or take 3%). The selection and quality of tires seems way better at 15/16" than 14, that's why.
I'm not looking for offroad tires either, I think Michelin Defender is what I am going for for!
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Blizzaks and PSI Reply with quote

I’m looking to get a set of snow tires and am looking at Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. The load rating is SL, intended for SUVs, but it says that the psi max only goes up to 36. The load rating is 103. The size I’m looking at is 235 65 r 16, as I currently am running a 29 inch tire and like the combination of rpm and height with my Diesel engine.
So my question is: is that too low of a psi to run in a heavy syncro westy van? Might be nice and cushy, but the 16 inch wheel should keep it from being too wallowy? Seems by load rating it would be fine. . .
There is another version of the Blizzak in WS70, which has a max psi of 51, but the tread pattern looks a little less aggressive and the availability it more questionable on a short turnaround.
Thoughts?
Bike as primary transportation
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

That size appears to have a max 44 psi, so it would be fine.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

235 mm at 65% width to height ration is 153 mm or about 6 inches of height from rim to tread. Seems like the lower PSI combined with that much sidewall is a bit of a stretch, in my imagination. Also, if this is a snow tire, are you actually trying to get those balloons to ride up on snow/slush etc.? Its a combination I'd have to wonder at in an overall picture. If you really want height, you can, but maybe consider a narrower tire that will slice into the snow/slush, rather than riding up on it.

Hope your winter goes well!

-bobby
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave and bobby.
I have been wondering about using a slightly narrower tire than my 235 75 r 15 summer tires (BFG ATKO), and am considering a 225 70 16 for the Blizzaks. Still, it looks like the discount tire website says max psi of 36
https://preview.tinyurl.com/yabxcx24
I’m generally going a bit slower in winter, and am used to a degree of tall sidewall, but the BFGs are pretty stiff and I run them at 40/45, so that cuts down on the squish.
At 103 load rating I figure the Blizzaks are well under the 1755lbs they are rated for, with the 9% reduction for passenger tire, and knowing that we will be carrying more in the rear. I figure a slightly softer tire will also be slightly better for traction in variable conditions, like a mini version of airing down for the trail?
The BFGs in a syncro have been great for winter, even as big balloons floating on top, however I am driving through British Columbia with my two sons at th end of December, and want to be prepared, plus here in Colorado, I’m looking forward to having snow tires for the ski season.
I am trying to reconcile the psi, load rating, passenger tire designation, and SUV style that these at supposedly designed to be for.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

macjack wrote:

I am trying to reconcile the psi, load rating, passenger tire designation, and SUV style that these at supposedly designed to be for.

Virtually all the standard load tires marketed to SUVs have a max 44 psi. It looks like all the sizes of the WS80 are 44 psi max. Some websites have bad info, just check some others or go down to the store.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

macjack,

you might want to take a look at these Vredstein Comtrac's .. IdahoDoug has a good thread on them, and I've been hopeful to afford a set for the 16" Merc's I have waiting for the right time. The Comtrac's come in a variety of rim sizes and various tire sizes for each of those as well. They look to be a good value. Here is what IdahoDoug says anyway:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
macjack,

you might want to take a look at these Vredstein Comtrac's .. IdahoDoug has a good thread on them, and I've been hopeful to afford a set for the 16" Merc's I have waiting for the right time. The Comtrac's come in a variety of rim sizes and various tire sizes for each of those as well. They look to be a good value. Here is what IdahoDoug says anyway:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Thanks, bobby. That is a good looking tire, especially if I were looking for an all season tire. I have plenty of tread left on my BFG's, perhaps like you, and Vredsteins might replace them when the time comes. For now, I'm wanting a dedicated snow tire.
Dave, thanks for the heads up about the bad info on websites. That would be great to know, if they actually go up to 44psi. That would be plenty!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

MacJack, oh, sorry, confused on that.. here is the dedicated snow tire version:

http://www.vredestein.com/car-tyres/light-truck/comtrac-winter/info/
Pschneider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

http://www.duraturntires.com/tires/consumer/winter/mozzo-winter-ice/

I have an '87 Vanagon Westfalia with the original 14" alloy wheels. A local tire service center brought these to my attention. Honestly the only aggressive winter tires I've found for the OEM wheels. $72 a tire...

I appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences with these. Thank you. Peter

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

macjack-

I just purchased a set of Nokian Hakka CR3 snow tires in 205/70 R15 (to try and stay the same diameter as OEM) which has a load rating of 103.

Cost was $130.60 per tire. Unfortunately I haven't ran them yet though due to goofing up on my rims...but i have the right spacers on order from T3.

Anyways, wanted to inform you of the option, they have many 15" sizes listed on their website. I had Discount Tire price match "Tire easy".

-Dana
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Here's a 10,000 mile update on the Nokian eNTYRE 205/70/15 tires I purchased this past summer.

Since installation I have driven from TX > CO > WY > SD > NE > KS > OK > TX in the summer with three other men, our backcountry/mountaineering gear, and all food (3500 miles)

Then I did a few trips around Texas, including down to the coast one week before the hurricane hit.

Then I did some trips to Big Bend and back (1000 miles).

Another trip TX > NM > UT > WY > CO > NM > TX in the winter (3500 miles, including snow driving in the hills above Green River, WY):

I rotated the tires once at 4,000 miles. No real signs of wear.

These tires have been great. Not very noisy, softer when offroading. No separations or flats, and no tires out of round. I'm very happy.

kourt

kourt wrote:
I just wanted to comment on the Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 tires discussed recently on this page. I just bought a set of five from WalMart and had them installed.

Background: my first Vanagon tires were Nokian C-Line Van tires, 205/70/15. 106 load rating. Good tires, but costly. I mostly drive highway, but find myself on Forest Service roads about ten times a year. I also have beehives in a rural area where the roads are crushed limestone.

The C-Line tires were very stable but also very loud on the road and very firm on bad roads, almost too harsh. I would have to replace about one tire per year due to road damage, and I had two of them separate on me recently. Perhaps I had them overinflated.

I've got the eNTYRE 205/70/15 on my van now and they are noticeably quieter, and less harsh. So far I'm very happy. If I have to replace tires with the same frequency, I'm fine with that now--these tires are 1/3 the cost of the C-Line Van tires.

kourt

Last edited by kourt on Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pacafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Man my head is going to explode after reading this and both ultimate wheel threads.

I have finalized my Wheel and Tire combo purchase.

Would someone be kind enough to let me know what PSI I should be running front and back?

89 Westfalia California with a 1.6TD (In Europe) Usually Pilot & Co-Pilot with a a Passenger in the back

7X15 Et 25 AMG Merc-AMG's Going to roll on Nokian WR C3 205/70 R15C 106/104S 8PR, 3PMSF
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Pacafalia wrote:
Man my head is going to explode after reading this and both ultimate wheel threads.

I have finalized my Wheel and Tire combo purchase.

Would someone be kind enough to let me know what PSI I should be running front and back?

89 Westfalia California with a 1.6TD (In Europe) Usually Pilot & Co-Pilot with a a Passenger in the back

7X15 Et 25 AMG Merc-AMG's Going to roll on Nokian WR C3 205/70 R15C 106/104S 8PR, 3PMSF

My go to thread for tire pressure q's that Jon_Slider put together.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597795&highlight=tire+inflation

Have found some debate on tire pressures on The Samba but in nutshell this forum contains your answer - I wouldn't trust the tire stores for Vanagon info.

Sticky tire threads from the FAQ section;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=304357
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=470786
Pacafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Punk Rock!
Thank you for the info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 57

Jump to: