Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 super beetle spot light
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

Anybody ever had a flat dash SB that has the spotlight for the center tunnel illumination? I had one on a 73 with the bigger dash,but the manual says the flat dash has the spot (number 18 in pic). Just curious cause I like having the heat levers illuminated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

No matter how hard I try, that little light does not illuminate anything but itself.
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

Those little bulbs are on a rather tight-fitting pivot so that it can be "aimed" at the levers (or shifter). The brightness is controlled by the dimmer for the instrument lights.
Replacing the bulb with an LED bulb makes it way brighter, and the LED bulbs are much more aim-able.

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

It worked well in my ‘74. Question remains, any seen it as a stock option in a flat dash super?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

My old '72 Super didn't have one.
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

My 72 Super/Vert doesn't have one but then again mines missing lots of things. Seems like every time I look at the car I find something that POs have removed, lost etc...
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

I think you're looking at the August 1972 Owner's Manual there... which was for 1973 Model Year.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

I have one in my '74 Ghia.

Something like a 1.2 watt bulb. Hardly throws any light out... an LED sounds like the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

Would love to have one again on this 72, just not sure how it would have been mounted from the factory. Anybody got pics?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

Well, 1972 didn't come with it, but I don't think it would be too hard to retrofit it, or something similar, to it. There are oodles of various lighting products out there, after all. These days the challenge might be to find something that wasn't too annoyingly bright. Unless you want that...

Speaking of which, personally, if I need to light that general area, I just flip the extra type 2 dome light I stuck under the glovebox on my bugs, as a "map light"

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

I have one in my ‘74, but the light it throws out is pitiful.

To be honest, the heater controls are easy to find in the dark. They’re just to your right (in the U.S.), on either side of the parking/emergency brake handle. New Fereral regulations required them to be illuminated, and VW came up with that silly little light which apparently squeaked by the new rule.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

Under my partial tray mounted is a small light that come on with the head light switch. Enough light is emitted on the floor area to see the shifter and heater controls, small packages etc. yet not detract from driving.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

What year? Pic?

gt1953 wrote:
Under my partial tray mounted is a small light that come on with the head light switch. Enough light is emitted on the floor area to see the shifter and heater controls, small packages etc. yet not detract from driving.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

rlutterb wrote:
It worked well in my ‘74. Question remains, any seen it as a stock option in a flat dash super?

It was never stock on a flat-dash Super.

It did not exist until the '73 model year and the only reason it existed then was a new U.S.A. federal regulation that required that defroster controls must be illuminated when the headlights are turned on.

It was fitted to '73 and later standard Beetles though so perhaps you can retrofit one.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

Depending on your precise intentions and desire, either of these could probably be made to work for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Pivoting-LED-Spotligh...T6GMZRQHN8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BODM7TS/ref=sspa_dk_d...rd_w=PlBPM
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Speaking of which, personally, if I need to light that general area, I just flip the extra type 2 dome light I stuck under the glovebox on my bugs, as a "map light"

I don't know much about under dash lighting, but I definitely DO like the "Pest Control System" stored on the door in top pic!

Very Happy
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 super beetle spot light Reply with quote

My answer to lighting the footwells/levers:

Battery powered touch 'puck lights' with magnets glued to the back of them.

It's a lovely thing to have metal so I can use magnets for semi-permanent installation of things Cool

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: