Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
It has been mentioned already. Maybe you missed it but your generator is installed incorrectly. Yes it matters, it can't cool properly in that position. Should be like this ... rotate it 90°
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Odog....

Thank you thank you thank you...I would have never known if you had not said anything...

Just went out the garage and jacked the tinwork up as far as it would go...fat fingered those little 10mm screws out and then reclocked it to like in your picture....the pic below is as I saw it before I tore it apart...

The brandy new generator has has a plastic guard on one side of the casting....should I take it out so the air will flow thru it??

not sure how the mechanics work on these vehicles yet....just wondering out loud that is all...

MikeC
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Hi Samba folks

Been super cold here but I had the old 1970 VW up in the air so every other night I would try and go out and make some sparks fly...

from inside looking down....

from under the quarter panel...

from the back end of things....gotta do some grinding to make it look a little more pretty...

This is why I spent almost $1100.00 to have this old car shipped from Santa Rosa CA to Mechanicville NY....look there is still metal there...I pulled the running board off and did not snap one fastener...there is paint from 1970 on this car still!!!...try that on a upstate NY rot box...

Had to add a grommet for the wires to run thru the rear sheet-metal...any idea what these black wires run ??? I have little flat rectangular plastic box that has 4 male tabs inside...I hooked one little black wire to it and then I took one of the larger black wires and hooked it to it...there is a second larger black wire with a female tab on it sorta just hanging out in the back of the car...the car I think ran with just those 2 wires hooked up...anybody have a clue where the other larger wire goes??? it appears it comes from the passenger side of the rear engine compartment...

MikeC
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

I have never been one that like initial start up after tearing stuff apart...I have a local kid who knows these vehicles like the back of his hand....so we made date for Monday night Jan 29, 2018. Mr. Mike (the kids name) was there not more than 15 minutes and we had it running...

Generator light still shines brightly but it runs...we have another date in a week or so to trouble shoot the nagging generator light..

Sounds like a 1970 VW beetle...just like I remember they sounded back in the late 1970's...even smells like VW Beetle just like they did back when I had one as my only drive....

Another order to the folks at Wolfsburg for some small stuff...

Not a fan of the constant oil leaking but I have been told..."they all leak"....or another one is..."it is just marking it's spot"...more cardboard diapers for the garage floor for it for sure...

Can not wait to back it out of garage....

MikeC
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Got another regulator...trying to decipher the whole red light on the dash board...tried to polarize the new generator and that didn,t go well at all...so I did a little patching up under the drivers side fender well....

As it arrived at the compound...

a little clean up in progress here...

A little grinding action here...

covered with a fresh coat of rubberized undercoat from the local Napa store...

New parts shown here...next plan...hook the new parts up...maybe mount the gas tank too....get some fresh gasoline flowing thru it too....

Once we get it to run again...going to be towing over to a body shop to pull the front end out and the right rear too...this old VW has been hit on 3 out of four of it's corners......it is one tired old Beetle for sure...

MikeC
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:

......it is one tired old Beetle for sure...

I think they all are at this point. Smile I bet it feels good to have that repair completed. I am really looking forward to the better weather. The welder taunts me in the basement whenever I walk past it. Just got it this past summer so I grind off more than I melt on. Keep up the good work!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the old regulator...I think I found out why the red light stays on all the time...

next up a new green light for "low oil" end of things...that socket was wrecked...package showed up from Wolfsberg West so we should good to go for a little while...

MikeC
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

If anybody out there is looking for a cool little bug...I am thinking seriously about selling it...too much going on for me to really get it up and street legal again....virtually rust free from Santa Rosa CA...

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in it....

MikeC

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

You've made good progress on this Mike. Warmer weather is around the corner. See how it feels after a bit of a break. Wink
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Doktor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Hey MikeC. nice project bug ! Cool

Problems with oil leaking from the engine are probably related to pushrod tube seals and rear main seal under flywheel.

And yes, indeed, with my eyes closed, I would guess that I'm sitting in a bug just by the smell of interior. Smile

Keep up the good work and carry on. Wink
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Just sold Scooter to a young kid who lives a couple towns away...he is putting a big motor in it and air ride too....I wished him luck...

On to the next project...thinking about a Datsun truck again...

MikeC
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Just sold Scooter to a young kid who lives a couple towns away...he is putting a big motor in it and air ride too....I wished him luck...

On to the next project...thinking about a Datsun truck again...

MikeC

Good luck Mike!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: