Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chrome Polishing -belt line deluxe trim-
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Chrome Polishing -belt line deluxe trim- Reply with quote

I have been polishing my og '67 deluxe belt-line trim for quite a while now, I'm making progress but it's taking a long time. I'm using Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish...wiping some on till it turns black, and then using a clean terry cloth to whipe it off.

Is there an easier way to do this? Like a buffing wheel, or a hand tool? Let me know what you use....I do have a wire/sharpening wheel in my shop, should I go buy a buffing wheel for it?

The pieces are definately shining up, but it's taking a lot of time. I do like the satisfaction of cleaning them, but can it be done quicker?

Also, any other polish work better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it your way first as well, but it was too much work and I wasn't getting the desired results. I took off the trim and used a buffing wheel with a buffing compound. Much much better. Be careful not to bend your trim though, especially the long passenger side piece. You can screw it down to a 2x4 to keep it straight.

Good luck, either way it takes some work, but much easier with a wheel.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as other polishes, I'd definitely recommend you trying one called Wenol. I've done maybe 1/3 of the trim on my bus, and it's awesome. I haven't gotten around to doing the rest yet (read: been too lazy).
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mothers works just fine.
I took mine off and rubbed it down with 000 steel wool to get the worst of the oxidation off. then have at it with the Mothers, it comes up to a mirror finish.
It sounds like you may be wiping off the polish too soon, Once the polish is on, you can rub it until it is all absorbed in the cloth, then wipe it down with a clean cloth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aah57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using steel wool and then never dull by eagle one and is working great!

Need westy parts so-34 and so-22!
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try the 000 steel wool, and then hitting it up with the Mother's. The 000 steel wool won't sctatch up the crome?

It's funny, the only piece that I haven't started to polish yet is the long drivers side piece. All the sections are removed, and I've had success using one inch screws to secure them to a 2 X 6 with a thinner piece of wood screwed to that.

Quote:
It sounds like you may be wiping off the polish too soon, Once the polish is on, you can rub it until it is all absorbed in the cloth, then wipe it down with a clean cloth.

Yeah, that may be the case. I did do that a few times, the cloth gets kind of a gold color to it, and I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. But now I know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone chrome plated it, it is aluminum trim.....
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: #000 Steel Wool Reply with quote

Well, I just took some #000 steel wool to it, and rubbed on some Mother's polish. Absolutely incredible! The steel wool takes off the decades of oxidation, then the Mothers shines it up. Sweet!! I was spending way too much time trying to polish it instead of removing the heavy oxidation first and then using the Mother's polish.

Thank you Riff Raff for the #000 steel wool tip, it's going to save me so much time. What do I owe thee?

I think I'm going to go back and steel wool/polish all of my other pieces too!
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: #000 Steel Wool Reply with quote

Jung Restoration wrote:

Thank you Riff Raff for the #000 steel wool tip, it's going to save me so much time. What do I owe thee?

Glad to help !
Your payment will be helping out a fellow bus guy with a problem he has that you have the answer to.

This forum has been such a tremendous resource for me, I am gratified that I am able to return the favour in some small way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i did the windows in my westy I wet sanded them with 600 then 1500, then 000 steel wool with polish and then again with a rag. It worked great.
I used the sandpaper because it took all the oxidation and most , if not all, of the pits out as well.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about 0000 steel wool Question I use that on old chrome to.
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else (campingbox?) mentioned screwing the trim down to a wooden block to hold it for polishing, and that was a great suggestion.
I recently did the deluxe trim spears for the rockers on my bus, and I just screwed them to a workbench and went nuts with the polishing wheels. Saved me a bunch of time.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said it before, and I'll say it again, SIMICHROME. German, works, worth EVERY PENNY!!!!! Been using it for 30 years. Wink
Jerry J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
Said it before, and I'll say it again, SIMICHROME. German, works, worth EVERY PENNY!!!!! Been using it for 30 years. Wink

My preference is Simichrome, too. It's gotten hard to find around here lately.

I'm working over the inside panel trim for my bus and I tried a buffing wheel on my Dremel. It didn't do much good. So I tried the 000 steel wool and that doesn't seem to cut it either.

'58 Bug
'63 KGhia
'67 Squareback
'67 Standard Bus
'60 Single cab
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome Polishing -belt line deluxe trim- Reply with quote

Anyone have suggestions for what grit sandpaper to start with for trim that is heavily oxidized? I read several of the threads on polishing deluxe trim, but couldn't find much on sand paper grit, most folks talk about steel wool.

I know Crofty mentioned he used 600 grit and then jumped to 1500 grit before polish on this thread.

I have some beltline trim that is really oxidized, I tried steel wool and it did not get everything out. There are still some oxidation and shallow pit marks here and there. And, the little section I used steel wool on took forever, so I need something that will work better....I'm thinking sandpaper.

I can't seem to find a good answer of where to start in terms of a grit number.

I wasn't sure if I should start with something high like 3000, or if that is going to be too soft and not clear off the marks? Or, should I start with 600 and work up from there? I wasn't sure if that coarse of a grit would cause undue scratches and mess the trim up more.

Basically, what is a good grit to start with, and where to go from there before polish?

Any info you can pass my way is greatly appreciated.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome Polishing -belt line deluxe trim- Reply with quote

I respect Crofty's opinion.
Try what he said.
If you're afraid of insurmountable damage... try it on a small scale to see how it goes.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome Polishing -belt line deluxe trim- Reply with quote

I used 0000 fine steel wool to remove the old built up oxidization then Mothers mag polish on a cotton buffing wheel attached to an electric drill. Then clean off the residue with a clean micro fiber cloth. I preferred doing mine on the bus because it never seems to stay looking straight once you pull it off the bus. Looks wavy after pulling it off and screwing it back on.
I used 2" wide painters masking tape to protect the paint.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome Polishing -belt line deluxe trim- Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
Anyone have suggestions for what grit sandpaper to start with for trim that is heavily oxidized? I read several of the threads on polishing deluxe trim, but couldn't find much on sand paper grit, most folks talk about steel wool.
You can start with a lower number paper, providing you work your way back up to remove the scratches.

I cleaned up some ambulance step trim that was in rough shape, with tons of scratches/gouges and wet sanded with 180 grit and finished with 600 grit; followed up with 0000 steel wool, then finished some aluminum polish.

Just using 0000 steel wool and polish works great providing whatever your working with is not heavily oxidized.

Also if you have pieces that need to be repaired and you do not have the ability to weld aluminum, there is an aluminum low-temp solder you can use that works awesome. Harbor Freight carries it, but it's cheaper on Ebay.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome Polishing -belt line deluxe trim- Reply with quote

scotch brite pads work well on aluminum wont load up like sand paper, easy to handle also, think there are 3 or so grits I wuse the maroon colored ones, grey are extra fine
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome Polishing -belt line deluxe trim- Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
scotch brite pads work well on aluminum wont load up like sand pape
Rubbing bar soap on your paper helps prevent loading up.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: