Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kind of figured out how to cut spot welds. Learned how the car was put together so could take this panel apart. My cheap harbor freight spot weld cutter broke so I ordered a better style and will have it tomorrow. When I cut the welds on the car body I'll use a seam buster so I can go lighter on cutting the spot welds to preserve the metal. This excercise in putting holes in metal is just to make room for the project.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do a direct panel swap unless I can figure out how to get the welds cut at the top corners of the parcel tray. Wish the guy I bought this from didn't cut the panel short on the bottom.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

this style of spot weld cutter is far superior than the $10 version you can buy at harbor freight

https://www.amazon.com/Blair-Equipment-11096-Cutte...eld+cutter

I went slow and used cutting oil with it to help and I went through more spot welds in less time than the crappy style of cutter I had prior to this one. I just need to grind the welds at the top corners and the parcel tray will be free.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I have used a cutter very similar to what you bought.

Just a word of caution. Those cutters are sharp and hard. The downside is they are fragile. I bought a new cutter bit from the weld shop around the corner. While cutting a spot weld the whole thing slipped way from the spot weld and fractured when the bit struck another metal part of the body. It was rendered useless after only cutting 6 spot welds. I was bummed. That was a year ago and I have not bought a new one yet. They're expensive Shocked

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Just a word of caution. Those cutters are sharp and hard. The downside is they are fragile. I bought a new cutter bit from the weld shop around the corner. While cutting a spot weld the whole thing slipped way from the spot weld and fractured when the bit struck another metal part of the body. It was rendered useless after only cutting 6 spot welds. I was bummed. That was a year ago and I have not bought a new one yet. They're expensive Shocked

Good Luck.

thankfully it came with three cutters Very Happy

I borrowed a shop fan from a friend and it has made a world of difference in working in my garage here in central FL. I need to get my own and maybe a wall mount power strip so I can have a fan and corded tool going at the same time.... Curse the people that design garages... one outlet for the entire garage is a shame.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Good Luck.

thankfully it came with three cutters Very Happy

I borrowed a shop fan from a friend and it has made a world of difference in working in my garage here in central FL. I need to get my own and maybe a wall mount power strip so I can have a fan and corded tool going at the same time.... Curse the people that design garages... one outlet for the entire garage is a shame.

You ever seen a pic of Glenn's (Mr. 010) garage? He has a window ac unit exhausting heat into his garage. NY in the summer can be just as unbearable as FLA.

But yea a fan would be great to keep your cool. We have great GoodWill stores here. They are well stocked. If you have one locally, maybe you can find a power strip on the cheap there Very Happy

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I miss driving my beetle so I have decided that this new year I will get it back on the road and 100% reliable. I started today with an oil change on my Honda Element and after I finished I looked at the beetle and decided to pull the engine

I had an issue when pulling the engine out. It seems like when I pull it towards the rear there is not enough space to clear the transmission input shaft, I feel like I should not have to fight the shaft to get it out. but I got it out. I had a little bit of a fight to slide it out from the car and I couldn't get the back end high enough unless I dropped the engine onto my ATV jack and slid it out sideways.

I need to rebuild the engine, it leaks like a sieve and could use a proper going over. the transmission might need to be looked at since in 4th gear it pops out if you step on the throttle. The alternator is not going to stay, I am going to get a generator and make the engine look original-isa? I don't know what I have as far as an engine goes but I'd like a little bit more power, nothing intense. I'd like a proper oil bath air cleaner as well, again.. clean and original

I have seen a modification that makes the apron removable like the buses, I may look into that since I believe my apron has been pushed in slightly

After it was out I removed the old tar board and junk

I noticed the new bumper supports were welded over rust.... previous owners strike yet again

I invested in a set of car wheel dollies so I can roll the car out and work on it. I stored the fenders and bumpers against the wall instead of how I previously had them out.

I am half tempted to pull the body on monday if I can get lumber and build a cart to do so.

I have a good amount of rust to repair but nothing looks like it makes the body gone. I have time to learn and make the car whole again. My plan is to strip the pan, replace the thin and crappy floor pans with wolfsburg west pans, fix the front beam so its not so low, and figure out what to do with the swing plates. The last owner notched them and I feel like I need extended plates. I want to be low but not stupid low.

The front tires are too short so I may look into taller tires and a different set of wheels or get deep dish wheels for the back. I am planning on a 100% color change, I just haven't found the shade of brown I like yet.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

According to the engine codes it looks like this H03 is not the original engine and is a 1500?

Is it worthwhile to stick with this engine or maybe sell it and get one that would be correct? I haven’t started the teardown/rebuild but I’m ok not having a correct engine for my car if it means more power. I’m not looking to turbo or dual carb it.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

A few hours each month do help to continue your work motivation. That's really all I'm good for these past few years on my cars.

As to the 12V generator, you can install it onto the alternator stand that you now have. However, genuine used German gen stands would look slightly more correct; they should only cost a few dollars. Those have the phrase cast in at the bottom ledge "Zundfolge 1-4-3-2" which is the German phrase for the cylinder firing order. Just make sure you have the generator aligned correctly when you assemble it, so that the two large wire terminals point to about 2:00.

Have you checked your engine for excessive end play, by pulling firmly back on the crank pulley, then pushing forward? If you don't plan on adding dual carbs to this engine, you can send the case out to be machined for larger cylinders and stay with the single port heads. Most likely it will also need an align bore anyway. You can go for 88mm cylinders that fit into the existing engine case holes without machining to make it 1679cc; you only need to bore the cylinder heads out for the larger size which is the same diameter as for 90.5mm cylinders. Or, you can have the case and heads bored for 90.5 cylinders, making 1776cc. With that engine displacement you'd probably only need to up the main jet size slightly in your original carb. Add a freer flowing exhaust such as a 1 3/8" header and single quiet muffler, and you'll notice the difference.

For different wheels, you can go for Porsche 356 style rims which are offered in 4.5" wide (for the front), and 5.5" wide for the rear. The additional width in the rear brings the wheels outward closer to the fender edge. Such wheels can be found either painted steel or chromed. They take the original VW hubcaps.

On my '64 Ghia which has the same engine opening shape as your Beetle, I only have about 1/4" clearance between the face of the pressure plate's center ring and the back tip of the transmission output shaft when I remove it. Engine is 1600-based; transmission is a 1970 due to my pan swap. Precision maneuvering with the floor jack, tilting the engine slightly while lowering it incrementally so that the center ring clears the output shaft.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

My engine had a generator and I put the chrome alternator. My local VW shop recommended it over their cheap alternator. The chrome version seemed to give them less issues. But I may look into what you mentioned if it doesn’t cost too much more

So I still have the generator stand but no generator, I traded it for something that I can’t recall. I’ll check the endplay on the crank. I do need to get some
Replacement tin pieces. A few have damage to them

I’m going to draw up my plans for the body stand and get that built.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you! Good solid foundation though

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

im stuck on where to begin.

Do I pull the body off and work on rust or rebuild the engine or fix the pan up so it has a solid suspension, decent ride height, etc?
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I chose the ground up. Needed pan work, so I separated the Body and worked the pan, motor, brakes, suspension in that order. Now it’s body Work time. It’s really up to you though

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I guess I’ll approach it like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.

I decided to pull the tins off the engine to asses those and after doing so I’ll need all new tin. Every piece is mangled in some respects. Cylinder heads also were stuffed with junk. One screw snapped off on the head. Yay!!

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I’m sorry, I’m not laughing at you, I’m feeling your pain. But that, “Yay!” Got me chuckling.

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I don’t like snapping things off in the head like glow plugs in diesel Mercedes engines. But this should be an easy fix for anyone that rebuilds the heads for me if they can be.

Ordering an engine stand thing for the VW engine so I can split the case and more
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Revmaster over off Old Winter Garden Rd near Kirkman can clean and rebuild the heads. It’s not cheap. Iirc, I was looking at about $400 for them to rebuild and that was excluding the cost of valves. You might be actually cheaper just getting a rebuilt set from Aircooled.net or Mofoco. I’ve been down the engine rebuild path and your options locally kinda suck for machine work. RM can do it but they take awhile as it’s not their bread and butter anymore.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I was figuring I’d have to farm them out. I was going to call junior over at triangle and see what my options are. I’m cool with waiting, I’m not exactly in a rush over here so I can afford to wait.

The engine isn’t original to my car but I’d like it to look st least original ish. Time to research what I need for a carb, dizzy, and coil. I need an oil bath filter for sure.

The intake tube thing on my engine needs the heat risers replaced or the entire thing replaced if I can find a cheap original replacement.

Any VW swap meets coming up?
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
I was figuring I’d have to farm them out. I was going to call junior over at triangle and see what my options are. I’m cool with waiting, I’m not exactly in a rush over here so I can afford to wait.

The engine isn’t original to my car but I’d like it to look st least original ish. Time to research what I need for a carb, dizzy, and coil. I need an oil bath filter for sure.

The intake tube thing on my engine needs the heat risers replaced or the entire thing replaced if I can find a cheap original replacement.

Any VW swap meets coming up?

Junior is just going to tell you to buy new and he'll push Empi product. If you want them rebuilt, call Alberto over at Revmaster. Triangle does not rebuild heads.

LMK, what you need for a carb and distributor. I may be able to hook you up or help you rebuild what you have. Its really not that hard and Ive done a few at this point.

If you need a single port intake manifold, I'm your huckleberry. I have at least two of them sitting around here that I'm not/wont be using.

PM me if you need anything and I'll give you my number. I have a few guys locally that I'm hanging with and we're helping each other out. I also made a reconnect with a buddy of mine from "back in the day" that has a good amount of knowledge and resources.

For Swap meets, there is one up in Daytona the 27th I believe. The No Dough weekend is coming up as well, but cant remember if that is in conjunction with ND or later. Lakeland is coming up and there are always lots of swap meet vendors there and there is a smaller gathering in Clearwater this Sunday.

There are also a couple of localish VW FB pages, but for technical info they kind of suck.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Bought an engine stand VW adapter from the classifieds since all I could find online looked crappy or had “EMPI” on the packaging. Drilled out the necessary holes and it’s in the air now. Glad I have a bucket of random German nuts and bolts I kept from my days of parting out cars and such.

Compared to other engines I’ve worked on stands this thing is light. HeavieT I ever had on a 1000 lb stand was a straight 6 cylinder twin cam Mercedes diesel.

I need to check end play somehow. I have a metric dial indicator and magnetic base.

Case needs a good degreasing. Some fins are broken off and I’m unsure of overall engine health. If the end play checks out and compression is good I might just clean it up as best as possible and redo the tins and make it look nice until a rebuild is needed.

In other news I just bought my plane tickets and accommodations for a trip to Deutschland in May. I will be spending a day in Wolfsburg and I will be renting some form of Mercedes wagon with a 5 or 6 speed. I have my fingers crossed for a diesel too.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Germany! Awesome, make sure you try jaeger schnitzel. It is the bomb!

Looks like you've got a little work ahead of you on your 64.

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: