Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ConcreteAce's '51 build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Well it was an excellent Christmas for me this year. I acquired my first split beetle December 10th. I have been wanting one for a few years now but did not get real serious about it until a few months back. I have several friends who own splits and I put the word out that I was in the market. Within a matter of days a deal was struck and I brought the 51 home. I am lucky that I am good friends with the past two owners, so I do have around 30-32 years of ownership history. The person I bought the car from owned it for the past 10-12 years and the previous owner 20 yrs. The car sat in dry storage up until the last 1 to 2 years. Unfortunately the car got flooded during this past year. Right now my goal is to reverse the water damage , and make it road worthy.

The car had an outside respray in 2007-2008. Inside the car is still original paint and what I have been told is original interior. I also believe that the motor is numbers matching, and I have ordered a Birth Certificate to confirm this. Vin and Motor numbers are both 3/51 so more than likely it is the original motor. I am very new to the split realm and by all means you will not hurt my feelings by telling me what parts are incorrect. My ultimate goal down the road is to do a complete restoration but I am in the middle of a Ghia build for the wife and a promise has been made to finish her car first before I start blowing the split apart. I am not Patina guy. I like my VW's fresh clean and shiny. My past builds have all been lowered, big motor cars. I will not be doing that to this split. It will be a stock height, and as original as I can keep it. I do plan to drive the heck out of it though.

Here are some pictures from 2008 at the Texas Monument show. This was the first time I saw the split and not long after the outside respray
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It sat in dry storage until 2012 when it was pulled out and a friend got it running again.

It went back to storage in 2012 and was there until sometime in 2016, then it was pulled out of dry storage and during all the storms in 2017 it got flooded and mother nature took its toll on her. Interior is free of rips and wear but seats are very dirty and door cards are warped. My plan is to have the backs replaced on the door cards and try and save the original interior. Hopefully I can bring the seats back by steam cleaning. We shall see. These are pictures from when I picked her up.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Congratulations Ethan, that is one hell of a Christmas present. I look forward to you documenting your build when you are at that point. I loved the build thread for your 61. This looks like a very nice car to restore.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

beautiful car!

while I understand the taste for completely restored cars, original splits are not the vehicles to completely restore necessarily. Is it possible you could do a 100% mechanical/chassis restoration and preserve the interior? It is very uncommon to find a car with an interior that nice, and it would be a shame to rip it all out for reproduction materials that are NOT anywhere near as accurate as original is.

is the exterior paint good enough to leave? with some very careful detail work and paint restoration it may come out better than expected.

my main concern would be mud/debris left in places like the tunnel, heater channels, pan structure, etc. Could the car be mostly disassembled, cleaned thoroughly, and pan/suspension/drive train restored?

you're fortunate the engine and its parts appears to be correct as it is.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Looks like a sweet car -- I'm envious. Wink

I enjoyed your '61 thread, I'm looking forward to watching the '51 play out. I'm glad you're going for stock.
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

sled wrote:

Is it possible you could do a 100% mechanical/chassis restoration and preserve the interior?

is the exterior paint good enough to leave? with some very careful detail work and paint restoration it may come out better than expected.

my main concern would be mud/debris left in places like the tunnel, heater channels, pan structure, etc. Could the car be mostly disassembled, cleaned thoroughly, and pan/suspension/drive train restored?

You have pretty much described my immediate plans.
Doing mechanical/chassis restoration is what I jumped on yesterday.I will write that post today its a doozy. I am going to try my best to save the original interior. I do plan on doing paint correction on the outside for the time being, pictures can be very misleading and this car photographs extremely well. I to am worried about debris in in the tunnel and channels. I think I have a plan to tackle it, and I will post that when I get to that stage.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Looks like a sweet car -- I'm envious. Wink

I enjoyed your '61 thread, I'm looking forward to watching the '51 play out. I'm glad you're going for stock.

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
Congratulations Ethan, that is one hell of a Christmas present. I look forward to you documenting your build when you are at that point. I loved the build thread for your 61. This looks like a very nice car to restore.

Thanks guy's I plan on documenting this build every step of the way as I did on the '61. I will be the first one to admit that I am out of my normal comfort zone on this build, this thing has parts i have never worked on before. lol

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

So I got the car on the lift yesterday to remove the engine. First thing I notice once it is in the air is how good of condition the pans are in.

That bright yellow / orange rust that you see in the last picture by the front beam. That is what the tunnel looks like inside. At least I do not have to replace the pans, which is a first for me.

I moved on to the engine removal later that day. Well after spending 4 hours trying to muscle the engine out I gave up and back off before I caused myself more headaches. My brother helped me the following day, it took two of us 7 hrs to pull the transmission and motor as one. I have never pulled them both together so this was a first for me. and it was not easy! I pulled the hubs and lever shocks first. The brakes are shot. The brake backing plates look later and its a single bolt wheel cylinder. I am not sure what is supposed to be there so a little guidance on what is correct and what is not will be appreciated. I ended up having to pull all the top end off the motor and I had to remove the nosecone to get enough room to drop it.

enjoy the carnage here are the brakes when I opened the hub

I thought this was strange. There is no spring on either side of the emergency brake cable. Is this normal for a split?

This is what I found when I removed the sump plate.

At this point we are about 6 hrs into the engine/ tranny pull

once out we then took the pressure plate bolts out going through the starter hole, and at that time we were able to separate the motor from the tranny.

Well that is as far as I got yesterday. Today I am going to try and get the clutch disc off of the input shaft, and I might disassemble the motor to clean.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
franklinunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Nice car looks like in a very good condition and all parts there

What a christmas season Very Happy

I only have a question, Didn't 51 had inner passenger door handle? Or it was added somewhere during year 1951? I have a 51 with inner door push handle, i thought all they had.

Edit:
The handle is at drivers side, thought it would be at passenger side door, i also notice the car doesn't have crotch cooler, models from 1950 didnt had CC or again somewhere early months from 1951 they add the CC, anyone knows this data details? I am curious.

Happy new year 2018
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

franklinunes wrote:

I only have a question, Didn't 51 had inner passenger door handle? Or it was added somewhere during year 1951? I have a 51 with inner door push handle, i thought all they had.

Edit:
The handle is at drivers side, thought it would be at passenger side door, i also notice the car doesn't have crotch cooler, models from 1950 didnt had CC or again somewhere early months from 1951 they add the CC, anyone knows this data details? I am curious.

Crotch Coolers started in April of 51. my car is a March of 51

I really do not know enough to answer why the passenger door on my car does not have an armrest.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
franklinunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Yes my car is after, then is why it as the CC, thanks for the info.

Maybe someome can have a clue about the passenger and drivers inner handle, i am curious because usually at drivers side doesn't have handle, maybe it came as extra from factory, or models 50 at drivers side? Lets see if someone knows it.

That is an awesome car!!!

Happy new year and a wonderfull rides in 2018
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Drivers side arm rest was only an option (passenger side is factory). whether this was installed at the factory or the dealership, we may never know. It would be very easy for someone to buy a matching arm rest when the car was new (or even ten years old) and mount it to the drivers side. the arm rests are identical, and the drivers door has provisions for the arm rest bracket already built into it.

That is very odd you could not get the engine out. Are you saying you could not separate the engine from the transmission? If so that is understandable. but if you separated the engine then there is no reason you would have had to remove all of the top end, unless the car was seriously munched in the rear (which it does not appear to be)

those rear brakes are not correct for split, and that is why someone had to do some jerry-rigging to make e-brake cables work

The correct backing plates will have FOUR bolts holding the wheel cylinders on. Many splits have the correct backing plates but have later TWO bolt wheel cylinders from an oval window installed....Depends on how correct you want to be. 4 bolt wheel cylinders are very expensive.

the air deflector vanes above the cylinders are correct for your engine, but most people remove them and add the deflector plates on the BOTTOM of the cylinders as they are much more effective.

Do you have a photo of your heater box assemblies?..nevermind just noticed them in one of your pictures. They are later versions, not correct for march of 51
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

sled wrote:
That is very odd you could not get the engine out. Are you saying you could not separate the engine from the transmission? If so that is understandable. but if you separated the engine then there is no reason you would have had to remove all of the top end, unless the car was seriously munched in the rear (which it does not appear to be)

CroncreteAce wrote: In his intro post about the car.
Unfortunately the car got flooded during this past year. Right now my goal is to reverse the water damage , and make it road worthy.
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Drivers side arm rest was only an option (passenger side is factory).

Weird that my car does not have a passenger side. Mine only has one on the driver side, and their are no holes in the fabric on the passenger door to lead me to believe that it was removed. Maybe this is a sign that the interior is not original?

sled wrote:
That is very odd you could not get the engine out. Are you saying you could not separate the engine from the transmission?

Clutch disc is seized onto the input shaft. There was no separating the motor from the tranny while it was in the car. That's why both were pulled as one unit. That is the part that was not easy.

sled wrote:
those rear brakes are not correct for split, and that is why someone had to do some jerry-rigging to make e-brake cables work

I thought the missing spring on the emergency brake cable was odd. Now to hunt down some correct backing plates.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

to be honest when I first looked at some photos of your interior that you posted some time ago, my first assumption was that the seats/door panels at least were recovered. Then I wrote it off as weird lighting or something. But I looked again and I still think the upholstery material, as well as the welting and lower door panel vinyl looks odd. Maybe some up close photos of the fabric and vinyl would help us decipher? My friends march of 51 has all original interior and the welding/lower door vinyl is a much darker brown. Your straifenbraun upholstery also has an odd look to it? mysteries!!

also, your speedo pod is a later replacement, not original to march of 1951.

is the car a US delivered (hoffman) car? otherwise the speedo may have been changed as well as it is a MPH speedo, and appears to be a 1950 version versus 1951. Im not sure when the speedo face changed exactly, perhaps someone else will chime in with the specific day of the change. many '50' features continued up til the end of march 51 but Im not sure that is one of them..

I re-read your post explaining the stuck engine/trans, DAMN that would have been frustrating.
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Sled here are some close ups of the interior. I am waiting on the birth certificate to confirm if it is a Hoffman car. My buddy who bought it in the late 80's thinks it is a Hoffman car, he bought it out of New York himself (it came to him with a 50 NY plate as seen below). He also stated to me that when he bought it it was original paint and interior, he was the one who orchestrated the outside respray for the guy I bought it from. So if indeed the interior was changed it was changed before 1985. This mind you is all second hand information.

The 50 plate is strange as well, it being a 51 and all.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

When I bought the split it was missing some key items.
Star coil, semaphores, fuel tank , starter, and windshield wipers. As I have the funds I will slowly replace these items.

The PO did give me an old tank he had on the side of his house. I think it may be to far gone. I am still going to try and save it by cleaning and coating it. I did find a tank out of Italy. The seller did not advertise it as NOS but he did say to me that he thought it was NOS. I was very pleased when I received it. NOS or not it is one of the cleanest tanks I have ever seen.

This is the tank I got with the car.

and the new tank

took some pictures inside the tank.

I also got some proper YOM plates for the car.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

that seat upholstery and lower door panel material definitely does not look original. That pattern is april of 51 through september of 52

for some crazy reason, there are blue stripes on that upsholtery!? original streifenbraun (striped brown) upholstery have a dark brown stripe and a lighter brown stripe as seen here, with smooth dark brown piping.

also, a march of 51 beetle should have the earlier mid '50 through march-51 striped upholstery as seen here

Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Very worthy car ConcreteAce! I'm looking forward to seeing the build.

Is the car Black? In most pics it looks black, but in some others it looks Bordeaux Red and even Chestnut Brown (not available in March 51)

Keep the updates coming
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Its Bordeaux. Strange color it photographs differently depending on how the lighting is.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
15window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Ethan
Awesome split and look forward to seeing it back on the road! Great score on the gas tank, does look as good as NOS!

If your worried about the tunnel and heater channels after the flood, then Dinitrol 1000 is an awesome product. It’s a corrosion inhibiting cavity wax, much better than most of the other brands, should keep the split going for another 100 years or so!

Keep the updates coming!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: