Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to do in San Ramon/ San Fran/ San Bruno?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: What to do in San Ramon/ San Fran/ San Bruno? Reply with quote

A friend and I will be in the San Francisco area from January 21 thru the 26th. Any samba members know of any cool things to do in the area or anything within a days drive? Vw related would be great but not necessary.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do in San Ramon/ San Fran/ San Bruno? Reply with quote

Just use google. It’s San Francisco. There’s about 5,826,497 things to do on any given day.

Go see Fort Point near the Golden Gate Bridge.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Go check out Treasure Island. It has cool views of the city.

Drive through downtown behind a yuppy Laughing

Take a tour of Alcatraz.
Check out one of the the many amazing restaurants.
Drive down Lombard St.
Check out the Walt Disney family museum.

Rent a vert and check out the city
http://thebugsterexperience.com/Home.html

There’s literally a million things to do.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do in San Ramon/ San Fran/ San Bruno? Reply with quote

Edit: Just noticed the “within a days drive” part.

TONS of wine tasting around there if you’re in to that.
Yosemite National Park is a 6 hour drive from SF.
Santa Cruz is 90 mins from SF
Monterey is a 2 hour drive away.
I think MG1 Motorsports is doing a Ferrari track day on the 21st and 22nd at Laguna Seca which near Monterey.
You can drive your personal car on Sonoma Raceway (Sears Point) for charity and get pictures of your car on the track. (1 hour drive from SF)
http://www.speedwaycharities.org/events/sonoma/5th-annual-laps-for-charity/

The things to do are endless.
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: What to do in San Ramon/ San Fran/ San Bruno? Reply with quote

I hopped an Amtrak way back in 2000 and rode from Greensboro NC to San Fran. It was a blast. I actually ended up being in the background of Dave Attell's insomniac, if you remember that show. I've done some of the typical San Fran stuff and I know my friend will also want to do those thing, I'm looking for some memorable things to do south of the area. I know we are going to the Santa Cruz boardwalk for her nephew's birthday. I've heard Muir Woods is good and another friend recommended Monterrey. I will be renting a car and we will be in the area roughly 5 days. Thanks again for the recommendations
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What to do in San Ramon/ San Fran/ San Bruno? Reply with quote

Cruise over to Yosemite & spend the night at the motels just outside the park entrance. Stay or at least have dinner at the Ahwahnee Lodge. That valley is one of a kind!
Drive over to Angels Camp/Sonora is pretty scenic/historic/museums/antiques etc.
Check out All the split window buses at Robert Skinner's Autobody in Vacaville.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: What to do in San Ramon/ San Fran/ San Bruno? Reply with quote

Well since it's legal now, I think all people do there is smoke pot. Enjoy Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do in San Ramon/ San Fran/ San Bruno? Reply with quote

I like to eat everywhere I go....search out some good eating places. not high priced look at me eat shit places, but good food places.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: What to do in San Ramon/ San Fran/ San Bruno? Reply with quote

http://blackhawkmuseum.org/

Usually a killer collection of vehicles at the museum.

Napa, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, Muir Woods for the Redwoods, SF, San Jose-Silicone Valley, Warriors if you want to watch hoops and Cal and Stanford and St Mary's and USF are there for college hoops, Sacramento is like 1 1/2 hour drive, and it is about 3 hours to Tahoe, then there is Big Sur etc up north.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: What to do in San Ramon/ San Fran/ San Bruno? Reply with quote

The Blackhawk museum is great, that's a good suggestion.

Yosemite is about 4 hours from San Francisco (under 200 miles) and VERY much worth it.

Livermore has 50+ wineries if you want a closer drive to taste some good wine.

Pescadero is a cute town on the coast and if you take the drive through Woodside or Skyline the drive is breathtaking. Soup at Duartes in Pescadero is a must and the beach is less then a 10 minute drive from there too.

Faction Brewing in Alameda is a great place with an amazing view of SF and the bay from their tasting room.

Downtown Walnut Creek has a some good places to eat- I love Brodericks for burgers.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do in San Ramon/ San Fran/ San Bruno? Reply with quote

AndrewM wrote:
Any samba members know of any cool things to do in the area?

Don't miss the Alcatraz tour...make tour reservations early. Check out the Musee Mecanique and tour the WWII submarine USS Pampanito...both down near Fisherman's Wharf. The Wharf area itself is mostly just a tacky tourist trap...avoid it if possible. Try riding the Cable Cars too...the POWELL-HYDE line has the best views and the CALIFORNIA line is the least crowded. The Cable Car Museum is really interesting too. Head up to Twin Peaks for a fantastic 360° view of the City. Have a drink at the Top of the Mark on Nob Hill. The Disney Museum in the Presideo is pretty cool. It's not just about Disneyland, but more about Walt's life & career. For a little culture, check out the DeYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park. The Exploritorium is big fun for kids of all ages. Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Driving around SF is a major PITA and trying to park a car in the downtown area is nearly impossible unless you pay an arm & a leg at a garage...use public transit if you can.

AndrewM wrote:
I know we are going to the Santa Cruz boardwalk for her nephew's birthday.

If you have a little extra time while in Santa Cruz, check out Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park. It's only a 15 minute drive from downtown and the easy Redwood loop trail will take you past some of the biggest old-growth Redwood trees you'll ever see. Some are over 2000 years old Shocked

Be sure to drive down Route One along the coast from SF to SC. Only a bit longer but well worth it!

Nothing worth seeing in San Ramon or San Bruno, unless you like looking at industrial parks.
'67 Ghia convertible (current)
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: